Jaws Yellow Barrels

figured I would post my barrel now that it looks like it belongs on the Orca...
image1.JPG

I came across an original screen used barrel at a convention a few years ago. I was volunteering as an assistant to Richard Dreyfuss. It was a private moment in a closed room. A fan brought the barrel for Richard to sign. There were only a few of us standing around him suggesting movie quotes. I suggested, "Don't wait for me.", since it was the moment in the movie his character was 'intimate' with the barrels. Richard eventually signed "You're wasting your time.". It was really cool to see Hooper and a barrel together IN PERSON. I got to hold the barrel. But sadly no photos of this event. I regret that big time. Ah, but the memories.

Here is my barrel. I bought it a few years ago from Susan and Lynn Murphy. They run a business in Martha's Vineyard, and they were hired as marine transportation on the original film. I guess they still have a few of these left over from the barge that was built for Bruce. The barrel is in really good shape, however the blue caps were sun beaten and cracked. As they were ready to crumble I did a two part mold and remade a set for myself. I passed a few sets along to the Murphy's, and they are available to anyone else who would like them. This was a much sought after prop, ever since I was 6 years old. I have never seen this prop in real life anywhere but on the Orca at Universal Studios in the 1980s (and in my den). It has a DOT code and an inscription on the bottom that says 'Born Free'. I also believe it was featured in one of the Police Academy movies, the one where Tackleberry gets married to Coleen Camp. The barrels are tied to the back of the Bigfoot truck in which the couple is driving away.

View attachment 340222View attachment 340221View attachment 340220

Hi Gary,

I'm on a mission to create scale replicas of almost every significant prop in JAWS, my shortlist being The Orca (plans done), Bruce(Plans and maquette in progress), The shark cage (almost complete), the barrel(s), Quints Shack. I started out this project at 1/8th scale but I think I've bitten off more than I can chew, no pun intended. Would you be able to share the dimensions of the barrel? I've drawn some plans to them based on an approximation of the height but, being the perfectionist that I choose to be, it's not as accurate as it could be. If you could help in any way I'd really appreciate it. Many thanks.

Hi, does anyone know what are the dimensions of the barrel? I Want to get a small one 3d printed.

Thanks in advance

DB

Last edited:
Hi, does anyone know what are the dimensions of the barrel? I Want to get a small one 3d printed.

Thanks in advance

DB

I have an actual production used barrel and had a 3-D artist render the barrel for me..I have it in 1/6 scale..Let me know if your interested.Ill be selling some on Ebay after the first of the year.Below is a pic..Its detailed right down to the raised lines on the caps.
barrel.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of the last barrels coming from Susan. Was wondering if you could help me out with a cap?? Thank you for this thread, that's how I found her!!

I have one of the last barrels coming from Susan. Was wondering if you could help me out with a cap?? Thank you for this thread, that's how I found her!!

Sorry for late reply..Help you with the cap?What do you mean?Let me know

c82ca064-7e48-420a-8d3f-a9e2d985a3d4-jpeg.jpg
I just noticed this for the first time. On one of my barrels it has a date code right in the little circle on the side of the barrel towards the bottom. Made in December 1973

Attachments

• C82CA064-7E48-420A-8D3F-A9E2D985A3D4.jpeg
    C82CA064-7E48-420A-8D3F-A9E2D985A3D4.jpeg
    920.2 KB · Views: 85
Hey guys, I've never been more serious than wanting to acquire a Jaws barrel than now. Heard stories of originals being sold out, and even reproductions. There's gotta be someone strapped for cash during Covid who would need to sell one. Right? A guy can dream.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back