Upside-down Kobold?

Since we are onto thin-knurled buttons - I came across this shot a while ago. A couple things of interest:

1) This is the only image I’ve seen on Dagobah where the hilt has 2 red buttons - (if someone has more would love to see!)
2) The one below the bunny ears is a thin-knurled button.
3) suspiciously, that is the same socket that later becomes, and stays, empty - as we know is the norm for the Dagobah saber.

I wonder if had it not been for just an accidental mishap on set where the red button came off, we would have seen a thin knurled button on screen?
View attachment 781969

you got some good eyes, i cant tell if thats a thin knurl or not... now im hunting for thin knurl...

Since we are onto thin-knurled buttons - I came across this shot a while ago. A couple things of interest:

1) This is the only image I’ve seen on Dagobah where the hilt has 2 red buttons - (if someone has more would love to see!)
3) suspiciously, that is the same socket that later becomes, and stays, empty - as we know is the norm for the Dagobah saber.

I wonder if had it not been for just an accidental mishap on set where the red button came off, we would have seen a thin knurled button on screen?
View attachment 781969

I have these saved somewhere in higher resolution but couldn’t find them just now. Here are the two I sent to Seth some time back.

Attachments

• 5D8DCD59-3D18-40DB-87A7-E3FB95E326F6.jpeg
    5D8DCD59-3D18-40DB-87A7-E3FB95E326F6.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 183
chris dying to see these in high rez, really curious to prove the thin knurling is on that button. i cant make it out, im getting too old :darnkids

I have these saved somewhere in higher resolution but couldn’t find them just now. Here are the two I sent to Seth some time back.

Wow, I’ve seen this pic before, and yet never noticed that! Is that definitely a red a button behind the ears? there’s clearly something there and I don’t know why it would be anything other than a red button but it looks a little flatter to me. Probably just an optical illusion though.

What is going on with the red button on the underside though - Is it like hanging out of the socket? That whole area looks weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew, I think this is the same stunt saber cause it’s got that weird black band/clamp thing going on and obviously it’s the same scene. here’s another angle that shows it has no bunny ears if it is the same one. For some reason I’m having trouble getting this attachment to load so hopefully it’s large enough to view.

FAAC2274-E6AD-4A80-8028-A9148451FD55.jpeg

Great research in this thread!

On a related note, I am so glad I held onto the thinned knurled band knob that I picked up on a Folmer in Texas last year.

I'll be using it on my "as built" version of the Dagobah hilt.

View attachment 781969

Drew, I think this is the same stunt saber cause it’s got that weird black band/clamp thing going on and obviously it’s the same scene. here’s another angle that shows it has no bunny ears if it is the same one. For some reason I’m having trouble getting this attachment to load so hopefully it’s large enough to view.

That looks like the ANH stunt tube, with black hex screws to hold the blades insert into place

As for the comment earlier, basically, it's a blurry B&W photo so some weird stuff may be happening with light. The bunny ears are so large that we wouldn't miss them, even if they were pinched. I only know of 2 or 3 stunts on set and looking at the photos, it either has full bunny ears or doesn't. This is the one I'm thinking.
04c6227ebc91d577efa0de5c3b079630--bob-anderson-throwback-thursday.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

are we all on board that the beer tab is still here on this pic... i see one little shine

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=781969&d=1514125526&thumb=1

Yep, I'll agree on that. Makes me so happy seeing this!

That looks like the ANH stunt tube, with black hex screws to hold the blades insert into place

As for the comment earlier, basically, it's a blurry B&W photo so some weird stuff may be happening with light. The bunny ears are so large that we wouldn't miss them, even if they were pinched. I only know of 2 or 3 stunts on set and looking at the photos, it either has full bunny ears or doesn't. This is the one I'm thinking.
View attachment 782000

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I'll agree on that. Makes me so happy seeing this!

Great... now I can’t find my beer tab and rivet I removed from my Gen1 roman.

And I’ve looked everywhere... damn it

Awww, you guys missed the surprise of seeing them in the new guide. :)

After I got these I rewatched the cave scene— up top it’s missing button version, but when he goes into the cave you can’t make anything out. I’m inclined to believe this production still though and assume it had two buttons.

Thanks, MS. Very interesting. My biggest difficulty is seeing no indication of the ear hole or the lower ear holder, while the top holder is clearly visible. Given the rampant specular highlights on the saber and all the plane changes we would see through and around an empty ear hole I think there would be something to see.

Constellation gazing, I get this notion of where the ears might be:

banged ears.jpg

Not ideal shape, but they could be banged up from dueling. I've heard that's something that happens.

I'm pretty new to all this and don't know anything about filming order, but here's some speculation (that might get bit wild): In the ear-less side view you posted I can't see either of the bars for holding the ears sticking out, or a red button. Comparing that with my Roman's Gen1, at that angle and resolution I believe indications of any of the three would be visible. If they are the same stunt saber, what if the ears were damaged between this pic and that and removed, and support bars bent in?

And the wild bit: might the black band and hex screws mean that's the Vader MOM saber in the making?

Placebo effect baby!! I have to say it sure does look like ears?!

What’s the chances of two sabers having gaffers tape on the clamp?

Thanks, MS. Very interesting. My biggest difficulty is seeing no indication of the ear hole or the lower ear holder, while the top holder is clearly visible. Given the rampant specular highlights on the saber and all the plane changes we would see through and around an empty ear hole I think there would be something to see.

Constellation gazing, I get this notion of where the ears might be:

View attachment 782030

Not ideal shape, but they could be banged up from dueling. I've heard that's something that happens.

I'm pretty new to all this and don't know anything about filming order, but here's some speculation (that might get bit wild): In the ear-less side view you posted I can't see either of the bars for holding the ears sticking out, or a red button. Comparing that with my Roman's Gen1, at that angle and resolution I believe indications of any of the three would be visible. If they are the same stunt saber, what if the ears were damaged between this pic and that and removed, and support bars bent in?

And the wild bit: might the black band and hex screws mean that's the Vader MOM saber in the making?

I had/have that sneaking suspicion as well about the MOM saber and this sucker. I haven’t spent enough time connecting those dots yet though. Also I think Tom has done a lot of work looking at the MOM, so I certainly defer to his expertise and current assessment.

Drew Baker I might agree with you now. This shot looks like this stunt has ears.

Clearly they shot these scenes a lot of times and no doubt used many different stunts. But I think I now agree with you that this particular stunt has ears.

View attachment 782334

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back