TRON 3 ?!

I loved Tron: Legacy and Tron: Uprising. I really hope they can do a sequel. I was pretty disappointed to hear that it was basically over and I do hope that Garrett Hedlund is right and it happens.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I'm gonna bump this thread because I finished a complete script for what I think would make an interesting Tron movie about a week ago (spent 8 months on and off on it). And just yesterday, gave it the old college try and called up dozens (literally) of agencies and managements, all saying they either didn't accept unsolicited material or that I needed one or the other first (which seems an impossibility). I also emailed an equal number of places that gave out addresses for inquiry letters about the script. I'm dubious, to say the least, and am sure it'll never get read, let alone made, but here's hoping for the best. I just want to see another Tron movie and this time it actually be about Tron!

Last edited:
So, I'll just ask the obvious question that everybody reading your post is thinking: what's it about!? I'm sure that you won't want to divulge much, as there's potentially $$ to be made in these sorts of ventures, but...I have to ask. =)

At this point I'm starting to think the only thing keeping Disney afloat in tv/movies is marvel and starwars as all their other stuff has been bombing. They need to hurry up as the cast from the original they could bring in aren't getting any younger.

So, I'll just ask the obvious question that everybody reading your post is thinking: what's it about!? I'm sure that you won't want to divulge much, as there's potentially $$ to be made in these sorts of ventures, but...I have to ask. =)

That's the thing! I want to divulge as much as I can; I want someone to talk about this with!:lol I proofread it and had two other friends read it and they think it's pretty good, but now I don't know if I actually have something good here or they're just stroking my ego.

In any case, the pitch in my letters was this: "Children of Men meets the Matrix, dressed in neon lights".

At this point I'm starting to think the only thing keeping Disney afloat in tv/movies is marvel and starwars as all their other stuff has been bombing. They need to hurry up as the cast from the original they could bring in aren't getting any younger.

That's really the only reason what spurred me to write the damn thing in the first place. Tron's gettin' a bit long in the tooth!

It wasn't canceled for lack of a script. Steve Lisberger knew where he was taking the story next. He wasn't going to half-ass it and just put something with the Tron label slapped on it. He didn't want to remake the original. It took as long as it did in part because he wanted to do the setting and characters justice and acknowledge the drastic advances in technology since the first. When he made Legacy, he had a trilogy plotted out. Everyone involved, except, apparently, Disney's execs, thought it did more than well enough to warrant continuing. That's why Disney's waffling and ultimate plug-pulling is so painful and baffling.

--Jonah

That I have a hard time swallowing.

I like Legacy but I'm not above stating that there are obvious issues with the film. And from what Hedlund mentions about the third movie, in the link on the previous page, it's not that there is a lack of scripts (he's read some treatments, it's said) but it obviously points to a lack of a concrete story. Trilogies, I assume, only go so far as being "pre-planned" by way of contract agreements where people signed onto it are in it for three movies.

With how tepid the second movie was received from critics and their target audience, I can perfectly understand why they're not in a hurry on moving this along. They needed a franchise to draw a crowd and when their old properties weren't doing it; they just bought other ones that were working. But, having said all that, I do feel now is a better time than any to try and get some momentum going when people are least expecting it.

I was going by what Lisberger specifically said in his lengthy interview in Wired right around the time Legacy was about to come out. I'll dig it out this afternoon and quote. But he had mapped out where the story was going over at least two films, and Disney knew and understood that, from their meetings (should Legacy do well enough, of course).

Disney has a very mixed, and too often horrendous, track record advertising their live-action films, from The Black Hole to John Carter to Tron: Legacy. I loved Legacy. I could totally tell it was a torch-passing film, and definitely leading up to more. I do not get the ambivalence or outright dislike for it, from audiences or critics.

But since Disney has said no to more Tron, and since that choice is not due to lack of story ideas, I don't know if that's a good property to be shopping around to try to get established. There are reasons I've been hanging onto the Transformers script I started back in '99 or so. I, personally, think it's orders of magnitude better than any or all of the TF films Michael Bay has given us, but as long as Hasbro remains committed to Bayformers, there is no market for it. For the time being, it's just a writing exercise.

--Jonah

Maybe you could sell the TF script to a game company, the G1 inspired game did pretty good so maybe they'd do it the way it's meant to be. Bay is plague on this world.

Maybe you could sell the TF script to a game company, the G1 inspired game did pretty good so maybe they'd do it the way it's meant to be. Bay is plague on this world.

It's not really suited for a game. My focus was more on intrigue and investigation -- trying to find the Decepticons in time, with the only sizable physical confrontation at the climax. I played up the "in disguise" point. Actually, I had a bit of fun with the first batch of Autobot vehicle disguises partly drawn from an exotic-car concours and the 'Bots utterly baffled when the human who finds them tries to explain why an Alitalia-sponsored Lancia Stratos or a Martini-sponsored Porsche 935, etc., aren't good disguises. So homage is paid to the original toys before they adopt forms a bit less conspicuous... For the most part. Sunstreaker throws a hissy when they try to tell him he has to stop being a Lamborghini, and his brother sticks with him, but compromise is reached. *flips through a few notes* ...The persistence of memory in beings that live for millions of years, how time is perceived when they don't have a sun, the Decepticons' almost-superstitious and probably subconscious emphasis on threes...

Who knows what would've happened had you pushed for it. How many hearts would you have saved from breaking. :lol

I've actually had a bit from Dune playing in my head. Where the Baron is talking about how Rabban is going to drive the people of Arrakis into utter submission, that he's not to show them the slightest pity or mercy. And when they've been beat down to their lowest, he'll send Feyd-Rautha to be their savior. *chuckle* I plan to live long enough to see Bayformers go away again, and I'll be ready. A good treatment, the "first thirty", some compelling concept art, and maybe a test reel.... Stuff to keep in your back pocket, self-funded or donated from friends who have the time and the skills, for the time when you see an opening... even thought that time isn't now, frustratingly enough...

--Jonah

I'm hopeful for the Incredibles sequel.
Not so much with another Toy Story. They ended it on a good note.
No more Cars or Planes either thanks.

Aside from that that, though, I agree, most animated films lately have been crap or look like crap. Saw a preview for some animated movie about a Polar bear. My 9 year old son said "That looks stupid... why do they keep making these dumb movies?".

Yeah we need endings to partly finished trilogies or some sequels that have been wanted. Disney is just milking Cars/Planes and Toy Story. Not to mention Johnny Depp and his POTC is still alive!
@PoopaPapaPalpsaPappaPalps, I'd love to hear more! My concept of TR3N involved Tron heavily, but also included Alan in a team of goodies, plus baddies such as Dillinger and his program counterpart. I haven't filled in the subplots but my overall idea is there, if I ever have time and enough bandwith I think I may make a youtube video explaining it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JLeezy23

If you ever get it worked out, I'd love to hear what you have in mind. My story has Alan, Dillinger, and Sam in it but they're side characters to some new ones and it really wraps up their involvement with the Grid by the end. My real goal was to keep the movie around Tron and his plight in the Grid, caused not by Programs (I got tired of seeing Program v. Program), but by Users and their involvement. One theme that I really wanted in the story, without giving too much away and without getting too cerebral, was that no one's hands are completely clean.

Last edited:
@JLeezy23

If you ever get it worked out, I'd love to hear what you have in mind. My story has Alan, Dillinger, and Sam in it but they're side characters to some new ones and it really wraps up their involvement with the Grid by the end. My real goal was to keep the movie around Tron and his plight in the Grid, caused not by Programs (I got tired of seeing Program v. Program), but by Users and their involvement. One theme that I really wanted in the story, without giving too much away and without getting too cerebral, was that no one's hands are completely clean.

I was actually trying to figure a story treatment that would have involved more elements from the 2003 TRON 2.0 video game, having Jet Bradley being involved. The idea would have had Sam and Quorra try to keep ahead of a group of Dillinger Systems security team after Dillinger Systems perform a hostile takeover of Encom (literally hostile) in the real world, while Jet Bradley tries to help TRON and Yori during the take-over in system, with old-man Dillenger leading the charge of a system wide attack as a new MCP due to an experimental transport accident.

All I had was B-E, but didn't have A, F-Q. The ending would have set up a hook where due to reverse-engineering the Dillinger MCP program and use the fractured remains of Flynn from T:L to become a Flynn MCP to use for a counter-attack against Dillinger Systems.

I have heard word from the inside that basically, Disney is putting a majority of their resources towards the Star Wars franchises. So much so they actually are loosing interest in the Marvel franchise. They are supporting it, but now the mentality is if Marvel does not have a set return they expect, their resources would be better spent on the SW franchise. Those that are applying for SW / Disney licensing are paying through the nose up front, so it does not matter so much what comes out as Disney will already have the monies in hand.

Given this and the issue of having their hands full with two winning franchises as well other foundation Disney shows, both TV and Movie, they felt tron did not preform well in animation and that it may not be worth the risk, especially after the failure of Tomorrowland. Brad Bird was considered no losses director, low risk and he failed. So everything a week after that movie dived was re-examined and weighed with a new "risk factor" based on Bird's own past success. It was a knee jerk reaction, but with everything on their plates already, Tron was a unnecessary risk in an already crowded movie release schedule. It's not dead dead but the chances of reviving it gets lower as time passes due to the actors involved/needed. Sucks, but it is right now what it is, Avengers 2 is considered a failure at a 1.8 billion box office, Disney has overly high expectations.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back