How will we feel if Luke Skywalker never sparks a lightsaber in TLJ

This is how I'd do it...

Enter scene: Rey stands before Luke Skywalker, her arm outstretched towards him holding his long lost lightsaber....

Luke: "Now that's a lightsaber I've not seen in a long time. A long time" (Luke rubs his mechanical hand with his left hand).

He reaches out slowly and Rey hands the Skywalker Family Lightsaber to him.

Luke: "My Father wanted me to have this when I was old enough, but my Uncle wouldn't allow it." (CRACK-HISSS!!!! the lightsaber springs to life! The light illuminating Rey's face and eyes)

Luke: "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. How did you come by it?"

Rey: "It... called to me, but I want nothing to do with it. It's yours, you keep it."

Luke: (Deactivates the lightsaber) "And what would I have need of it for?"

Rey: "What? You're needed to help defeat The First Order. General Organa-Solo sent me to deliver it to you so that you could fight them!"

Luke: "I have forseen a great many things. The Force is strong in my Family. My Father had it, I have it, my sister has it..."(Luke looks down at the ground) "her son has it. My..." (Luke looks back up at Rey)... "I have no need of this lightsaber."

(The ground shakes. Giant boulders elevate behind Luke and what appears to be a headstone cracks in half. Luke jerks his head to see the headstone fall over, a wave of emotion crosses his face, then snaps to calm and the boulders crash to the ground.)

Rey: " How can you say that? You're the Last Jedi! You have to join the fight!"

Luke: " No, there is another way. Always two there are, a Master, and an Apprentice."

Rey looks on confusedly.

Luke: "You are to learn the ways of the Force if you are to accompany me to this conflict. And you will need this..." (He stretches out his mechanical hand, still holding the lightsaber in it)

Luke: " I want you to have it."

I think that's way too many quote references from 30 years of lost time for Luke to directly quote from the OT, haha! I'm very interested to know HIS story of what happened during all that time lost in exile. What was he doing after the events of Kylo and the Knights wiping out the people he was training? He had to have been there for a deep purpose. As devastating of what happened to him trying to grow the Jedi order again, I don't picture Luke as one to just hide.

Even when the odds were against him in ESB he went in alone to try and help his friends. Sure he was younger (and more foolish?) then, he was also brave. In Return of the Jedi, he stood up to Jabba ALONE while his friends were not in the position to help him in the palace. Certainly a good Jedi such as Luke or Obi-Wan have the capacity to handle themselves.

What I want to know is, with as good as he is, how was Kylo able to deceive Luke and him not know it? Maybe only certain types can sense things such as Yoda, who must not have seen it either because he didn't drop by to give the heads up.

Yoda: "Luke.... Dude.... Betray you, Ben will."
Luke: "What are you talking about, Yoda? Ben is with you in the afterlife. Go away, little old creepy monster."
Yoda: "But....."
Luke: "Not hearing it. Happy April Fools Day to you, too..."

{10 minutes later the slaughter}

Luke: "Ooooohhhhhhh.... THAT Ben....."
Yoda: "You dumb-a**. To exile you must go."

There had to be some very dark power that allowed Kylo to do what he did and put Luke in check. He should have seen it.

On the note of Kylo Ren... I think many underestimate him with all these whiny claims. Anakin was whiny before he made his final turn. We only know Kylo in his younger time making his way through the First Order and not later on as he's matured (the way many know him as Vader). And give the guy a little break. He grew up in the almost complete absence of his parents. That can screw a person up pretty bad to not have the guidance and love from a Mom and Dad. This is his life, he's obviously trying to find purpose. He's damaged, angry, strong, and uncertain of where he is. It makes him a very dangerous character and interesting as well. I'm very curious to see if he makes a turn back to the good side. He obviously knows Snoke is taking advantage of him. I could tell his mind was rolling and almost questioning himself while Han was trying to tell him he was being used. Even though his Dad wasn't there much for him, he wouldn't lie to his own son, and I think even Kylo/Ben knows that.

Anyway, back to Luke and answering the question.... Even given all Luke has been miserable over dealing with his failure and loss, I can't see him throwing out the lightsaber. He's strong with the force, but not even Obi-Wan never kept his saber at home that I ever knew. He still needs it for protection just in case.

And that's a lot of garb he's wearing to conceal where a lightsaber could be held on a belt. ;)

Hey JLeezy23 ! I like the story arc, but it needs to be more Star-Wordsy. If the vernacular was different if would feel more at home in a Star Wars movie, if you get my meaning. I'm not so sure about the concept of Luke testing Rey with a rock attack during their first momemnts together. And I wouldn't give her Force block and throw right out of the gate either. Luke wasn't very good at that in ESB and he'd had a little training. ;) Now, a lightsaber duel to say hello? We know she can use that, she's pointing it at him, and maybe he freeks out a bit!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yoda: "Luke.... Dude.... Betray you, Ben will."......Luke: "Ooooohhhhhhh.... THAT Ben....."

(Luke: "I hate that Han nicknamed him that. If you'd have said 'Betray you, Jacen will.', I would have known right off who you were speaking of!")

That can screw a person up pretty bad to not have the guidance and love from a Mom and Dad.

He did have his Uncle Luke though; who should have been better versed at sensing the conflict within him.

Even given all Luke has been miserable over dealing with his failure and loss, I can't see him throwing out the lightsaber. He's strong with the force, but not even Obi-Wan never kept his saber at home that I ever knew. He still needs it for protection just in case. And that's a lot of garb he's wearing to conceal where a lightsaber could be held on a belt. ;)

I agree, he has his lightsaber, even if it's tucked away in a chest somewhere on Ahch-to. Maybe he found Yoda's lightsaber and he has it built into his mechanical forearm like a Deringer!?

I will feel let down, if Luke doesn't in some way display or at least hint at his ability to wield the force like no Jedi we've ever seen. Doesn't have to be a lightsaber, but that would be nice ;)

If they fail to convey that, I'm probably done being excited with the new saga.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I'm fine with it. Let's shake things up.

Luke can be more of a Yoda-like figure, but one who is much more clearly conflicted about his role with respect to the Force. Yoda never appeared to be regretful of -- or even aware of -- any failures he may have had in the Old Republic. Luke, on the other hand, I expect to be VERY clearly and keenly aware of his failures.

I also expect one of the messages of the film to be that we cannot turn to our old heroes to save us, we cannot rely on our teachers to shield us, because they were never really heroes at all and as teachers, they didn't know everything either. They failed in many ways, even though they succeeded in others, and it falls to us to take their place, right their wrongs as best we can, and minimize the damage we do in the process, to make a better future.

Long-ish quasi-psychological/political theory incoming.

So, Star Wars -- the original trilogy -- was all about big bold fairy tale heroes. And it's wonderful for what it is. But the new films seem to be pretty clearly moving away from that, in a sense, or at least applying a somewhat more modern spin on the classic space fairy tale. At the end of TFA, when Rey is standing there holding out Luke's lightsabre to him, and he looks at her, their two looks speak volumes.

Rey is imploring Luke to take up his old weapon and save the galaxy once again. Luke is looking at her knowing that he cannot, that he is not the savior she thinks he is and cannot become it, whatever he may once have been. That's where we left off, and I think it's safe to assume that the future will have Rey assuming the role of galactic savior and protector (of sorts).

And that raises some psychological/political/demographic issues. The Greatest Generation -- the generation that fought WWII -- became kind of mythologized over the last 60-70 years. They were big damn heroes who won a clear good guys vs. bad guys war in no uncertain terms, and then rebuilt the countries they destroyed until they became peaceful, prosperous allies. You can't ask for a better success story.

Of course, they also screwed up plenty, imposing rigid social structures on their world, which their children -- the Baby Boomers -- ultimately upended. The Baby Boomers won great social and political victories, but (in some sense) have hung on far longer than their parents did, and have exerted an enormous influence on our culture and our politics, and in ways that have ultimately proven destructive and -- from a certain point of view -- cannibalistic. (e.g., baby boomers not retiring from jobs means less workplace mobility and opportunity for advancement for their kids -- in broad strokes) To an extent, the Baby Boomers also believe the myth of the Greatest Generation (because it ties into the myth of the Baby Boomers themselves as those who upset the old order, and what a big deal that was). Now we find ourselves at a turning point, with Baby Boomers still running the show, and the Milennials (and, oh yeah, Gen-X, because we always end up forgotten, but whatever, it's cool man...), and there's an element of us still turning to the Baby Boomers to "fix it." We trusted them to fix it, to run it, to take care of things for so long, and now...stuff's pretty well busted. We hand them that lightsabre, saying "Come on! You did it before, do it again! Save us!" not realizing that...we're the ones holding the sabre, and it's up to us to fix it; their time has passed, and our time is now.

I kinda feel like the new Star Wars films are embodying that. Han got killed by his own son. We don't know all the details of why, but he appears to have failed as a father and as a husband. Leia failed, too, as a mother, and as a galactic leader, with the First Order ultimately destroying the Republic capitol, and she only realizing the threat when it was too late. Luke clearly failed to rekindle the fire of the Jedi, and -- in the wake of that failure -- has retreated to solitude. And now, Rey turns to him for help, when ultimately, she's the one who has to do it for herself.

I guess depending on the circumstances Luke may need to use it. Qui-Gon was Obi-wan's master and he took his saber out a number of times, so there's no reason to think Luke would be absolutely against it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If memory serves me correctly didn't we see a second wave of figure releases just after "The Force Awakens"?
I'm on the fence with what people are saying about this. Certainly Lukes toy figure has a set of stock phrases such as "Trust your instincts" and ,rather more menacingly, "I'll show you the true meaning of the Force" much like Yoda did.
But I am betting that when Rey finds him in this fit of deep Jedi "depresssion", where he seems to have turned his back on everything ( including the fighting) when she is eventually threatened by Kylo and the Knights of Ren he'll rediscover that truely heoric spirit that has always been a part of the original Luke Skywalker.

I'm also rather suspicious about how they have really armoured up Snoke guards and have emphasised how they wanted them to be able to really fight, move quickly and fluidly and be combat ready. That says to me there is definitely a scene or two where there is going to be a lot of lightsabre sword play and I don't think it will be down to just Rey.

I just hope that Luke doesn't have some ridiculous over the top Force power up.

Last edited:
My rendition of the first scene takes into account the news we heard about this being the first SW film thats the most different SW film unlike the others :)

What I want to know is, with as good as he is, how was Kylo able to deceive Luke and him not know it? Maybe only certain types can sense things such as Yoda, who must not have seen it either because he didn't drop by to give the heads up.

They can't pattern the Sequels after the OT if they did anything different. They wanted Luke as the lone Obi Wan figure without any other Jedi for that reason. I may be wrong, but seeing the direction so far I think they are perfectly fine now with betraying Luke's character in order to make their own movies. I think most of us know that Obi Wan and Yoda clearly intended Luke to rebuild the Jedi Order in some form. He wasn't supposed to just go train one person. I also doubt Luke, who faced down the most powerful Sith Lords in history, would be all depressed and mopey the way it sounds like he will be played. I don't know if a bunch of the "everybody gets a trophy" generation wrote this and want Luke to get to a safe space before he can man up or what. :lol

Rey is going to be the last jedi- I am sure luke will sacrifice himself (much like Obi One ) and similar to how empire strikes back ended it will seem like doom and gloom for the good guys.

Rey is going to be the last jedi- I am sure luke will sacrifice himself (much like Obi One ) and similar to how empire strikes back ended it will seem like doom and gloom for the good guys.
Well, in french, the last jedi has been translated into a plural, implying there is more than one. Doubt that it's an error ! Just pointing it out.

If Luke does not ignite a lightsaber in the upcoming film, my inner child will be severely wounded and I will shed a single tear upon my pillow as I cry myself to sleep.

This will be followed by months of extensive counseling in which I will be forced to question what I should do now that life has lost all purpose for me.

Please, please, please...don't post such terrifying questions which potentially could be so soul shattering.

Depending on where the story is going (I've been trying to be relatively spoiler free), I can definitely see Luke sparking up the saber in episode IX being more impactful than in TLJ.

They can't pattern the Sequels after the OT if they did anything different. They wanted Luke as the lone Obi Wan figure without any other Jedi for that reason. I may be wrong, but seeing the direction so far I think they are perfectly fine now with betraying Luke's character in order to make their own movies. I think most of us know that Obi Wan and Yoda clearly intended Luke to rebuild the Jedi Order in some form. He wasn't supposed to just go train one person. I also doubt Luke, who faced down the most powerful Sith Lords in history, would be all depressed and mopey the way it sounds like he will be played. I don't know if a bunch of the "everybody gets a trophy" generation wrote this and want Luke to get to a safe space before he can man up or what. :lol

This, ∆∆∆∆∆∆ ! "Everybody gets a trophy" a perfect picture of this generation. Sad but true . My nephew just graduated tech school and got a great job building aircraft. He shoots and hunts, and never got a trophy he didn't earn. He gives me a small glimmer of hope. It's only a small one, but it's a bigger hope than I have for these movies, LoL.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back