2199 Falcons and Cosmo Zeros

blakeh1

Sr Member
When I was a kid I loved watching the americanized version of the Space Battleship Yamato - Starblazers.

Recently I've been watching the updated 2199 version. The animation is awesome to watch and very cinematic. I was amazed at how well it was done and also glad to see it in the Japanese format with subtitles. No more "Captain Avatar" and "Derek Wildstar", now the intended Captain Okita and Susume Kodai etc...

At any rate. I love the ship designs, so here are the Bandai 1/72 fighters from the series I've done so far

Yamamoto's Alpha 2 Cosmo Zero

18r43RK.jpg

Kato's Como Falcon

l6VoDW5.jpg

And the figures (these guys are smaller than 1" so zoomed in real close the paint looks a little lumpier than I'd have liked)

and here they are next to some other popular 1/72 friends. Funny the petite anime compared to the hulking rebels

Last edited:
Re: 2199 Falcons and Cosmos

Very nice job! as for the figures... the one rebel pilot next to BB-8 looks like Porkins compared to the anime pilots!

Hot Void !!! Those are fantastic !!!!! Super job on both fighters and the pilots. Thanks for sharing these.

Awesome builds and paint jobs!

I came into this thread for Space:2199 and stayed for Space Battleship Yamamoto ...

(I know, I know, the updated Anderson series is called Space 2099, but hey ...)

You did a great job on those!

I love those Bandai EX kits. I've got an EX Black Tiger around here somewhere, I think. Afraid I can't do it justice, though.

Thanks everyone.

The Y-wing rebel pilot on the right sure looks a little bloated. More like he is wearing the thicker Hoth gear. His head looks kind of small

@mike J - I've been looking at those Ex kits. I think they are 1/100 scale. They look good and are based on the older series. I always liked the Black

Tiger as well, but in the 2199 series they replaced them with the Falcons. They seem hard to find now unless you scour E-Bay

@DaddyfromNaboo - I didn't know there was a 2099 series for space 1999. I'll have to look into that

Very nice work on the 2199 Yamato fighters. Can't wait for the next series called 2202. I hope Bandai will make some EDF designs especially the Andromeda!

Can't wait for the next series called 2202. I hope Bandai will make some EDF designs especially the Andromeda!

Is that going to be what was the Comet empire stuff from the original series? 1/500 Andromeda would sure be awesome, or at the very least a 1/1000 one

What I'd really love to see though is a 1/72 Seagull

Damn those look fantastic! I love these designs.....the Zero has ALWAYS had a special place in my heart ever since I was a kid, and the 2199 updates made it look even better, IMO. You did an awesome job on them. :)

Chris

Gave Shinohara's Cosmo Falcon a matte varnish to get rid of the shiny waterslide transfers film. Also gave it a few tweaks and added the missiles and painted the standing figure
I also painted Kodai's figure in prep for his Cosmo Zero which is next on the bench

I couldn't seem to get a totally crisp pic of the small figures

I love this angle for the fighter. Looks very predatory

The downside to the kit, is the front part near the cockpit does not fit very well and leaves large noticeable gaps. I tried filling that with Squaron Putty, but from handling it, the putty has actually come out of the gaps. I guess that's what I get for not gluing the pieces and just relying in the filler to hold. The problem was, gluing them would cause fit problem later since they need a little flex to put some other pieces on.

It could also be that since the Bandai plastic is a bit different, normal styrene stuff doesn't not stick as well

I am planning on painting a vanilla version (Same blue and yellow, but without the shark mouth and white accents on the side thrusters instead of black and no black markings on the wings or tail fin)

With that one I will assemble it all first, , then glue the front, then putty. Maybe I'll use greenstuff instead to fill the gaps instead of Squadron putty.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back