New alternative for Solo Blaster

41584670970_e27580e6e3_c.jpg
TFA/Solo grill by chubsANDdoggers

Upgraded my blaster's grill! Thx chubsANDdoggers! It slides in the slot a bit - think I'll add some double stick tape underneath to fix it in place while remaining removable, unless you have another recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[url]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/923/41584670970_e27580e6e3_c.jpg[/url]TFA/Solo grill by chubsANDdoggers

Upgraded my blaster's grill! Thx @chubsANDdoggers! It slides in the slot a bit - think I'll add some double stick tape underneath to fix it in place while remaining removable, unless you have another recommendation.

Thanks for getting the grille [emoji106]

Tape folded will do the trick. Also just a dab of glue will work well enough and its easy to remove if needed as well.

What has worked for me on the two that I’ve built so far is spray painting the inside as well as the outside. That seems to add enough “friction” to hold it in place. Or at least it has for the two I’ve built with so far..

Again thanks for using the grille, much appreciated [emoji482]

I just unpacked my AW Custom today and am contemplating the flash hider finish.
Will carb & choke cleaner strip this paint?
Since I have some already (cheap!), and it's not proper paint stripper,
so there might be some nice weathering effects...

Thoughts/experience with this?

-G

I just unpacked my AW Custom today and am contemplating the flash hider finish.
Will carb & choke cleaner strip this paint?
Since I have some already (cheap!), and it's not proper paint stripper,
so there might be some nice weathering effects...

Thoughts/experience with this?

-G

If the metal has a anodize finish, oven clean should stripe it off with ease. That’s what I use to remove anodize

I don’t know if that is anodize though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the metal has a anodize finish, oven clean should stripe it off with ease. That’s what I use to remove anodize

My goal is to reduce/remove the gloss of the factory finish.
I don't really have the time & space to do a full strip and recoat
(even though the results look totally worth it),
but would like it to be less shiny.

To that end, so far I've wiped it down with Throttle Body Cleaner and non-acetone nail polish remover,
which has dulled things a bit.

Do you think oven cleaner would have more effect?

By the way, keep in mind the plastic parts in the top of the receiver - they are white under the paint (oops!)

Next I'll shuffle it along the concrete floor a couple times. #realdamageiscool

-G

My aluminum black arrived, so I continue with this project. I stumbled across something. When I ran out of aluminum black, I tried regular gun blue and it turned the aluminum goldish brown. I used it on the flash hider for a heat discoloration effect.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180220/c3e838eb09ab72b08453407eaf4109ce.jpg

BipeFlyer, I love that look !! Looks like real heat discoloration from a laser shot. Awesome. I would like to do the same. I've already got the Aluminum Black for the rest of the blaster, but which "regular gun blue" did you use on the flash hinder? Birchwood Casey has Perma Blue and there is also Super Blue. Or did you use a different manufacturer? Thanks for hitting upon the technique.

Glass cabochons added to the scope. Gives the illusion of optics quite nicely.
View attachment 802935View attachment 802936

Thanks BradWright, My local hobby shops did not have the glass cabochons. Did not want to wait for online delivery.

Went to the dollar store. Found a snack clip with a plastic lens on the label. It fit perfectly for the rear lens. Just had to do a little clean up on the edges. Fit right in. In the same store found a small magnifying lens in the eyeglass repair kit. Dremeled to fit the front lens. I used the flat-plastic lens that came with the scope as templates - Rear Lens (28.8 mm) & Front Lens (20 mm). I'm sure the glass cabochons look better, but the plastic ones does the trick for $2 !!! I did a similar solution on a previous project (Akira Laser Rifle).

Lens for Han Solo Blaster.jpg

BipeFlyer, I love that look !! Looks like real heat discoloration from a laser shot. Awesome. I would like to do the same. I've already got the Aluminum Black for the rest of the blaster, but which "regular gun blue" did you use on the flash hinder? Birchwood Casey has Perma Blue and there is also Super Blue. Or did you use a different manufacturer? Thanks for hitting upon the technique.
Thanks, it was a lucky accident. I didn't really know if it would do anything.

Yes, it is Birchwood Casey Perma Blue paste.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks, it was a lucky accident. I didn't really know if it would do anything.

Yes, it is Birchwood Casey Perma Blue paste.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BipeFlyer, Thanks for the info. Yes, happy accidents have saved in the past, especially after a disaster which i thought would have ruined a project ...

Picked up one of the grills for my AW Custom. Very pleased, compared to the original. :) Huge improvement.

Terrible paint job, but I was in a rush. I may clean it up a bit at some point. I'll definitely add weathering at some point, which will help, too. And I'll probably pick up another at some point, since have two of these now... this one will stay on the "beater".

20180730153355-7a62fe94-me.jpg

20180730153353-ab952319-me.jpg

Good to know the "sliding" is expected, and it's not just me. A drop of E6000 should fix that nicely, once I'm done painting.

Picked up one of the grills for my AW Custom. Very pleased, compared to the original. :) Huge improvement.

Terrible paint job, but I was in a rush. I may clean it up a bit at some point. I'll definitely add weathering at some point, which will help, too. And I'll probably pick up another at some point, since have two of these now... this one will stay on the "beater".

http://www.kppix.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2018/07/30/20180730153355-7a62fe94-me.jpg

http://www.kppix.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2018/07/30/20180730153353-ab952319-me.jpg

Good to know the "sliding" is expected, and it's not just me. A drop of E6000 should fix that nicely, once I'm done painting.

kman, Which 3D print option did you go with from Shapeways? I was thinking of Black premium, but did you select "Smooth" or "Smoothest" instead?

(P.S. FYI, You pictures did not show up on your post, only links when I replied to your post)

Here's a quick look at how to dissemble the sight mechanism on the on the scope. <snip>

After removing the two small screws on the top off the knurled brass knob the small brass center cover plate can be removed. This will expose a small phillips head screw in the center. This is the screw that holds the knurled knob onto the scope. The cross hair sight is also attached to the bottom of the knob by the screw so after the screw is removed the crosshairs will fall down into the scope.

I managed to strip the head on the center screw, so:

1) If I manage to extract it, what size replacement do I need?

2) Can the knob be weathered/darkened while installed?

-G

kman, Which 3D print option did you go with from Shapeways? I was thinking of Black premium, but did you select "Smooth" or "Smoothest" instead?

(P.S. FYI, You pictures did not show up on your post, only links when I replied to your post)

Some business firewalls have an issue with my web host for some reason. The photos are there. Try looking at it on your phone, perhaps?

I bought the "Smooth fine detail plastic" version.

Some business firewalls have an issue with my web host for some reason. The photos are there. Try looking at it on your phone, perhaps?

I bought the "Smooth fine detail plastic" version.

kman, I was viewing on my home Internet, no firewalls but I do have Ad blockers on. Thanks. And thanks to the answer to my question.

kman, I was viewing on my home Internet, no firewalls but I do have Ad blockers on. Thanks. And thanks to the answer to my question.

No problem. Hope you're able to see them on mobile or something then. No ads on my host... the links are direct to a plain JPG.

Picked up one of the grills for my AW Custom. Very pleased, compared to the original. [emoji4] Huge improvement.

http://www.kppix.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2018/07/30/20180730153355-7a62fe94-me.jpg

http://www.kppix.com/piwigo/_data/i/upload/2018/07/30/20180730153353-ab952319-me.jpg

Thanks for the kind words on the grille kman [emoji482]

My 2 cents is just add a little graphite powder to finish it off..

303ded485dd5fab9210b2a8ad48873d7.jpg
5e3e30c5465a1d96593ee29048a5dd2e.jpg

Orange plug compatible with flash hider

Others have posted about problems/consternation with the mandated orange plug
in the AW Custom airsoft pistol,
but mine is no impediment at-all and so will stay, and I plan on filling it
to more obviously block the muzzle.

DL44BarrelPlug-EndCROP.jpgDL44BarrelPlug-SideCROP.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back