Chief Jim Hopper Costume and Props Thread

You're probably right, and it looks like all Akubras are fur felt.

Looking over wool felt fedoras, they do tend to be much less expensive, though I couldn't find one super close to the Hopper hat.

I don't think it's been mentioned but Flying Cross, the maker of the shirts, makes matching pants in Silver Tan that come with the back pocket flaps.

Their site calls them Command Pants Item #3900 Style T7-918

https://i.imgur.com/rua4XJx.jpg
Here's a screen shot of the Flying Cross site showing these pants.

https://i.imgur.com/Wry3X5n.jpg

UPDATE:

If just now (17 January) ordered the pants online from Galls.

They're not listed on their site, I had to call customer service at 800-477-7766 and custom order them. Galls calls them Item Number ZY048.

UPDATE:

Received the pants. They are super-comfortable and fit great. Here they are, on the left, with Dickies on the right. The Dickies were picked from several colours to hand at the shop, being the colour closest to the shirt. All of the Dickies were too yellow-ochre, this pair just a tad, some far too yellow. As you can see the Flying Cross pants are more of a "pink" (like the old Officers Pinks) have the pocket flaps and wider belt loops.

https://i.imgur.com/AmEwJKj.jpg

I you don't mind me asking, what was the cost through Galls for the Flying Cross pants?

I you don't mind me asking, what was the cost through Galls for the Flying Cross pants?

They were around $100.

Not cheap, but they look perfect. The correct colour, correct belt loops, correct pocket flaps.

Plus they're extremely comfortable.

I know that much Cosplay isn't comfortable, but it's a thing with me. I'm 61 years old and I appreciate comfort. I only do three Cosplays now and all of them have comfortable shoes, comfortable clothes, and minimal makeup. Actually Hopper is a big leap for me because I have to colour my hair and beard! For my Sean Connery characters it's pretty much me.

This serious formal photo shows the Flying Cross pants very well.

xUDiXYf.jpg

So I tried calling Galls today to order the Flying Cross pants...they basically told me to get lost. They would not sell to me unless I could provide them with the police department I worked for. Wonderful conversation with probably the biggest jerk I've ever spoken to. At this point, I have everything but the pants, but this almost makes me want to call it and sell off everything else. Any ideas on somewhere else to get the pants or how in the world you can get Galls to sell you anything if you aren't an officer?

So I tried calling Galls today to order the Flying Cross pants...they basically told me to get lost. They would not sell to me unless I could provide them with the police department I worked for. Wonderful conversation with probably the biggest jerk I've ever spoken to. At this point, I have everything but the pants, but this almost makes me want to call it and sell off everything else. Any ideas on somewhere else to get the pants or how in the world you can get Galls to sell you anything if you aren't an officer?
Tell them you work for Hawkins PD.

So I tried calling Galls today to order the Flying Cross pants... They would not sell to me unless I could provide them with the police department I worked for.

That is very strange! The woman I talked to was very nice and accommodating. I made it clear that I was not in law enforcement, it was a non-issue.

It did take some time for the two of us to literally get on the same page: while on the phone we both got online and I talked her through navigating the Flying Cross site so that she could see the exact pants I needed. They're sort of buried with a ton of other pants that don't have the back pocket flaps.

Last edited:
That is very strange! The woman I talked to was very nice and accommodating. I made it clear that I was not in law enforcement, it was a non-issue.

It did take some time for the two of us to literally get on the same page: while on the phone we both got online and I talked her through navigating the Flying Cross site so that she could see the exact pants I needed. They're sort of buried with a ton of other pants that don't have the back pocket flaps.

Before I got these pants I was in the process of dying a pair of Dickies to try to get them the right colour. All the Dickies I've seen are a tad too yellow (greenish-yellow compared to the shirt) and I used a combination of a couple different Rit colours to kill those tones and get the pants more pinkish or neutral.

Dickies, with pocket flaps made from the pants bottoms (if you get them long and hem them you'll have enough fabric) will do quite well for the Hopper pants, I would think.

I checked the Dickies at my local store (yes, I could only seem to find them in one place) and the color was way off. I'm with you in that it seems there are multiple colors of Khaki in the Dickies. Perhaps it's where they are made and shipped from? Either way, the Dickies were a bust for me. I did manage to find another online retailer after some serious digging that let me check out online with the Flying Cross pants. Here's to hoping my order processes without any issues. Should that fail, I'm guessing I'll be stuck color matching as best as possible in a department store since the con is coming up in roughly 6 weeks.

Thanks again for all of your help!

I did manage to find another online retailer after some serious digging that let me check out online with the Flying Cross pants.

Good for you! That's awesome.

the con is coming up in roughly 6 weeks.

Phoenix?

2016 was my first year of doing cons & cosplay and of the various cons I did that year (Phoenix, Long Beach Comic Con, Long Beach Comic Expo, Comikaze, Wondercon, San Francisco, Emerald City, LA Anime Expo) Phoenix was my favourite. Yes it was 116 degrees but that didn't bother me a bit. Too bad for me that they moved it to Memorial Day weekend, due to a longstanding commitment every year that weekend.

Thanks again for all of your help!

You've very welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Phoenix?

2016 was my first year of doing cons & cosplay and of the various cons I did that year (Phoenix, Long Beach Comic Con, Long Beach Comic Expo, Comikaze, Wondercon, San Francisco, Emerald City, LA Anime Expo) Phoenix was my favourite. Yes it was 116 degrees but that didn't bother me a bit. Too bad for me that they moved it to Memorial Day weekend, due to a longstanding commitment every year that weekend.

Yep, it's for Phoenix Comic Fest (formerly Phoenix Comicon). We've been going since 2011. Being a native Arizonan, the heat never really bothers me. Although, I did do a Mal Reynolds from Firefly one year and the tall leather boots and suede full length coat just about killed me if I had to step outside of the building.

Something to aid in your searches for the holster, the holster is a Jordan Border Patrol design. Let me stress that its a *design* that many manufacturers from S.D. Myres and Don Hume made. It can also be alternatively called the "Jordan river holster", Bill Jordan holster", or "Border Patrol holster" because that was the common name for those thick leather belts they used. They should all have a pointed leather strap called a 'thumb-snap' that was introduced by John Bianchi in 1958 and adopted by virtually all makers of the Jordan design by the mid 60's. Its noted by the leather at the snap almost immediately narrowing to the point. This strap usually came in two stampings scallops and box (the show is box)

The only significant external difference between the to mass manufactures S.D. Myres and Don Hume is the angle of the basketweave pattern and the depth of the belt fold to the back. They are both stamped on the wearer's side with maker marks, model and other such manufacturing details.

Lastly, there are 7 colors of tan to brown that were made because these were part of a uniform they had to match the required department. So get a list of departments in your area that uniforms use that tone and hit the thrift shops and military surplus shops that sell used you may find a gold mine.

Addendum:
Another term to search for is "rig" or "system" often these are not sold separately as they were purchased as a set.

Also, there were synthetics sold at a time (last 70's to the early 90's) to be more wear resistant or at a lower cost. Check before buying because in the long slow decline of the use of revolvers and big bore pistols to the more moderns auto shooters these companies tried to stay afloat by going as inexpensive as possible.

Man, talk about bad timing for us! Ha ha....dang it! Go figure just when we're all looking, it becomes nigh on impossible.....

In other things, I decided to further my leather working skill set and replicate the holster using the reference pics on the Tex Shoemaker website. That and it was a bit cheaper than buying one for $126.00. Also tried replicating the oil tan color seen in screen grabs. And now I have the pattern and can make more!

View attachment 770115

I’m interested in buying one if you make more! :)

there are 7 colors of tan to brown that were made...

Wow I had no idea there were that many.

Hopper's as we know is ginger or orange-ish golden brown. I wonder what that colour is properly called.

I couldn't find the right holster in the right colour on Ebay, so I got a black one and painted it. Mine looks very close to the screen holster and only cost around $20.​

The new hat got its debut at the Las Vegas Comic Con last Saturday.

I really like it!

aaDK2Se.jpg

Mornings are for Starbucks and Contemplation

qef3SDv.jpg

BTW so strange that the hat looks green in some photos. In person it doesn't. Goes to explain why the hat in the show appears to be so many different colours.

Last edited:
I completely forgot to share some pics of my costume from Phoenix Comic Fest in May. My wife went as punk Eleven with me and everyone seemed to enjoy our cosplays. Special thanks to everyone on this thread and particularly Dr. Jones Sr. for all of your help identifying pieces!

33468435_10156283792353548_9047174121682632704_o.JPG33581689_10156283792888548_4060648474629111808_o.JPG33642769_10156286230993548_1820339626900979712_o.JPG

Wow your costume looks perfect! Well done!

Punk Eleven is awesome!

I notice you guys there are still under the zero tolerance gun policy.

You're welcome about the help! That's the great thing about this thread, so many people contributed so much. Many thanks to everyone on this thread, the people do did so much work identifying the boots, the pen, the shirt, so many things I was clueless about.

Just wanted to add a mention of what happened to me at LA Anime Expo.

(Hopper terrorized by whimsical girlie anime characters)

MkwEBSN.jpg

A guy about my age came up and was very enthusiastic about my cosplay. He asked to take a photo of me like many people did, then he asked if he could take closeup photos of my Hawkins Police Chief badge, my HOPPER nameplate, and my Hawkins Police patch. He was exclaiming stuff like "wow you have the right badge! and the right patch!"

After thanking me for allowing the closeup photos he then asked "is everything real? it looks real. the shirt and the pants look real" and I said yes the shirt and pants are the real thing by Flying Cross.

"I thought so" he said, then whipped out his badge! He's a retired Sheriff. He complemented me on "getting everything right". He would know!

It kinda made my day...

Last edited:
Wow your costume looks perfect! Well done!

Punk Eleven is awesome!

I notice you guys there are still under the zero tolerance gun policy.

You're welcome about the help! That's the great thing about this thread, so many people contributed so much. Many thanks to everyone on this thread, the people do did so much work identifying the boots, the pen, the shirt, so many things I was clueless about.

Thanks! Yeah, Phoenix is still under that policy and I'm guessing will be going forward. On the plus side, the third party event management/security team they hired this year was outstanding and made the security process so much better.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back