Star Trek Discovery Phaser by Anovos

An un-boxing review has been posted...

I am not too impressed with what I see in the video for the $500 price tag.

The magazine doesn't "clip" into the pistol and must be screwed in. The "charge indicator" on the side of the clip does not appear to be made up of individually segmented LED's but appears to be a one or two LED's at the base of the magazine shining up through the charge indicator window in a fashion similar to the power level indicator on the old Playmates "First Contact" boomerang phaser.

In comparing this Phaser to the Wand Company TOS Phaser (at 1/5 the price tag, roughly) I am scratching my head with what I'm seeing.

I am waiting to hear other reviews from these first wave of owners:

https://youtu.be/7RmpXL6xs_k

Thanks for posting this. The clip thing is disappointing, and the lack of integrated electronics is a bummer. Couple that with the price tag, and that's a pass for me...

Sean

I also have this. When I first received it, I noticed a few differences with the one shown at SDCC. The major difference is that on the Anovos phaser, there are power windows on both sides of the handle. On the SDCC phaser, there is no window on the right side (pointing away). I've also confirmed on-screen that there is no power window. I've asked Anovos several times why this is the case & have received no answer. This is a BIG difference in my opinion.

E11.jpg

Here is the response from Anovos. It sounds like they got a pre-production 3D printer file, and created the phasers. At CBS, changes were made after that, and that's why the discrepancies. So I'm making my own accurate post-CBS version.

Our ANOVOS Phaser was created using the original 3D files & assets used in the design and creation of the physical props for production, and provided to us by CBS. However, during the creation of the Show Phaser, the prop department made a change to simplify the manufacture of the physical props for the show.

As originally designed (and as seen on the ANOVOS Phaser) the power status indicator is visible on both the left and right sides of the pistol grip. This meant that the Phaser was “ambidextrous” and it’s power level could be checked from both sides. An addition item worth noting: the side switch on the ANOVOS Phaser (used to switch between “Stun” and “Kill” settings) is functional only from the left side, with the switch on the right being static. Having the switch operate the prop’s settings from either side was something that the original prop department struggled with on the Show Phasers, and having learned from their experience we limited the function of that switch to just the left side.

Yet another reason to buy the toy and modify it ourselves.
Anovos, if you're reading this, shame on you! :thumbsdown You have just confirmed why you don't deserve a penny of my hard earned money!

Here is the response from Anovos. It sounds like they got a pre-production 3D printer file, and created the phasers. At CBS, changes were made after that, and that's why the discrepancies. So I'm making my own accurate post-CBS version.

Our ANOVOS Phaser was created using the original 3D files & assets used in the design and creation of the physical props for production, and provided to us by CBS. However, during the creation of the Show Phaser, the prop department made a change to simplify the manufacture of the physical props for the show.

As originally designed (and as seen on the ANOVOS Phaser) the power status indicator is visible on both the left and right sides of the pistol grip. This meant that the Phaser was “ambidextrous” and it’s power level could be checked from both sides. An addition item worth noting: the side switch on the ANOVOS Phaser (used to switch between “Stun” and “Kill” settings) is functional only from the left side, with the switch on the right being static. Having the switch operate the prop’s settings from either side was something that the original prop department struggled with on the Show Phasers, and having learned from their experience we limited the function of that switch to just the left side.
@RAYGUNMFG Are you able to share if the model you designed had the window on both sides?

This is an interesting development given an Anovos chat agent told me in November that they were specifically not given original files - only an original prop to take reference from.

If that is the case, it is even more confusing why Anovos' prototype had the power window only on one side, and no grub screw on the magazine. That indicates they knew their model was wrong and corrected it for the prototype, but not for the production model. Unless they didn't acquire the files until after the initial product announcement (which is when I talked to the Anovos rep), and then did no corrections.

Last edited by a moderator:
The version I’m making has the power window only on one side and no screws. The Two brass-like buttons on the back are also different and I’ve corrected those. Mine is exactly like those shown on-screen.

The version I’m making has the power window only on one side and no screws. The Two brass-like buttons on the back are also different and I’ve corrected those. Mine is exactly like those shown on-screen.

I skimmed through your twitter and it's looking very nice. Did you take measurements to model and 3d print the master you are working from?

BTW, did you get the information above from an Anovos chat agent/email contact? Or another venue?

I'm using the Anovos phaser as a reference, since in most ways, it appears accurate. My corrections are based on the prop shown at SDCC, and screen captures from the episodes themselves.

The Anovos information is copied & pasted from an email they sent me after inquiring about the differences.

I'm using the Anovos phaser as a reference, since in most ways, it appears accurate. My corrections are based on the prop shown at SDCC, and screen captures from the episodes themselves.

The Anovos information is copied & pasted from an email they sent me after inquiring about the differences.

Thanks for the info on their statement.

Are you saying that you took a mold of the Anovos phaser as your master, or did you 3d model and print or sculpt your own master?

Edit: Spoke too soon -- the image is mirrored. It does seem to have the flatter P1 release of the Anovos, though.

The earlier version of the phaser with a window on the right side of the grip (as on the Anovos prop) is plainly visible in the second episode during the fight on the Klingon ship:

Last edited:
The cat knocked over my Anovos phaser & the back half broke off. So I took the whole thing apart. There is a switch inside for the trigger to activate, but it's not connected to anything. It's like they planned for more, but didn't do it. Also most parts are held together by rubber cement & can be easily pulled apart. And the plastic is brittle. Ok. Enough complaining,

I took the risk and ordered a Discovery phase (wave 2) that was originally to be shipped in February 2018. After many unanswered inquiries I finally am informed that due to the popularity of this piece the size of the runs had been increased and it SHOULD ship sometime in the summer. I get disillusioned and tired of waiting so I ask for a refund. Cue NEW waiting game. Anyone know what on earth will get these folks to 1. communicate and 2. refund customers as promptly as they took the funds in the first place. Has anyone actually received anything from this company other than delays or the runaround?

I took the risk and ordered a Discovery phase (wave 2) that was originally to be shipped in February 2018. After many unanswered inquiries I finally am informed that due to the popularity of this piece the size of the runs had been increased and it SHOULD ship sometime in the summer. I get disillusioned and tired of waiting so I ask for a refund. Cue NEW waiting game. Anyone know what on earth will get these folks to 1. communicate and 2. refund customers as promptly as they took the funds in the first place. Has anyone actually received anything from this company other than delays or the runaround?

I ordered a phaser on a payment plan so I haven't finished that off to ship yet. But I have received all the other in-stock items I've ordered quite fast from Anovos and have been happy with the quality of those items. Seems to be a trend amongst all the niche prop companies out there that delays are part of the experience.

Don't hold your breath. They seem to do great with in stock items but have a BIG problem getting other products out. You end of giving them an interest free loan for a couple of years hoping you might eventually get what you ordered.

I ordered one from wave 5 last December they told me it's on schedule to ship before the Fall period ends on Dec 21st but I'm skeptical because so far they have only shipped the 1st wave and that was in Feb I think. They have a few weeks to get waves 2,3,4,5,6&6.1 out the door before 12/21, it doesn't seem possible. Wave 7 is supposed to ship during the winter period, and I think that's where they stopped making them.

From some of the things I heard at the Fleet Workshop not everyone who ordered in wave 1 had gotten them. This was a couple of months ago so I don't know if that has changed. I know this means I will probably miss some things I may want but I'm never ordering from them again unless it is something in stock or from a reseller that you don't have to pay until it is ready to ship.

They collect payment up front too, a lot can happen in a year, what if they go belly up or something?

After a year I can't do a chargeback and get my $500 back.

At the very least they shouldn't charge your card if the item isn't in stock.

here you go! they collected my $535 over a year ago and they have been holding to the Fall of 2018 shipping schedule for over a year now for wave 2 thru 6.1. They delivered the initial 50 units RIGHT OFF THE BAT, and then they delayed runs 2 thru 6.1, which was another 300 units though fall of 2018, which ended today! last week support was telling me everything was on schedule to ship waves 2 thru 6.1 BEFORE Dec 21. but today they extended that by another 4 months!!! I tried to connect with chat support several times today and they dumped me out of the waiting cue 5 times in a row, thats right they made me wait 20 to 30 mins 5 times then systematically dumped me back to to the beginning of the chat cue. I WILL NEVER GIVE THIS COMPANY ANOTHER DIME OF MY MONEY. DO NOT EVER TRUST ANOVOS WITH YOUR MONEY. holding thousands of dollars of peoples money, THEY ARE MAKING boku INTEREST OFF OF EVERYONE ELSES MOINEY AND ignoring everyone that complains!!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back