Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

If I remember correctly, the ESB novelization and script referred to Han having installed new "lifters" on the Falcon at Echo base. I think that was the term. There was never a reference to new "landing gear" or "struts" or any other such term. There was also no mention of Han modifying the cockpit by making it larger and adding a sliding door. I remember having arguments with friends back in the day who were upset about the Falcon being different from the way it was established in the first movie. Yes, I remember vividly having to defend ESB from other nerds complaining about all it's stupid "flaws." Some thing never change... :lol

I wouldn't call the ESB novel canon. It was released prior to the movie and based on an earlier draft of the script.

If it were canon, then the tauntauns would still be "lizards" and Yoda would still be blue. :)

I wouldn't call the ESB novel canon. It was released prior to the movie and based on an earlier draft of the script.

If it were canon, then the tauntauns would still be "lizards" and Yoda would still be blue. :)

If you see the Falcon with a wonky cockpit wall in ANH it's canon,.....if you see it straightened up in ESB, it's canon,.....if you see the Falcon with 3 landing gears in ANH, it's canon.....if you see her modified with 5 landing gears,.....it's canon

Han & Chewie are making repairs in the film.....it's there to see

The alterations to the cockpit interior is very slight,....most people wouldn't notice the depth difference if they saw screen grabs of the two films,...(apart from the wonky bit)....but you would definitely notice the additional gear,...so having the guys working on the Falcon at the beginning of the film joins the dots

J

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts (la..la..la)
Just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax.

If it's in any of the movies, no matter how big or small, like the gears or cockpits...they are all canon...thats the definition of canon!.
I can't believe the banter here sometimes on the most trivial of things to banter on about!.
The Bandai kit is incredible, I thought I would never see such an effort to get it right from a kit manufacturer, but here it is!. And in ANH configuration.
I don't see myself getting the kit, some know here of my 5 footer on the go, so no need for it really.
Hmmmm, time to update my thread maybe...

Stu

It is amazing the complaining over a 1 inch cockpit and how it's so not the right one on this otherwise perfect amazing kit. I can afford it and want to get it but I'm not sure. I have the FM kit in the closet 10% done so would I ever get to this new one? The thought of no glue is super attractive but could I ever get the paint job right? Not sure what ill do.

Hey dudes, before more people get too indignant about people "complaining," NO ONE IS COMPLAINING. Seems like a pretty civil discussion. mainly because the kit isn't out yet and we have a couple months to speculate and chew the fat. Yeah, sometimes (far too often) Star Wars conversations get unnecessarily heated, but that's often because sometimes people are inarticulate (guilty!) and sometimes people misinterpret things. Cockpit talk is just cockpit talk. The fact that the ANH Perfect Grade kit has an ESB cockpit and a TFA engine grill is worth a little discussion. I don't think anyone has called for petitions or angry phone calls to Bandai. We usually save that stuff for Revell. :devil

Anyway, nkg, I know the ESB novel isn't canon. I was just pointing out that it mentioned Han's modifications and they used the term "lifters." But Jaitea is certainly correct that the scenes of Han and Chewie working on the ship were meant to help justify differences between movies while at the same time setting up the plot device of the Falcon being unable to jump to lightspeed. A win-win.

I don't think anybody's complaining per se. The only actual complaint I've heard about the upcoming 1:72 is that it's pretty expensive. Other than that it's just a lot of pondering why certain marketing and product development choices were made.

I don't think anyone has called for petitions or angry phone calls to Bandai. We usually save that stuff for Revell. :devil

God i hate Revell with a passion.They are lazy,univentive and fail to see why they cant compete with other manufacturers for brand loyalty. There Finemolds falcon is an insult and they dont deserve the starwars license they have. GRRRRRRRGGHHHH i hate them.

I have built a handfull of revell kits and everyone of them had fitment problems,excessive sprue flash and dog turd level detail. If they put in there own R&D and got some decent molds made i wouldnt be in a position to moan but thats not going to happen.

In regards to the discussion of petty grumbles over minor details,I actually like it when people disagree about somehing they are both passionate about,It makes more things possible and gives more directions you can take a model build into,its one of the reasons i like the RPF :)

I've said it before, I'll give props to Revell for their Kylo Ren shuttle kit. Great detail, accurately proportioned, only a few minor incorrect bits. Had they included the option to display the wings in flight mode it would've been a solid home run.

In regards to the discussion of petty grumbles over minor details,I actually like it when people disagree about somehing they are both passionate about,It makes more things possible and gives more directions you can take a model build into,its one of the reasons i like the RPF :)

Agreed. As a matter fact, as someone who isn't anywhere near as familiar with the intricate details of the Falcon as others, I appreciate the discussions of the minutia as I get to learn about them, better understand the subject matter, and can address the details when working on the kit. Hell, I had no idea how off my FM Falcon was until comparisons started appearing when the Bandai Falcon came on the scene.

not-listening-otter-meme.jpg

Please don't ruin it before I even have it in hand :lol

I can never look at my Fine Molds falcon without thinking of it being too flat and having parallel mandibles:lol:facepalm:cry

Ignorance was bliss

In all seriousness, I am glad they did not go for the studio model cockpit

Some compromises between filming miniature vs real set don't bother me

Also, I might be in the minority, but I like the engine grill.

It is much more interesting than a white band when you don't have the lights on

And for those that don't like it, hopefully it will be easy enough to modify. I am sure we will start seeing some shapeways stuff to accurize the "perfect" falcon to be more like hte studio model

@blakeh1, exactly the same thoughts,....& if your Bandai Falcon turns out painted as well as your FM one I'd be more than happy

J

I've said it before, I'll give props to Revell for their Kylo Ren shuttle kit. Great detail, accurately proportioned, only a few minor incorrect bits. Had they included the option to display the wings in flight mode it would've been a solid home run.

Omg the wings dont even move? Interesting about the quality, i need a 1/48 Kylo TIE for a project im working on, Revell do 1/50 T-70 X wings, so i might just get a 1/50 Revell Kylo TIE to chop up if they make one. Id wait for a Big 1/48 Bandai one but will that ever happen?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back