44" Eagle 5

You'll only need that if you're making a replica of some of the season 2 Space:1999 scripts... :lol

No worries, this IS a discusion forum after all.
My take is that for the most part once it's painted what under isn't the most important, so long as it's strong enough. The thing is the engines aren't painted and thus the aluminium is very much part of the final look. Yes they were expensive, but DAMN! THEY LOOK GOOD in person. I've yet to find a paint that truly matches the look.

Now back to 3D printing, the nose and leg pods on mine are resin casts from 3D printed files. Are they better than the originals, so far no, because they have all deformed in the heat while in storage. So they are going to take a bunch of work to fix. But once painted, decaled and weathered, no one will know. In a similarly modern vain, my pod is from acrylic that was laser cut. So it's very much a mixed media model.

I am making my spine and cage from soldered brass. That could have been made from carbon rods or resin casts, but to me it's one of the challenges of making this particular replica.

L

Sounds as if you are definitely going into this with you eyes open, and I think this is going to be a beautiful creation! Looking forward to an update! :)

I will as soon as there's something new :) Right now I'm cutting and sanding brass. My dining table is covered in brass and blueprints. Hopefully I'll be soldering some together soon. Without a 'workshop' it's slow going.

Finally starting on the brass, kinda weird to get the first piece done! But suddenly things start to move forward.
9566996365_34bc115cf0_z.jpg

Keep at it Lee! Looking great so far. Your gonna want to hold it in your lap if you return to the US mainland though. I wouldn't trust any baggage handlers!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back