New alternative for Solo Blaster

I just received mine in the mail today, very impressed.

I must be an idiot though because I have fully read through this thread, and the manual for disassembly instructions and I just CANNOT get the gun apart. Pressing up on the "take down latch" while pushing down the hammer does absolutely nothing to release any part of the gun from its surroundings.

What am I doing wrong? Mag is out, and safety is in the down position.

I just received mine in the mail today, very impressed.

I must be an idiot though because I have fully read through this thread, and the manual for disassembly instructions and I just CANNOT get the gun apart. Pressing up on the "take down latch" while pushing down the hammer does absolutely nothing to release any part of the gun from its surroundings.

What am I doing wrong? Mag is out, and safety is in the down position.
I made a video showing how to take it apart.

https://youtu.be/2hCs6sjnM4w

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you! Mine was just super stiff/stuck. Got it apart now! Very excited to begin working on this, but I must say I'm not so excited for sanding this whole thing down to metal.

Thank you! Mine was just super stiff/stuck. Got it apart now! Very excited to begin working on this, but I must say I'm not so excited for sanding this whole thing down to metal.
You're welcome. I've weathered mine, but I'm not totally happy with it. I've ordered some aluminum black and I think I'll try regular paint stripper.
7f9a6b12a0e2473fe60706a9cb4dec73.jpg

I'm sorry for asking this, but I really don't want to sift through 18 pages - what's the consensus on this thing? In need of some modifications, but still worth the $220?

I'm sorry for asking this, but I really don't want to sift through 18 pages - what's the consensus on this thing? In need of some modifications, but still worth the $220?
I would say so. I don't think you can get better anywhere close to that price.

I'm not happy with the colour. They look nice, but not right. I'll see if I can get better coverage.

Nice work but why such pretty grips for a weathered blaster? I'd steel wool and wet sand the shine off them, then rub in some black acrylic paint to darken/age them up a bit.

Nice work but why such pretty grips for a weathered blaster? I'd steel wool and wet sand the shine off them, then rub in some black acrylic paint to darken/age them up a bit.
I put on another coat to even out the colour and darken them a bit. The finish makes them shiny. There's not much I can do about that until they've cured for a couple of days.
6a5605b4b4dc0b638c16ce17cb50f897.jpg

Last edited:
I've got consistent coverage now, but it may be a little dark and you can't really see the wood grain. Still, they're better than the plastic ones it came with. I'll have to wait until the finish is good and hard before I can do any weathering.
9e23f899985bd62600144870197ea764.jpg

That looks great BipeFlyer! Really well made grips! you've got some talent. I'm trying to decide what to do with the grips as well. The original plastic ones don't look that bad in my opinion, but they definitely don't feel good. Squeaky and they move around.

I don't think your grips are tooooo dark, but maybe just a smidge.

My aluminum black came in, and my Todd's greeblie kit arrived, but I am still waiting on my shapeways grill to arrive. I'd like to have a mystery disk, but might just settle for the original greeblie they provided but knocked down to a circular brushed finish.

Has anyone tried acetone to attack the powder coat?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back