A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

With respect to your opinion, I don't see what him having a new film opening now or replacing Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer (no, I didn't have to Google that) has anything to do with how long he can keep making films? He is currently 80 years old. At some point within the next few years, he will be too old to make films because either his mind or his body will go- that's nature and has nothing to do with ageism. You also didn't seem to have noticed that I stated Sigourney Weaver, at 68, could still make action movies. Ageism would be saying that someone still vital and sharp-minded shouldn't make films only because of their age, which I didn't do.

If you want to talk about being respectful- listen to the commentary on, for example, Prometheus (or several interviews with SRS) and it's pretty clear that he himself is rather disrespectful, even disdainful, of his audience. As a comparison, listen to the commentary that his late brother Tony Scott did for True Romance. Not to mention that the plug was conveniently pulled on Alien 5 just as people were hyping it a lot more than SRS's (then) upcoming Alien movie, which did more harm than good to his legacy. I'm just glad that he didn't direct BR2049 or it would have been a train wreck. I actually do respect him for only acting as producer on that one.

NB is making short films putting them on places like Youtube, Steam and so on, certainly. He's experimenting and trying new venues, because the media landscape has been changing rapidly and drastically. SRS was 40+ when he made Alien and had until then limited success in films (he was a commercial director), even with The Duelists. NB is now 38, and has helmed three major films (of admittedly varying quality) but is still younger than SRS was when he became successful. Maybe NB will not amount to more, or maybe he will evolve into one of the greats.

James Cameron is wiping the slate clean and ignoring all Terminator films after T2. The Alien series deserves the same treatment.

I wasnt really looking for any validation of my comments but hey, your assistance is appreciated anyway.

Both Ridley Scott and James Cameron had the best of Aliens...

Not to mention Gladiator, Black Hawk Dawn.. Robin Hood... ect..

Avator...Terminator..Titanic...The Abyss .. ect

They should have done the new Star Wars.. IMO

Where is Gene Roddenberry when you nee him;)

I suspect Blompkamp is in 'director jail' after the failure of Elysium and Chappie. I think he keeps rolling out these designs to try and snag some sort of interest from the studio system by playing the evergreen nostalgia card. It seems terribly coincidental that this new art has appeared following the rumors that Fox/Disney are dropping plans for a follow up to Covenant. Wanna bet he'll be more than happy to go the AVP PG-13 route...

Trouble with NB is that his movies have a certain "look"...now, it's nice and dandy to be recognized instantly for that "look", but it's also a curse. Take any scenes of any movies NB made (even his shorts on YouTube) and you know it's from him! Many details here to discuss, but you know what I mean...The message also has become, somewhat, old and tired.
He has to get away from the social/poor/uneducated/used/slave/invaded/vying for a better existence philosophy:rolleyes. We got it, now let's spend some time exploring other concepts that could make NB's Alien more palatable for SRS (he could produce and not direct if the story is the bomb). A 180 is needed here!

I have many thoughts, here... I respect the younger Ridley Scott, even if I disagreed with some of his premises (Deckard is a replicant, because he caught Harrison's eyeshine in one shot... the Alien warrior is able to create new eggs by cocooning victims, no queen required...). The last film of his where I respected (most of) his creative choices was his cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Adore that movie so much. But that was twelve years ago. His assertions and choices and opinions since have been... *sigh* A few posts up someone said "where's Gene Roddenberry", and I kinda twitched at that. He's another poster child, along with SRS and George Lucas, for creators whose creations outgrew them, and whose rigid opinions about said creations were at odds with how those creations had evolved organically over time. All three (SRS, Gene, and George) shared the same obliviousness to how they themselves had changed over time.

I would have liked and respected Prometheus and Covenant more if he had been creating a new setting and storyline -- maybe even involving Wayland and his androids. It would be a recurring theme of his sci-fi works. Androids in Alien, androids in Blade Runner, androids in Prometheus. A nice, taut trilogy about a synthetic son Wayland created experiencing the imperfections of humanity and deciding we need to be wiped out. Leave the aliens out, leave the Engineers out, etc. Hell, it would work better if this ends up being a sidelong reference to W-Y's "bioweapons division" Burke mentioned in Cameron's take on SRS's alien-verse.

Meanwhile, I can see NB stumping for his pet project now that Disney, and not Fox, have final say over what gets made. I say let SRS finish out his trilogy, then consign it to the same "what-if" corner as Alien3 and Resurrection. Interesting story, but too many things don't fit with Alien (not even touching on the later films), and too many things are just bad storytelling. I also wouldn't mind seeing NB start a Halo movie universe. Longform. No compression of the story. Start with the titular space donut showing up, and all the initial activity that leads up to starting the Spartan program. Don't even throw Master Chief in until he has some context. I think he'd be good at it, with someone riding herd on story, and he'd be able to channel the energies he wanted to put into Alien5 into a different war-torn sci-fi universe.

--Jonah

I respectfully took the time to clarify my views since you seemed to take personal offense; it's a shame you chose to reply with a sarcastic, nonsensical remark instead of engaging in civil conversation.

Nearly every post of yours concerning Ridley Scott has a reference to him dying or "keeling over". They are here for anyone who could be bothered to take the time to see either in this thread or the Covenant thread. That was the basis for my initial comments and I left it open but you failed to even address that in your response.

It is disgraceful and that`s the bottom line here. Dont preach to me about civil conversation.

Nearly every post of yours concerning Ridley Scott has a reference to him dying or "keeling over". They are here for anyone who could be bothered to take the time to see either in this thread or the Covenant thread. That was the basis for my initial comments and I left it open but you failed to even address that in your response.

It is disgraceful and that`s the bottom line here. Dont preach to me about civil conversation.

I'm sorry, but that is a dishonest claim. As far as I can recall, in the fair number of postings I have written on this topic, only twice before this recent post having mentioned something having to do with him being alive: once where I wrote that it seemed like he was trying to reclaim his old movies before he died and another where I speculated that he would control the franchise as long as he lived. (There could be another mention somewhere, I'm not certain after months of discussion, but nothing approaching "nearly every post" as you claim.) What else would you have me address? The "keel over" comment was obviously written as a partial jest, though perhaps not a kind one.

If you have suffered a recent personal loss or something and your reaction to my life/death reference is because of that, I would offer a sincere apology. But otherwise it just seems as though you cannot accept when someone has a strong and differing opinion that you do. Your postings in other threads sometimes appear to approach personal attacks or insults on other RPF members when you don't agree with them.

I'm sorry, but that is a dishonest claim. As far as I can recall, in the fair number of postings I have written on this topic, only twice before this recent post having mentioned something having to do with him being alive: once where I wrote that it seemed like he was trying to reclaim his old movies before he died and another where I speculated that he would control the franchise as long as he lived. (There could be another mention somewhere, I'm not certain after months of discussion, but nothing approaching "nearly every post" as you claim.) What else would you have me address? The "keel over" comment was obviously written as a partial jest, though perhaps not a kind one.

If you have suffered a recent personal loss or something and your reaction to my life/death reference is because of that, I would offer a sincere apology. But otherwise it just seems as though you cannot accept when someone has a strong and differing opinion that you do. Your postings in other threads sometimes appear to approach personal attacks or insults on other RPF members when you don't agree with them.

Just wow is all I got for that.

Just wow is all I got for that.
Yes, quite. I also recall you writing something about "Walt Disney's head spinning in it's tank" or some such. Well, now. Joking about the already deceased, then attacking my comments? Throw those bricks carefully, fellow RPF member.

And heres me thinking NB is a master manipulator.....he aint got nothin on you.
I could take that as a compliment considering my line of work, even though it was not offered as such.

Look, if you had courteously told me you took offense at the comment and asked me to refrain from doing so in the future, I might have done so out of respect for a fellow RPF member, but you went straight into attack-mode.

I could take that as a compliment considering my line of work, even though it was not offered as such.

Look, if you had courteously told me you took offense at the comment and asked me to refrain from doing so in the future, I might have done so out of respect for a fellow RPF member, but you went straight into attack-mode.

And you went straight into deflection mode. And you talk about respect, again, wow.

And you went straight into deflection mode. And you talk about respect, again, wow.
No, I went into clarification mode.

I have been more respectful in my comments towards you, than vice versa. But I certainly don't respect what SRS has done to the Alien franchise, nor will I pretend to.

No, I went into clarification mode.

I have been more respectful in my comments towards you, than vice versa. But I certainly don't respect what SRS has done to the Alien franchise, nor will I pretend to.

Would that be because his Alien films have produced nothing that you can in turn replicate and then sell?

I'm glad I'm not Ridley Scott, I would have keeled over reading this back and forth.

:lol

NB had some cool concepts. ADI sculpted a lot of Maquettes for NB that will likely never see the light of day, some of which were "cool," but it didn't seem at all like there was a story to be told. Honestly I hope this film never sees the light of day either. The Alien franchise isn't Ridley's anymore, nor should it be. That doesn't mean for a second I trust NB to do any better. Younger (oh no, ageism!) more talented directors can surely come in and breath fresh life into the franchise. Hopefully Disney will see that and take a loooooong break to get a good script made.

After The Predator bombs I expect we won't hear about either franchise for a while.

Would that be because his Alien films have produced nothing that you can in turn replicate and then sell?
No, it would be because he has, among other things, completely ruined the mystery of the series. As others have pointed out, there is very little that is "alien" in the Alien franchise any longer because of his recent actions.

And unless you have never partaken in a run of or bought anything from a member on the RPF, that unimaginative (and frankly embarrassing) attempt at an insult was rather hypocritical, and quite silly considering the number of things I have ever offered here (well-received though they have been) is minuscule compared to others. You also just clearly proved my point about going for personal insults. (Note how my comment attacks your message and not you personally.) But I suspect you are just trying to goad me into something.

I'm glad I'm not Ridley Scott, I would have keeled over reading this back and forth.

...After The Predator bombs I expect we won't hear about either franchise for a while.
Nah, he's probably too busy explaining to studio execs why he couldn't make them a bundle of money with installments in either of the two series that made him famous, even though one of them has been hailed by most critics as a masterpiece! (Though I suspect at least one RPFer out there has already taken out the popcorn, haha...)

Not to derail, but It's been rather quiet on the Predator front. I got to see the original again in the theater a couple weeks ago. Aside from the horrible grain-removal in the picture making all those rough men look like they were in an Avon commercial, it still held up pretty well. (But boy did they like to stand still while emptying magazine after magazine in those rifles!) Shane Black usually writes fantastic scripts... it'd be interesting to see what he could do with Alien.

Trouble with NB is that his movies have a certain "look"...now, it's nice and dandy to be recognized instantly for that "look", but it's also a curse. Take any scenes of any movies NB made (even his shorts on YouTube) and you know it's from him! Many details here to discuss, but you know what I mean...The message also has become, somewhat, old and tired.
He has to get away from the social/poor/uneducated/used/slave/invaded/vying for a better existence philosophy:rolleyes. We got it, now let's spend some time exploring other concepts that could make NB's Alien more palatable for SRS (he could produce and not direct if the story is the bomb). A 180 is needed here!

I feel like this is easily forgotten when a franchise is so dear to people and they're pretty much desperate for it to be rescued. If you could drag Blomkamp away from Denel weapons and get him to grasp there are other looks than turn of the millenium South African paramilitary tactical ****, he could fit in pretty nicely with the kinda post-nam sci-fi look that made Aliens so distinctive (that being what seems to be the itch most are still trying to scratch). I just get the idea that like so many, for him to shine there has to be someone there to firmly tell him "no". I'd also definitely not be pinning all my hopes on the guy before he's made a second good movie.

A lot of people are somewhat justifiedly calling out Scott for recently struggling outside of the realm of technical visuals, at which he will always be one of the best. It does seem to be slipping past though that this is also Blomkamp's exact problem too. Greenlighting fewer scripts that are driven by the good old Idiot Plot would help too, but that isn't really on either director being discussed.

Not the face please!

I unequivocally stand by all my comments in regards to your comments.

And I, in turn, unequivocally stand by all my comments in regards to your comments about my comments!

(If anyone got dizzy reading that, I apologize.)

I just get the idea that like so many, for him to shine there has to be someone there to firmly tell him "no".

It seems like most, if not all, of our beloved directors did better work when they were under pressure and could not get everything they wanted. Look at all the early works of Lucas, Scott, Cameron, Spielberg and the immense problems they faced doing their first movies. It forced them into a do-or-die mentality and to think in truly creative ways. Even someone like Michael Bay did his best work when Bruckheimer was reigning him in.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back