Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

True, but it's the closest that ruddy thing gets. :)

At least the shape is symmetrical XD

OH! And I finally got the pattern for the lining figured out. And the lining itself: I bought red and white checked stuff off amazon. I wasn't into the idea of paying 30+ a yard for the custom printed stuff, so I dyed it with taupe dye. It came out lighter than I expected, so I took some Design Master sprays I had in red and maroon and just sprayed the whole piece. Those sprays, since they're made for silk flowers, came out perfect on the fabric, no crunchiness at all. Now, when I go to cut the fabric and sew it on to the red cape, it won't be such a glaring difference. I am tempted to go in and hand stamp the design into the lining, but I'm not sure if my commitment to cheap accuracy is that great XD

Last edited:
At least the shape is symmetrical XD

OH! And I finally got the pattern for the lining figured out. And the lining itself: I bought red and white checked stuff off amazon. I wasn't into the idea of paying 30+ a yard for the custom printed stuff, so I dyed it with taupe dye. It came out lighter than I expected, so I took some Design Master sprays I had in red and maroon and just sprayed the whole piece. Those sprays, since they're made for silk flowers, came out perfect on the fabric, no crunchiness at all. Now, when I go to cut the fabric and sew it on to the red cape, it won't be such a glaring difference. I am tempted to go in and hand stamp the design into the lining, but I'm not sure if my commitment to cheap accuracy is that great XD

I wound up 3D printing a pair of stamps and we spent quite a while on it:

Stencil a square (roughly a foot each side).
While it's drying, stamp the square we did the last time.
Lather, rinse, repeat! :)

I wound up 3D printing a pair of stamps and we spent quite a while on it:

Stencil a square (roughly a foot each side).
While it's drying, stamp the square we did the last time.
Lather, rinse, repeat! :)

Agh that's so smart. I don't have a printer myself, so I can't 3D print em. I really wish I had a way to print that large of a section. I think I'd have to stamp one by one

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Your Eye looks awesome! Metal too!? Did you forge the shape or cast it?

Metal? Nope. 3d printed in pla plastic, and painted. 13523821_10153730773463581_1869641065_o.jpg

These are all the props from the movie I've done so far.. there are several different versions of the center green eye.

13217430_1164084433611389_1793004817776689668_o.jpg

This one was finished by a friend.
13988141_10153865357738581_1696130221798342824_o.jpg

This is my wip of the brooches

14053733_10153865357408581_6030862811151305596_o.jpg
And this shows my finished sash buckle.

Well, we're getting very close to the wire!

Here's some test shots of the Cloak - note that this is not a full costume test, for example I'm not wearing the Eye or vambraces. Basically it's a test as to how well the magnets hold it in place and how it looks.

The magnets work great, btw - while I can't quite do the maneuver where he throws the cloak into the air and it attaches it's pretty close, and I can run, jump and twirl without losing the cloak at all!

SItting slightly offset as I was mid-turn. The collar needs a little more arc to it as well, but that's minor.
Cloak test small.jpg

Ahh, such a pain to get it right, especially the brain material. We worked out that it's taken over 100m of red hemp cord!
Cloak rear view small.jpg

Edit: For those curious about the magnets, I used the ones in the following link: One glued onto the back of each broach and one sewn into a pocket on the inside of the shirt. The layers of cloth didn't seem to make much difference to the strength!

http://aussiemagnets.com.au/product/-25-x--25-x---5mm-Block-(Rare-Earth).html

Last edited:
Yeah, we had some issues in how it attaches to the rest of the cape. It'll be lower before the con! :)

If you have the collar attachment figured out, would you mind letting the rest of us know? I've finally got the chance to start sewing my cloak, so that'll be important before too long!

Also, if anyone else was wondering, I've found a simple (if not terribly accurate) solution to my tunic issue - I found two hoodies at the local Walmart that were almost the exact color I needed. I cut the hood off one and removed the elastic waistband from both, and will cut the other just beneath the armpits parallel to the waist line. I'm also removing the zipper from the one cut below the armpits. I'm then going to sew the top of the second one where the waist band of the relatively intact one was, bringing the length down to about the correct place, and then I'll just conceal the join beneath the belt.

On that note, how is everyone approaching the belt? At risk of losing accuracy I'm thinking of just stapling a brown corduroy fabric I had to hand onto a cardboard ring that is about six inches wide and almost reaches all the way around my midsection, then tying another sash of the same fabric around that through the belt-buckle-ring-thing (which I will have to eventually 3D print, thank you very much for the file The Prop Lord ), and then just layer a couple regular brown belts over that. I realize it isn't perfect, but it should at least keep my mom from tearing her hair out by keeping the entire prop both within my budget and my own skill level, and shouldn't look too bad.

With a little luck I'll have pictures for you guys in the next day or so of both the WIP cloak and tunic

Again, massive thanks to everyone who's been helping me!

Last edited by a moderator:
It "could" be woven. But I am 100% sure it's a screen print. Why? They did that to trick us. The past week I have come to trust nothing fabric related on screen. Captain America's costumes look like Cordura, but they are actually screen printed spandex, so it looks like Cordura. I made an Avengers 2 Cap suit for my dad. The colors are wrong but it is super accurate. He can hardly move, but Chris Evans can. Here's an awesome thread that blew me away. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259103

I turned that HD of the Eye pic into a super sized PNG so you can see more detail. The Xs are slightly thicker than thread. It also looks a tad too shimmery for thread.

Why are some spots missing? I'm sure the print job was set up that way. Much like the Dawn of Justice Batman costume, to age/weather it. OR, they manually removed sections after it was printed.

View attachment 655377

Those are done in skintight suits
While yes, it might be screen printed, on a suit like this, they really can do whatever they want
It's loose fitting and supposed to look like it's from an old age, unlike the cap suit, or bats suit, or any other superhero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are done in skintight suits
While yes, it might be screen printed, on a suit like this, they really can do whatever they want
It's loose fitting and supposed to look like it's from an old age, unlike the cap suit, or bats suit, or any other superhero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. I'm working on an Embroidery file since it appears to be threading and not a print. I share it with everyone asap.

If I have the funds, I plan on either printing the belt (mold then cast out of rubber), or making it out of EVA foam, make a mold, cast it out of urethane rubber (VtyaFlex 30)

If I model the belt, I'll let you guys know :D

For the belt, we went with a wide vinyl strap. Painted to match pictures. Added velcro at the back. Got lots of leather, dyed & wove it to match pics. Leather cement to hold it all in place, with enough slack so that they 'hang' just enough to look like they're separate and not glued in place. 3D printed the rings & central loop. Woven yak hair for the front bit. Lotsa work, looks great if I say so myself. :)

I just got the belt pieces in from Shapeways from PropLord's models...turned out really nice. I wear a size 9.5 rings so they barely go over the knuckle...not going to do that often though. :)14053994_10207208530994748_3013139511277807131_n.jpg

I just got the belt pieces in from Shapeways from PropLord's models...turned out really nice. I wear a size 9.5 rings so they barely go over the knuckle...not going to do that often though. :)View attachment 657400

They came out great! You might be able to use a heat gun and warp the material. I haven't tried it with their plastic so, be careful.

I know I can do it to PLA, but that's just the nature of the material. They use some sort of nylon powder.

So I finally have some pictures!

None of my stuff is quite as awesome as Bardon 's, but I've designed every template and pattern used in this stuff, so I'm proud enough of the results to share.

The tunic/belt is almost done, pending only sashes.

Pic-08232016-007.jpg
Pic-08232016-006.jpg

I hope to get better pictures when my mother is willing to photograph for me so I don't have to use a mirror.

The Cloak is still heavily WIP, with further progress stalled due to sewing machine troubles and a busy family schedule. I hope to get the lining and the exterior sewn together tomorrow morning, and then I'll be able to do the panel detailing (instead of actually quilting all the weird shapes, I decided to just glue trim on to outline them) and actually create a neckline and secure the Cloak to the tunic using magnets. Then it's on to the collar (which I am totally scared to even try, at the moment)!

Pic-08232016-005.jpg
Pic-08232016-004.jpg
Pic-08232016-003.jpg
Pic-08232016-002.jpg
Pic-08232016-001.jpg

Again, this is my first sewing project, so I'm immensely pleased that everything is coming together as nicely as it is. Yesterday morning was the first time I ever even laid hands on a sewing machine, so the fact that almost every seam you see was my doing is amazing to me.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Note: I am aware that the belt ring I have is weird - that's because the final version is probably going to use The Prop Lord 's 3D file, so I improvised for purposes of pictures and used the lid of an old gum container. xD

So I finally have some pictures!

None of my stuff is quite as awesome as Bardon 's, but I've designed every template and pattern used in this stuff, so I'm proud enough of the results to share.

The tunic/belt is almost done, pending only sashes.

View attachment 657450
View attachment 657451

I hope to get better pictures when my mother is willing to photograph for me so I don't have to use a mirror.

The Cloak is still heavily WIP, with further progress stalled due to sewing machine troubles and a busy family schedule. I hope to get the lining and the exterior sewn together tomorrow morning, and then I'll be able to do the panel detailing (instead of actually quilting all the weird shapes, I decided to just glue trim on to outline them) and actually create a neckline and secure the Cloak to the tunic using magnets. Then it's on to the collar (which I am totally scared to even try, at the moment)!

View attachment 657452
View attachment 657453
View attachment 657454
View attachment 657455
View attachment 657456

Again, this is my first sewing project, so I'm immensely pleased that everything is coming together as nicely as it is. Yesterday morning was the first time I ever even laid hands on a sewing machine, so the fact that almost every seam you see was my doing is amazing to me.

Comments and criticism welcome!

Note: I am aware that the belt ring I have is weird - that's because the final version is probably going to use The Prop Lord 's 3D file, so I improvised for purposes of pictures and used the lid of an old gum container. xD

Here are a couple of shots that I got at the con.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to finish everything before I got there, so no arm wraps and jeans for pants which work ok.
The boots that I used were a pair of very bright bronze knee highs which I polished and stained to darken which looked good in the end.
Also need to embroider the cloak edge because the embossing didn't show up as clearly as I would have liked.

After half a day of ComicCon my costume was not as perfectly aligned as when I put it on; Note for future is pin the base robe closed because the cloak which was magnet held to the robe, pulls it back and open.
I'll probably re-enforce the collar and pull it in tighter to sit closer to my neck.

Post criticism please cause I still need to work on this before the premier in November.

Attachments

• 13633473_1131888300190695_1460055598_o(1).jpg
    13633473_1131888300190695_1460055598_o(1).jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 521
  • 13663485_1131888293524029_1044935672_o.jpg
    13663485_1131888293524029_1044935672_o.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 504
Here are a couple of shots that I got at the con.
Unfortunately I didn't manage to finish everything before I got there, so no arm wraps and jeans for pants which work ok.
The boots that I used were a pair of very bright bronze knee highs which I polished and stained to darken which looked good in the end.
Also need to embroider the cloak edge because the embossing didn't show up as clearly as I would have liked.

After half a day of ComicCon my costume was not as perfectly aligned as when I put it on; Note for future is pin the base robe closed because the cloak which was magnet held to the robe, pulls it back and open.
I'll probably re-enforce the collar and pull it in tighter to sit closer to my neck.

Post criticism please cause I still need to work on this before the premier in November.

Wow! The cape print came out awesome! Did you use the file straight up, or did you alter it any?

Hey all! Haven't been costuming much lately but I finally decided on a new costume to make, and Doctor Strange it is! Fem version, of course, but it's basically going to be the same design soooo... that's a thing, right? ;)

Anyway, a huge BRAVO to everyone working on your awesome costumes!! Lookin' great.

Now, I'm definitely on a budget here, but trying to do the best I can under something like 50 or 60 bucks. We'll see how that goes. So far, I've refashioned a pencil skirt and jacket set that my grandmother gave me into the main tunic (the fabric and style is kind of perfect, so I'm pretty psyched about that).

DSCN3348.JPG

That was when the "skirt" was just pinned, but it's finished now. Just have to hem the armholes and that'll be done.

My grandmother also donated some dark navy pencil skirts that I'm planning to refashion into the base tunic (with the sleeves, etc). Yes, my grandmother owns way too many clothes but it works out great for me as a budget cosplayer. :D

For the cape, I know for a fact I'm going to have to go with a much simplified version... I bought some pretty suiting fabric from Joann on a whim a week ago, but I just keep staring at it and I think I've come to the conclusion it's too thin. It's the perfect color, nice weave, a little stretch... but it's kinda lightweight.

So, on that note, The Prop Lord, I might have missed your comments on the cape fabric you purchased on etsy, but, what did you think of it? I'm considering following your lead... hahah.

And then all that's left to worry about are the accessories -- I'm planning to purchase this Eye of Agamotto -- I think it's smaller than the movie prop, but, as I'm much smaller than 6-foot Benedict, I'm hoping it'll still look convincing. Still on the search for a pair of inexpensive boots (I want to do combat style heels), and also keeping an eye out for belts. Oh, and I bought a gold cape clasp from Joann (also kind of on a whim), which I just dunno about... they could work, but totally not screen accurate. We'll see. Budget, remember? ;)

Hm, I think that's it. Definitely looking for any recommendations for cloak fabric (lining or main) from you guys. Again, great job, y'all! All your costumes are looking fabulous!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back