Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

I was just looking at the way the open eye looks on the Hot Toys version, and PropLord...your eye will only need a new Vishanti cross change to make that look nice. I really hope you will plan on doing that also.
Open Eye.jpg

It "could" be woven. But I am 100% sure it's a screen print. Why? They did that to trick us. The past week I have come to trust nothing fabric related on screen. Captain America's costumes look like Cordura, but they are actually screen printed spandex, so it looks like Cordura. I made an Avengers 2 Cap suit for my dad. The colors are wrong but it is super accurate. He can hardly move, but Chris Evans can. Here's an awesome thread that blew me away. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259103

I turned that HD of the Eye pic into a super sized PNG so you can see more detail. The Xs are slightly thicker than thread. It also looks a tad too shimmery for thread.

Why are some spots missing? I'm sure the print job was set up that way. Much like the Dawn of Justice Batman costume, to age/weather it. OR, they manually removed sections after it was printed.

SUPER-Close-up-of-Eye.jpg

When hand embroidering, it is done with more than one thread and embroidery thread has a sheen to it just like this. I am using 4 different colors of embroidery to achieve this look.

Maybe this image helps a bit to see/feel the texture of it a bit better...you can even see a thread that has popped loose on his right chest.
GettyImages-518965400_master_src (3).jpg

Geez, don't check up on a thread for a couple days and BAM...

Good work, everybody!

I have yet to find an alternative or base piece for the tunic that I like, so I was wondering if anybody has a pattern for it?

I am using fabric paint marker to achieve the effect. using two shades of blue, slightly lighter than the base material and a pearlescent blue to make it pop. One thing to notice is that the fabric where the design is located is noticeably different than the base tunic making it look like embroidery. I am using cotton webbing to achieve the effect.

http://i.imgur.com/GAlTVht.jpg

The more I look at the costume, the more details I need to simplify or even cut out entirely to be able to even think about attempting it... Yeesh...

I'll check with m'darling when she gets home whether she used a pattern for the shirt or just winged it - the odds are about 50:50. I *can* tell you that we've done the shirt as one piece, the pleating as a separate piece rather like a priest's cassock (I think that's the name?) and for ease of dressing added the one assymetrical pleating bit on the left side directly to the belt. When you're wearing it you can't see that it's not part of the other blue clothing and it's always in exactly the right spot.

As for boots, I can't afford to be *that* big of a purist so I got a pair that looked close from Demonia and we're working on the best way to do the wrap right now! :) The cloak is 90% finished too - when it's done I'll put up some photos of it with the full costume.

Sorry to post thrice in a row, but did you find that you'd used a pattern on the shirt? If I had a pattern made by someone with some real experience, I think my mother might be willing to help on a second piece.

Well I'll be darned. It looks like there are 2 threads per "cross" on the X.

See? Trust nothing!! :ninja

I don't have the time, nor the patience. So when I get around to it I'll "screen print" it. haha

Sorry to post thrice in a row, but did you find that you'd used a pattern on the shirt? If I had a pattern made by someone with some real experience, I think my mother might be willing to help on a second piece.

We didn't use a pattern, my wife just freehanded it - however she suggested that if you just use a regular shirt pattern, lengthen it a bit and put in a zip instead of buttons you should be fine.

I'm back!

Oh, the cape will have you cursing the costume designer. The one and only symmetrical part of it is the collar. Nothing else is like any other part of it! :)

Not even the collar is symmetrical. Check out the back and sides, the outside material is still not even almost symmetrical. MADNESS!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back