Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Post-release)

One final nugget that I think would have improved the film a bit. (I agree with Jay from rdm)

I will that quill went along with ego for a while longer. The power should have been an addictive drug. It would have helped the situation feel much more dire for the gang.

As it is, the placement of the reveal around his mother was clumsy and premature. His friends should have used that info as a way of snapping him out of the reveal. I think the idea of the gang supporting the cause without the hero for a while is a pretty strong case for the team aspect of it all

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

One final nugget that I think would have improved the film a bit. (I agree with Jay from rdm)

I will that quill went along with ego for a while longer. The power should have been an addictive drug. It would have helped the situation feel much more dire for the gang.

As it is, the placement of the reveal around his mother was clumsy and premature. His friends should have used that info as a way of snapping him out of the reveal. I think the idea of the gang supporting the cause without the hero for a while is a pretty strong case for the team aspect of it all

I thought that the mother reveal was pretty well timed. If the reveal happened at the end and he was a mind controlled puppet for a third of the film and the team uses that info to snap him out of it, I think it'd be pretty cliche. Also I love how Peter didn't think twice and started shooting Ego once he found out. Shows that he really loved his mom.

A little bit on how they did "young Kurt"...

[video]http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/05/06/kurt-russell-didnt-use-cgi-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-flashback[/video]

I thought that the mother reveal was pretty well timed. If the reveal happened at the end and he was a mind controlled puppet for a third of the film and the team uses that info to snap him out of it, I think it'd be pretty cliche. Also I love how Peter didn't think twice and started shooting Ego once he found out. Shows that he really loved his mom.
You're probably right about the cliche aspect.

It just struck me that there was no reason at all for ego to tell quill about his mom. Why do that when you're trying to pass yourself off as a good guy?

It just struck me that there was no reason at all for ego to tell quill about his mom. Why do that when you're trying to pass yourself off as a good guy?

Because immortal beings think about things differently than humans? And because he thought Peter was on board with his plan? Also Ego is an enormous ego-maniacal narcissist who couldn't imagine that the one kid who is "like him" would turn on him?

Your answer is in his name.."Ego". His is massively full of himself, despite his little quip about being a god with a little "g". He had already killed all of his children who failed to show any celestial power, and presumably he likely killed the women as well, just like with Starlord's mother. For him saying that, was no big deal. He probaly also thought that Peter would be more like him and have an easier time letting go of his friends.

Something i didn't get....I do understand that the Kurt Russel version of Ego had to return to the planet from time to time to recharge/keep his immortality, but that was for that body, no? Ego, the center of planet, was the 'celestial' and that version of him was immortal regardless of location - apparently unless you put a bomb on his brain. That part I get.

However, if Star Lord is truly part celestial, why was his mortality and ability tied to the planet itself? Not sure how it would be. It's like saying, when your father dies, you die. There's no correlation between the two. I'd maintain that if you're part celestial and have 'the genes' that that's it. You have them. Between 1/2 celestial might not mean you can live forever, but a boat load longer than the average human (provided you don't die of unnatural causes first (like a bomb on the brain)). That's how i was thinking yondu would survive. That Quill would see if he had any ability left and use it to revive Yondu. I mean, he had the ability to create a giant rock pac man and go toe to toe with dad for a short period of time. I don't get at all how that is exclusively tied to the planet. Even if the planet is a collected zone of power, to enhance what you can do, IT didn't provide the immortality nor the ability to make/do things.

Then again, maybe that happens in Infity Wars or 3.

This is essentially the mini-poster they gave out - just had a title and some IMAX stuff at the bottom (and a little more image).
GOTG2.jpg

Something i didn't get....I do understand that the Kurt Russel version of Ego had to return to the planet from time to time to recharge/keep his immortality, but that was for that body, no? Ego, the center of planet, was the 'celestial' and that version of him was immortal regardless of location - apparently unless you put a bomb on his brain. That part I get.

However, if Star Lord is truly part celestial, why was his mortality and ability tied to the planet itself? Not sure how it would be. It's like saying, when your father dies, you die. There's no correlation between the two. I'd maintain that if you're part celestial and have 'the genes' that that's it. You have them. Between 1/2 celestial might not mean you can live forever, but a boat load longer than the average human (provided you don't die of unnatural causes first (like a bomb on the brain)). That's how i was thinking yondu would survive. That Quill would see if he had any ability left and use it to revive Yondu. I mean, he had the ability to create a giant rock pac man and go toe to toe with dad for a short period of time. I don't get at all how that is exclusively tied to the planet. Even if the planet is a collected zone of power, to enhance what you can do, IT didn't provide the immortality nor the ability to make/do things.

Then again, maybe that happens in Infity Wars or 3.

Well, that's assuming Ego was telling the truth when he said that Peter could only use his abilities while "the light" in the planet was active...

Your answer is in his name.."Ego". His is massively full of himself, despite his little quip about being a god with a little "g". He had already killed all of his children who failed to show any celestial power, and presumably he likely killed the women as well, just like with Starlord's mother. For him saying that, was no big deal. He probaly also thought that Peter would be more like him and have an easier time letting go of his friends.

He killed Quill's mother because his feelings for her would have kept him on Earth and stopped his plan to become everything. If we take him at his word that he found other life boring, then we could reasonably conclude that includes the other species he mated with and probably did not feel the need to kill them due to the lack of emotional ties.

I love everything they call Rocket: Trash panda, triangle-faced monkey, puppy, fox, rat..

Overall it was fun... I don't think it was nearly as good as the first one. I don't think the Awesome Mix vol2 music was as good either...

I definitely think it was
lame that they killed off Yondu. They should have killed Nebula instead.

Saw this on Saturday, and walked out with a big smile on my face, maybe not quite as big as the first time I saw GOTG but still enjoyed the ride. Bonus for me was spotting Ben Browder seems to have been working on his Gold Coast tan.(Aussies will get this)
Great movie, will be watching it again.

I freaked out when I saw him. Having connection between GOTG and Farscape is amazing.

Has there ever been any explanation for why Starlord never goes back to Earth, considering how much he loves the culture he is tied to? Sticking with the same 2 tapes, youd think he'd hop back occasionally to get more or just visit...like Yondu apparently did to get the Zune.

Last edited:
I freaked out when I saw him. Having connection between GOTG and Farscape is amazing.

Has there ever been any explanation for why Starlord never goes back to Earth, considering how much he loves the culture he is tied to? Sticking with the same 2 tapes, youd think he'd hop back occasionally to get more or just visit...like Yondu apparently did to get the Zune.

There's a line in the movie that directly addresses that question. I think it's during the scene when Peter's talking to Ego and says "I'm gonna make some pretty weird ****!" He tells him he never went back to earth "Because it's the place I watched my mom die!" He loves his mother so much and her death was so traumatic for him that he's never had any urge to go back there.

I keep saying to people that Vol 2 was the most entertaining movie I've ever seen. I was super-hyped for Vol 1 and it still wowed me, but I was a bit afraid to get too hyped for Vol 2. for fear of being disappointed.

There's a line in Star Trek Generations that kind of applies... and I'm sorry if it's corny, but it seeing it was "like being wrapped up in pure joy" right up until it gets serious with Ego and of course: "He may have been your father, but he wasn't your daddy." Both Pratt and Rooker played that scene magnificently and no one should ever have any doubts about their serious acting chops after it. When you think about it, Gunn has managed something incredible with the film- take a premise that could be extremely silly, sappy and saccharine but managed to keep it 100% serious. In what other movie would something like the Mary Poppins gag not be the most embarrassingly dumb thing ever?

But beyond the hard stuff, just about every other scene in the film still makes me smile like an idiot when I think about it. I usually hate "child hi-jinks" in movies with a passion, but Groot didn't get irritating once. Maybe it's because Gunn wrote him more like an intelligent kitten than a human baby.

I walked out of the movie thinking that this is exactly what a feel good movie should be. I loved it!

I watched it a second time today.

The first time I saw it the first half seemed a little ponderous only because there was no development where I expected to find it - Quill and Gamora's relationship doesn't evolve, Groot is just a baby, etc. Since everyone was physically split apart we didn't get more of the same interactions we saw in the first. It felt static because I didn't understand the value of the new relationships that were introduced. There was also no McGuffin driving the plot. By the second half the true focus of the film becomes clear and pulls every thread together in an amazing way.

I think my first viewing was actually tainted a bit by the trailers. The trailers affected my expectations and some of the big moments lost a bit of impact because they were in the trailer (e.g. Yondu and Rocket's breakout, the Death Button segment, etc.).

Watching GotG 2 for the second time I was able to watch it with a clear head. This film is much better constructed than I initially gave it credit for. In some ways GotG 2 is even better than GotG. I can see that now. And, like any great sequel, enhances my appreciation for the first film.

So when are we getting The Original GotG starring Michael Rooker, Sylvester Stallone, Ving Rhames, Michelle Yeoh and Michael Rosenbaum?

Last edited:
I watched it a second time today.

The first time I saw it the first half seemed a little ponderous only because there was no development where I expected to find it - Quill and Gamora's relationship doesn't evolve, Groot is just a baby, etc. Since they were split apart we didn't get more of the same interactions we saw in the first. There was also no McGuffin driving the plot. In the second half the true focus of the film becomes clear and more than makes up for the first half.

I think my first viewing was actually tainted a bit by the trailers. The trailers affected my expectations and some of the big moments lost a bit of impact because they were in the trailer (e.g. Yondu and Rocket's breakout, the Death Button segment, etc.).

Watching GotG 2 for the second time I was able to watch it with a clear head. This film is much better constructed than I initially gave it credit for. In some ways GotG 2 is even better than GotG. I can see that now.
I actually avoided all the trailers and I thought it was awesome. Especially the structure.

Having a character driven plot is very important to me and this one nailed it. I also loved that the guardians we're split up for act 2. That really loosened things up a bit.

I actually avoided all the trailers and I thought it was awesome. Especially the structure.

Having a character driven plot is very important to me and this one nailed it. I also loved that the guardians we're split up for act 2. That really loosened things up a bit.

Well this film definitively convinced me to be better at avoiding trailers from now on.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back