DL-44 Grill Construction Help

newbanZo

Got my Todd's Costume's DL44 kit recently and I am having a hard time figuring out how to construct and mount the grill. From what I can tell, the grill is made from 2 or 3 of the Reade cylinder parts with 6 "fins" on each part.

Here are some pictures of what I came up with but I'm having trouble getting it to fit properly on the top part.

20161128_171304.jpg

20161128_171315.jpg

20161128_171340.jpg

20161128_171417.jpg

I wasn't sure if it was as simple as it not being cut wide enough or if I'm getting the design wrong all together. Any help would be much appreciated!

Move your mystery disk thing up until it ever so slightly overlaps onto the bulge above it. That's why the original greebly fell off and that might make a difference.

blaster%20left%20hero%20vs%20replica%20BampW%20best_zpsgsoiezgo1.png

Last edited:
Oh yeah thats just an aluminum sticker that wasn't stuck on so it was sliding around on me. However in the picture of the original you posted it looks like the grill just fits right over the receiver where as mine sticks out quite a ways.

2016-11-29%2005.08.07.jpg

Not sure if I can take the cylinder pieces down any further but I wasn't sure. I'm also starting to wonder if the denix has a wider receiver than an original mauser? Wouldn't surprise me as a lot of the other dimensions seem to be off but I don't remember reading that anywhere.

Yes, denixes are much wider than real Mausers, or even MGCs.

It looks like you'll have to take more down to get it to hug the frame. I always wondered how they got that look, is the small section separate from the two separate larger sections as well?

Alright I'll see if I can get enough out without sanding through, but shapeways seems like it might be the way to go.

thd9791 Yeah I took one of the cylinders and cut out the solid part in the middle then cut down the top of the tapered upper section to 6 fins. Then just glued them together with a second wide section cut from another cylinder. From the pictures I've seen that seemed to match pretty well

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! The barrel is flat it is just mounted a little off center thanks to the very wonky way it was drilled haha

You can fix the off center threading by filing the surface of the gun where it makes contact with the bull barrel. I had to do that for mine in order for it to line up correctly, mine was way off.

You can fix the off center threading by filing the surface of the gun where it makes contact with the bull barrel. I had to do that for mine in order for it to line up correctly, mine was way off.

I mean the threaded hole on the slide (??? definitely not a slide on a C96 but not sure what else to call it) is not quite right so when the barrel gets threaded in the whole thing sits a bit down and to the left

I mean the threaded hole on the slide (??? definitely not a slide on a C96 but not sure what else to call it) is not quite right so when the barrel gets threaded in the whole thing sits a bit down and to the left

Yes, that is what I mean. Are you saying that the threaded hole is not positioned correctly? Mine was more than a quarter turn from the flat side being positioned on the bottom. I filed the Denix where it had been cut, drilled and tapped to connect the barrel. I was very careful to not over do it, and it did take a while.

I can't remember if the denix frames are thicker or thinner than a real Mauser, but I think the reason your grill won't fit properly is because of the top 6 fins on your grill are from the wrong portion of the veron cylinder.

It looks like yours has the lower (smaller diameter, tapered) section of a cylinder as the upper part of your grill. The original grill was made from 3 cylinders, and it only makes use of the upper 7 fin area of an un-modified cylinder (The larger diameter section). The top piece of the grill is from the same section of the cylinder as the other two pieces, except the top piece is pushed back a bit off center from the lower two pieces, making it look smaller in diameter when viewed from the side.
So if you replace the top 6 fins with the larger diameter fins, your grill should fit great.

Best of luck on your project, it's looking great so far!

I attached a photo showing roughly which segments of the cylinders appear to have been used to makeup the original screen-used grill.

-Carson

Attachments

• GrillSegments.png
    GrillSegments.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 256
Perfect! That's exactly what I needed! When I was first putting this together that's how I assumed it was but I kept seeing a taper in the upper section for some reason. Thank you!

Regarding Shapeways options, I find this one to be more accurate (and cheaper) than the one linked above, FWIW... I plowed through a lot of other blaster stuff looking for good detail pieces for my Merr-Sonn. *heh*

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back