Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
speaking as someone who does love TLJ--and frankly does not understand why anyone would outright hate it-- I also am continually drawn back here. I sometimes question why that is... since it mostly does seem to be shouting down each other.

That's why i'm encouraged by your post here. Even though--as you state-you personally hate the film, nevertheless you're willing to accept that others don't, and leave room for that.

And as you've said, we are all guilty of using a bit more force than is necessary in the defense of our beliefs because; passion.

I love it... you don't. I can accept. So can you. That's a good place to be coming from :)

Absolutely! At the end of the day we are all fans and that's why we are here!

It's pretty depressing that this was the best you could come up with.

I'm really starting to hate the RPF... and that is not a good thing.

I wasn't trying to come up wth anything,...it's my honest gut reaction to Bryan's post

I cant understand that there are folks who are happy with sub standard quality

I would show the same dismay if someone were happy eating a half cooked KFC burger

People are being cheated & they cant see it

J

I wasn't trying to come up wth anything,...it's my honest gut reaction to Bryan's post

I cant understand that there are folks who are happy with sub standard quality

I would show the same dismay if someone were happy eating a half cooked KFC burger

People are being cheated & they cant see it

J

I actually voted for the first option of TFA-R1-TLJ. I’m very surprised people participating in this poll rank TLJ the best of the last 3 films. That doesn’t make me feel inclined to insult them, however.

I'm really starting to hate the RPF... and that is not a good thing.
I find that the areas outside of the Entertainment and movie talk forum to be substantially better. Coincidentally, these are places that most of the people ragging on every SW movie rarely seem to visit. It leads me to believe that they're not actually here for the props, but just to complain.

I actually voted for the first option of TFA-R1-TLJ. I’m very surprised people participating in this poll rank TLJ the best of the last 3 films. That doesn’t make me feel inclined to insult them, however.

That's the difference between me & you Bryan, It never enters my mind to decide to insult people, I never cross that line

J

Yes, hiding behind fake names and avatars with pure anoynmity to tell people you don't know they have no taste is brave.

Thanks Bryan

But listening to the main criticism of the film, as far as you see it,....what do you think is great about the film,....why do you think people are divided?

What do you think of those who are unhappy?

I asked Solo4114 a while ago something similar,..I really would like to know what you think of the issues that people find with the movie

J

Thanks Bryan

But listening to the main criticism of the film, as far as you see it,....what do you think is great about the film,....why do you think people are divided?

What do you think of those who are unhappy?

I asked Solo4114 a while ago something similar,..I really would like to know what you think of the issues that people find with the movie

J

I completely understand why people are upset regarding Luke. I found it very challenging to pivot so much from what I thought Luke would be so many years post ROTJ. I was always willing to accept a Luke who didn't do what was shown in the old EU but certainly never imagined the he could become so removed from everything. Luke considering killing Ben is both in and out of character for him, that's a tough point of contention where I can see both sides.

I mentioned recently, TLJ is a chore to watch in many respects. It has a lot of heavy moments that are dark and not a lot fun sometimes.

The stuff with Snoke, yes, it did turn out to be a whole lot to do about nothing and again I can see people feeling short changed regarding that. I was never very invested in his mystery myself. Now we start to get into the weeds of things like Canto Bite, space Leia, Holdo, etc. and again, all these aspects of the film are fair for critique.

So I don't brook argument with anyone being critical of all of the above. FYI, I do not like the Force projecting thing at all, that was a convenient contrivance.

I did like the film very much because I am very invested in the new characters and for me, the movie moved them forward into interesting areas I want to see more of. I really like Rey and Po in this movie and feel invested in their character journeys. I'm excited about where they can take this in IX.

My biggest issue with people who don't like the film has nothing to do with their criticism of the film itself, it's this spill over into claims that Rian Johnson hates Star Wars or doesn't understand it. That Disney and Lucasfilm is simply trying to wring money out of the franchise with no care or consideration for the content. The people who are making these films care very deeply for what they are doing. We can debate how effective they have been but any failures have been due to choices made with the best intentions. Fandom toxicity somehow moved beyond the film and is now targeting it's creators in a way I think is often unfair and sometimes very cruel.

And KK's attitude regarding the very people who have supported this franchise for 40 plus years.
That's ok ?. The issue in my perspective can be as simple as looking within Disney's own brands.

For example, Marvel under Feige. Clear direction geared toward future growth. Give the audience some of what they need sprinkled
with the unexpected. Satisfies old fans and creates new ones.

Lucas film under KK. I'm running the show, now and we're gonna do what I say. Not sure where we're going, but the people
who got us here aren't who these movies are for.

That's not the way you run a successful prosperous business, in any environment.

Thanks Bryan,...you tend to come across that you love everything SW, so I am very happy that you have issues with most of the things I do too,....it's a fine balance,...when I was watching the film the first time, the little negative niggles I had were swaying my enjoyment until probably 3/4 of the way through,...up until then I was willing to forgive & move on

The Luke thing bothered me a bit,...but I'm not as upset as the majority of hurt fans are,....It's mainly the tone of the film I don't like & I feel its a miss-step

I feel no connection to any of the characters now,...I thought they were introduced really well in TFA,...but I thought they were poorly developed & portrayed in this last film

J

And KK's attitude regarding the very people who have supported this franchise for 40 plus years.
That's ok ?. The issue in my perspective can be as simple as looking within Disney's own brands.

For example, Marvel under Feige. Clear direction geared toward future growth. Give the audience some of what they need sprinkled
with the unexpected. Satisfies old fans and creates new ones.

Lucas film under KK. I'm running the show, now and we're gonna do what I say. Not sure where we're going, but the people
who got us here aren't who these movies are for.

That's not the way you run a successful prosperous business, in any environment.

Again, I don't see her management style from the same perspective as you. Her career resume alone tells a far different story. George picked her to run his company for a reason. If you don't like any of the new films and look through that prism I can understand how it might seem that way, but I don't think that's the case. Also I have mentioned before, the Feige analogy doesn't really work, he's working with a very different franchise, one with decades of volumes material and storylines to pull from. The ST era of SW is being crafted from whole cloth, its harder to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Bryan,...you tend to come across that you love everything SW, so I am very happy that you have issues with most of the things I do too,....it's a fine balance,...when I was watching the film the first time, the little negative niggles I had were swaying my enjoyment until probably 3/4 of the way through,...up until then I was willing to forgive & move on

The Luke thing bothered me a bit,...but I'm not as upset as the majority of hurt fans are,....It's mainly the tone of the film I don't like & I feel its a miss-step

I feel no connection to any of the characters now,...I thought they were introduced really well in TFA,...but I thought they were poorly developed & portrayed in this last film

J

I do love everything SW, likely to a fault. :) I even like the prequels very much. I approach my fandom as being a fan first and foremost, I want to have fun, enjoy the films I am given (as I have no control over them), share it with my boy, ect. I can critique them but tearing them apart is not something Im interested in.They won't all be perfect but for me they will be a chance to revisit old friends and places for a bit. :)

Bryancd;4463231 Also I have mentioned before said:
To your first point about the rich history that Feige draws material and ideas from regarding the Marvel movies, the same could be said of the Expanded Universe (Legends) which has been in existence for 40 years between the novels, comics, video games, cartoons, etc. There is a wealth of material that they could have adapted or borrowed from rather than have to craft everything "from scratch" with a single writer/ director. The stories didn't even have to be copied exactly but used as a starting point to develop into something new and exciting. I would have taken some of those stories over what we got and would have gladly seen some of the new characters in Rey, Poe and Finn but with different motivations and arcs.

As far as your biggest issue with the criticisms against the heads of Lucasfilm, that is actually my biggest criticism of the new Star Wars. Despite the fact that I hate the new movies, it's actually the way Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Rian Johnson have handled the critics/ unhappy fans that I have despised the most. It doesn't matter what their credentials are in Hollywood either. If you openly insult your customers you will ultimately lose their business. It doesn't matter how powerful you are as a business person and it doesn't matter how wealthy you are. You treat people with respect. Especially people who are keeping you employed.

I found this video articulated a lot of what I have been saying too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFaSUn9bHVw

(some NSFW material)

I saw this poster that Lucasfilm licensed for sale at Hobby Lobby and it's interesting they would make this after what they did to Luke in TLJ. Maybe that "Luke" should have had this poster?

YC8dO1L.jpg

JJ put Luke on that island, yes or no?

JJ made his character a man who had given up because the Jedi had failed, yes or no?

These are the events of a film call the force awakens.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back