Ridire Fíréan ~ Obi-Wan Grafluki Lightsaber

Ridire Firean

Sr Member
Hey Gang! I thought I might as well start a build thread for my Obi-Wan Grafluki Lightsaber. Hopefully it will renew some of the interest I had in starting the project 3 months ago. And with any luck, it might even encourage the good folks at TCSS to make some Bunny Ears so I can get my first MHS Saber finished ;) .

Ridire Firean - LIGHTSABER - Obi-Wan Grafluki - 001 - Original Idea in REAL and Replica Parts.png

Ridire Firean - LIGHTSABER - Obi-Wan Grafluki - 002 - Visualized in TCSS MHS Saber Builder.png

Ridire Firean - LIGHTSABER - Obi-Wan Grafluki - 003 - via TCSS MHS Parts Box 1.jpg

Ridire Firean - LIGHTSABER - Obi-Wan Grafluki - 004 - via TCSS MHS Parts Box 2.jpg
Three months in, I'm still wondering if the MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 20 V2 is a different type of aluminum than all the other parts or if it was machined differently or what? Any ideas as to why its so white compared to the rest which have a darker almost chrome-like appearance?

Ridire Firean - LIGHTSABER - Obi-Wan Grafluki - 005 - TCSS MHS HEAT SINK V3 - Now with Center Ho.jpg
I have a couple of ideas that involve having a hole through the center of the heatsink, so last night I drilled a hole in it! Seeing these photos all blown up, I'm going to have to remember to put a little chamfer on the ends of my hole to match the 6 stock holes.

Ridire Firean - LIGHTSABER - Obi-Wan Grafluki - 006 - TCSS MHS HEAT SINK V3 - Now with Center Ho.jpg
Had to sign it!

Ridire Firean - LIGHTSABER - Obi-Wan Grafluki - 007 - TCSS MHS HEAT SINK V3 - Now with Center Ho.jpg
Had to fill it in with a little ink so you could see it!

Anywho, that's all I have for now. I'm still waiting on TCSS to have Bunny Ears in stock again so I can order up my last round of parts and get started on this project.

Note to self - Parts Wishlist:
1. Bunny Ears
2. Activation Box 1
3. GRAFLEX Red Button
4. GRAFLEX Glass Eye
5. D-Ring
6. Black Paint or Aluminum Black
7. Chassis Discs
8. Threaded Rod
9. TRI-CREE LENS!!!

POST 1000 BABY!!!

I just can't stand not posting here on The RPF while waiting to finish this project and show it off... so, this is just a place holder so that I can start posting again. SO MANY JEDI TRAINING REMOTE QUESTIONS!!!!

Please check back sometime late Summer 2019.

For now... (waves hand) Forget what you have seen here. This is not the post you were looking for. Move Along.

Hey mugatu ! I ended up getting a Blade Retention / Glass Eye Thumb Screw last year from TCSS. I sort of goofed up while drilling the holes to attach the Control Box and now the Grenade Section, Clamp Section, and Booster Section are fused together from flashing that occured. Hindsight is 20/20! I'd been debating on whether or not to restart the project, but ultimately decided to press on and just reimagine how the Chassis and Crystal Chamber would withdraw from the Hilt. And then TCSS went and made a part I couldn't pass up a few weeks back... so I ordered a whole new set of everything. I have been considering using a functioning Glass Eye on Obi-Wan Grafluki No2, but I'll have to modify it to make it work. It'll have to be a replica Glass Eye though, I couldn't bring myself to start filing on a real GLASS EYE.

Thank you for the generous offer, but please hold on to it for somebody who's in need of one for a REAL PARTS GRAFLEX ANH build.

Interestingly, in having decided to think through using a replica Glass Eye on No2, I re-examined the threading on my GRAFLEXes RED-BUTTONs and GLASS EYEs, since I bought a tap and die set with a thread gauge AFTER I'd bought and tapped the 5/8-24 hole, and they measure up at a 27, and even bought an audio/visual mic stand adapter piece to test out my theory, ... and I think I'm right ;) ... that the threading for those bits is actually 5/8-27, not 5/8-24 like I've been told.

I really ought to put this in my other thread about RED-BUTTON THREADS, but I'm too tired to find it tonight.

Quickly then...

The only 5/8-24 parts in current production are from firearms manufacturers.

5/8-27 parts are found in the audio/visual industry in mic stands.

Camera manufacturer from the mid 1940's makes a part with threads that end up in which industry?

Food for thought.

So, the 5/8-27 mic stand adapter easily bottomed out inside the GLASS EYE hole and easily threaded as far as the two posts would allow inside the RED-BUTTON hole.

The Roman's Props Red-Button I have goes into both the RED-BUTTON hole and the GLASS EYE hole on my real GRAFLEXes. Roman won't divulge what threading he's using, but my cheapy thread gauge has it at a 32. It also grabs hold inside the 5/8-24 hole that I tapped into Obi-Wan Grafluki No1. It doesn't have much to grab onto, but it does grab on.

The 5/8-27 mic stand adapter will not go into the 5/8-24 hole that I tapped at all.

TGS says its "Original" threaded parts won't work on Roman's flashes. But they won't tell me what threading they're using. However, Roman's Red-Button works on my GRAFLEX. Now, there's not much threading there on the shoulder swells of a GRAFLEX, so it's conceivable that all three sizes would work since they only have to grab onto a very short length of threaded section.

But when you add more than 2 threads on a piece, say on a mic adapter which has 9 threads on it, and it goes into a GRAFLEX without hesitation, but can't go down into a 5/8-24 hole, it leads me to believe 5/8-27 is the way to go if you're replicating GRAFLEX parts.

What I need to do now is order a TGS Red-Button replica and their Glass Eye replica and see what their threading gauges out to be. If it's 5/8-24, I have a tap for that. If it's 5/8-27, I'm right about my theory, they're right and already had it figured out. And I need to get a new tap and die set for Obi-Wan Grafluki No2 just to make it with the correct hole ! ;)

Thanks again for the offer! O.K. then, off to bed.

Did I just turn down a REAL GRAFLEX PART? In today's $1000.00 GRAFLEX market? Smurf me. I must be a really nice person, or really tired. Maybe a little bit of both I suppose.

And remember... (waves hand) This is not the post you were looking for. ;) Per contest rules I can't show any pics so I need this to fade back out of everyone's memory. Assuming they have a contest again next year. And assuming I actually finish my lightsaber! I'm supposed to be working on something now though...OH YEAH! Time for bed.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray thee Jedi my Force to keep.
Guide me safely through the night,
wake me up by lightsaber light.

AHHH!!!! That's not what I meant uncle Luke!

hehehehehe, seriously though, Good Night y'all!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back