Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

So you think that he leaned telepathy from Obi-Wan explaining mind trick? Interesting, it might be possible. But for telekinesis, the first time he used it was in the Wampa cave. Who taught him that? The Force probably. Also Anakin is good example of the Force guiding someone without them be aware of it.

Again it's all audience perspective, Luke taught himself to use telekinesis in the Wampa cave, we clearly see him concentrating on the attempt. I didn't get any sense that any outside influence was making him do it. Anakin made all his own choices in the PT, I can see how Palpatine was manipulating him with clever suggestion but none of it even required mind tricks. Anakin was a really unsympathetic character for me, he comes off as a whiny brat without much depth. That's likely a combination of poor writing, acting and directing though. It's why I don't pay much attention to the PT except as fan fiction. The continuity issues with the OT make it hard to line the stories up.

So you think that he leaned telepathy from Obi-Wan explaining mind trick? Interesting, it might be possible. But for telekinesis, the first time he used it was in the Wampa cave. Who taught him that? The Force probably.

That's not what he said.
Read his post again.

Again it's all audience perspective, Luke taught himself to use telekinesis in the Wampa cave, we clearly see him concentrating on the attempt. I didn't get any sense that any outside influence was making him do it. Anakin made all his own choices in the PT, I can see how Palpatine was manipulating him with clever suggestion but none of it even required mind tricks. Anakin was a really unsympathetic character for me, he comes off as a whiny brat without much depth. That's likely a combination of poor writing, acting and directing though. It's why I don't pay much attention to the PT except as fan fiction. The continuity issues with the OT make it hard to line the stories up.

Again this where you need to accept the seeming paradox of the Force. The Force chooses and controls everything. A 9 year old human boy, wins a Pod race, flies a Starfighter neither of these ships has he flown before. (Hes raced just not that Pod) Luke flies an X-wing, a ship he's never flown before and makes near impossible shot. Granted unlike his father he was aware of the Force. Rey, also, while knowing how to fly, had never flown the Millennium Falcon before. We also have people saying things like. "The Force will be with you always". " The Force is strong with this one". "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet". Alot of emphasis is put on the Force.

However, we see, at the same time, that the users have the ability to make their own decisions. Just look at anytime one of our heroes fails.

So somehow those two aspects work at the same time.

Mind you this is just my opinion.

Again this where you need to accept the seeming paradox of the Force. The Force chooses and controls everything. A 9 year old human boy, wins a Pod race, flies a Starfighter neither of these ships has he flown before. (Hes raced just not that Pod) Luke flies an X-wing, a ship he's never flown before and makes near impossible shot. Granted unlike his father he was aware of the Force. Rey, also, while knowing how to fly, had never flown the Millennium Falcon before. We also have people saying things like. "The Force will be with you always". " The Force is strong with this one". "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet". Alot of emphasis is put on the Force.

However, we see, at the same time, that the users have the ability to make their own decisions. Just look at anytime one of our heroes fails.

So somehow those two aspects work at the same time.

Annakin *had* flown pods. He had time to figure out controls EDIT ON A FIGHTER.
Luke *had* flown the precursor to the xwing...you see it in the garage.
Rey trained on simulators in the books, but pulls off a BLIND belly shot from a locked gun, completely unaware of space magic.

Rey out force pulls a light saber from Kylo. Kylo knocks her out with a wave of his hand, thrn she's reading *his mind.* the Force is a tool. You can use its wide variety to suit your needs. Some of the more vicous powers are more used by people with evil intent, but that doesnt mean everyone who uses a specific force power is instantly good or evil.

I think Anakin makes sense overall, I just find his story to be....not the story I want to see about a character in his position.

The PT does a decent job of illustrating that he has SERIOUS unresolved separation anxiety. Like, super-duper deep-seated stuff. It makes sense. He grew up a slave, however well-treated he might've been. He left his mother to join the Jedi order at age 9, when he was too old and had already formed attachments to his mother. He had to leave her as a slave, as well. Then he comes home, finds out she's been captured, goes to rescue her, she dies, and he LOSES HIS DAMN MIND and kills every creature in the entire village of sand people. Women and kids, too. Then he's sad about it, but hooray! He gets to transfer all his anxiety to Padme! Also he marries her. In spite of the fact that Jedi are forbidden to marry (which we were told...uh...in the trailer). Anyway, he turns to the dark side to save Padme, and then when she rejects him, he gets mad at her and "kills" her because he thinks all the bad stuff he did was for nothing.

So, basically...massive unresolved separation anxiety issues lead to the downfall of the Jedi.

He's a much more interesting character in the Clone Wars cartoon, because they actually take time to develop him.

You ask me, the seeds of a much more interesting idea are present in two lines of dialogue about him. AND you could still include the attachment disorder thing without making it be the sole reason for his turning. Basically, showcase Anakin getting attached to fellow Jedi, Clone troopers, civilians, whatever, all int he course of the Clone Wars. They get killed, he's furious, but he's told to hold back, and/or the bureaucrats in the Senate stop the Jedi from saving people because of the larger picture or something. ("Acceptable losses.") Anakin decides to go to the dark side because he believes that it's his duty to stop anything like the Clone Wars from EVER happening again, he thinks that can be done through the exertion of force and strength, and he's arrogant enough to believe he can control his fall to the dark side and bend it to his will. All of that would tie back to his hinting at a benevolent dictatorship in AOTC, and his desire to bring "order to the galaxy and end this destructive conflict" in ESB. I'd find that a lot more interesting than "I miss my mom and so I WILL KILL EVERYONE!!!!!!"

Again this where you need to accept the seeming paradox of the Force. The Force chooses and controls everything.
You only NEED to accept that in order for the inconsistencies in writing to work. I just don't see the Force represented as something other than a mystical energy source that the Jedi made up a religion around. It's not well understood by any of the characters in the OT or PT, the one's that are supposed to be experts are just applying their own biases and personal beliefs to it. Until recently in the film universe lightsabers were just elegant weapons from a more civilized time, now they suddenly "call" to people and seem to be imbued with the Force themselves. The whole thing has become a hot mess of story telling unfortunately.
Again as a stand alone the OT can follow logic for me, adding in even the PT would require me to "accept" something that doesn't follow logic so I don't give it a lot of consideration.
We all enjoy it in our own way, there's no right or wrong way to personally interpret a fictional universe and fictional Force.
Only Sith (and Jedi) deal in absolutes. ;)

Annakin *had* flown pods. He had time to figure out controls EDIT ON A FIGHTER.
Luke *had* flown the precursor to the xwing...you see it in the garage.
Rey trained on simulators in the books, but pulls off a BLIND belly shot from a locked gun, completely unaware of space magic.

Rey out force pulls a light saber from Kylo. Kylo knocks her out with a wave of his hand, thrn she's reading *his mind.* the Force is a tool. You can use its wide variety to suit your needs. Some of the more vicous powers are more used by people with evil intent, but that doesnt mean everyone who uses a specific force power is instantly good or evil.

I said he knew how to fly a Pod, just not that one, since he'd just built it. And its expressly stated that Pod Racing is to difficult for humans.

And what I'm describing is the will of the Force, that is alluded too. How does a mere tool conceive a child in a woman?

And what I'm describing is the will of the Force, that is alluded too. How does a mere tool conceive a child in a woman?

GL has made refernece to that being biblical.

We also dont know enough about Annakin's mother to give an exact answer. You also poopoo the conecpt of free will.

I said he knew how to fly a Pod, just not that one, since he'd just built it. And its expressly stated that Pod Racing is to difficult for humans.

I assume Anakin is the product of Darth Sidious and his mother, all it takes is a little mind trick and she believes it was an immaculate conception.

You ask me, the seeds of a much more interesting idea are present in two lines of dialogue about him. AND you could still include the attachment disorder thing without making it be the sole reason for his turning. Basically, showcase Anakin getting attached to fellow Jedi, Clone troopers, civilians, whatever, all int he course of the Clone Wars. They get killed, he's furious, but he's told to hold back, and/or the bureaucrats in the Senate stop the Jedi from saving people because of the larger picture or something. ("Acceptable losses.") Anakin decides to go to the dark side because he believes that it's his duty to stop anything like the Clone Wars from EVER happening again, he thinks that can be done through the exertion of force and strength, and he's arrogant enough to believe he can control his fall to the dark side and bend it to his will. All of that would tie back to his hinting at a benevolent dictatorship in AOTC, and his desire to bring "order to the galaxy and end this destructive conflict" in ESB. I'd find that a lot more interesting than "I miss my mom and so I WILL KILL EVERYONE!!!!!!"

Give it time.

For most of human history our stories/myths were subject to major revisions in subsequent generations.

If the SW mythology sticks around for many generations (which is moderately likely IMO) then people will be reinventing the prequels as they see fit. In many other modern franchises the idea would already be on the horizon within 10-20 years (now).

I assume Anakin is the product of Darth Sidious and his mother, all it takes is a little mind trick and she believes it was an immaculate conception.

Eww:sick that creeps me out. I'll stick with the will of the Force one this one.

GL has made refernece to that being biblical.

We also dont know enough about Annakin's mother to give an exact answer. You also poopoo the conecpt of free will.

Not at all. I'm all for free will. My point of view comes from being a Bible believing Christian. There is this concept that God is sovereign and in complete control, yet man has a free will. A seeming paradox. How does the work, I do not know.

I think the Force is similar. There's both a will of the Force, and a will of the Force sensitive. For me this the only way to explain everything we see in all the movies.

The force is what each film needs it to be.
Exactly, it's a flexible plot device.

- - - Updated - - -

Eww:sick that creeps me out. I'll stick with the will of the Force one this one.

It's really no more disgusting than anything else Darth Sidious does. It actually fits pretty well with the narrative of Anakin's unknown father and makes more sense than the explanation in TPM.

Exactly, it's a flexible plot device.

- - - Updated - - -

It's really no more disgusting than anything else Darth Sidious does. It actually fits pretty well with the narrative of Anakin's unknown father and makes more sense than the explanation in TPM.

I'd be curious if they ever expand on Anakin's origins. In Legends, Palpatine and Plageius attempt to create life. The Force rejected their efforts, and created Anakin in retaliation.

So let's say Palpatine is Anakin's literal biological father. Does that work with Anakin being the Chosen One? I prefer the idea that the Force creates Anakin to destroy the Sith once and for all. And Palpatine has this one chance to stop that from happening. His only hope is turn what could be his most dangerous enemy into his best weapon.

Man walks into KK's office with an armload of paper print outs...

"Kathleen... there are forums on the internet discussing you stepping down from Lucasfilm!"

Really? I see very little of that actually.

Man walks into KK's office with an armload of paper print outs...

"Kathleen... there are forums on the internet discussing you stepping down from Lucasfilm!"QUOTE]

Really? I see very little of that actually.

Well I don't think a guy actually ran into KK's office after printing out this forum either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back