NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

I think the answer is two things: First, regular moviegoers don't care about beauty shots of spaceships the way we do. The most extreme example of this is the refit Enterprise drydock flyby in Trek: The Motion Picture. Modelmakers and fans loved it, everyone else was bored to tears. That being said, the initial shots of the Falcon parked on the landing pad were at least as long and loving as the Mos Eisley "What a piece of junk" moment. I think once we all have the Solo blu-ray and can look at each shot frame by frame we'll see plenty of Falcon. Second, I think its part of the Star Wars style to treat space vehicles as common everyday vehicles -- no big deal. You don't linger on a shot of a Mack truck going down the road -- it's just a truck. At least that's the idea.

Partly I agree. However, due to the fact that Lando's Falcon is introduced with a lot of tension storywise and acts almost as a character, and Lando seems to be very proud on his sleak vehicle, I feel even storywise it should have had a bigger role visually. Compare it to a Transformers movie (one shouldn't do this quality-wise, I know...), but the cars are set in scene much more even when they are not transformed. The same holds for a lot of other non-scifi movies like any james Bond movie: slow, distant beauty shots are often used to highlight both the status of the main character, as well as to introduce the speed and/or the distance the character have to travel. George Lucas also used such shots, most extensively in the PT I think. And he succeded in building the universe where space travel and space ships are common, very much I think.

Also, the shots on the landing pad you mention are not compareable in impact as the Mos Eisley scene because of the poor lighting in Solo. The cleanliness of Lando's version doesn't impress because the dominant color of the ship is pure and clean white (or a slight off-white for the modeler ;)), but the poor lighting fools your eye and lets you think it is almost as dirty as Han's later version. Thus, the visual contrast between the early shots and the ones at the end where it is the piece of junk we expected is only half as much as they could have gone. At least, these are the feelings I had after attending two screenings. On the other side, in Mos Eisley you had the sun directly shining into the picture and there was no fog anywhere.

Another case of overuse of modern CGI...

I had to laugh that despite the massive technology in the star wars universe (aka light speed, laser swords etc...) they chose to impound the Falcon with a giant chain. LMAO! At least I'm pretty sure that's what I saw.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Woohoo!!!
7484c5392441c05f34921f40f54413c6.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now all we need is a 1/72 Perfect Grade Lando Falcon...

Unfortunately, I can suggest several million reasons why this won't happen. Sadly, the "Lets get Kathleen Kennedy fired" boycotters and TLJ backlash has convinced enough of the general public to avoid the film and it's almost a certainty now there won't be any Solo sequels. It's too bad since this is the kind of male protagonist/no politics adventure the He-Man Woman's Hater's club said they wanted. Disney already has enough Star Wars in the development pipeline that they'll turn the page on Solo as a failed experiment and move on.

The good news is that there is bound to be some talented ball of crazy who will attempt to convert the PG into the Lando version eventually. If I have an extra $300 lying around, I might be tempted to give it a shot myself.

Just got an email from USAGundam...my Bandai solo falcon has shipped!!

[emoji106]

I thought the Lando Falcon didn't come out until the end of June? Aside from that, now they've done every other version of the Falcon in 1:144. Let's get an OT Falcon in that scale!

Unfortunately, I can suggest several million reasons why this won't happen. Sadly, the "Lets get Kathleen Kennedy fired" boycotters and TLJ backlash has convinced enough of the general public to avoid the film and it's almost a certainty now there won't be any Solo sequels. It's too bad since this is the kind of male protagonist/no politics adventure the He-Man Woman's Hater's club said they wanted. Disney already has enough Star Wars in the development pipeline that they'll turn the page on Solo as a failed experiment and move on.

The good news is that there is bound to be some talented ball of crazy who will attempt to convert the PG into the Lando version eventually. If I have an extra $300 lying around, I might be tempted to give it a shot myself.

I didnt think a 1/72 scale Solo Falcon would ever become a reality regardless.

Just wishful thinking.

I didnt think a 1/72 scale Solo Falcon would ever become a reality regardless.

Just wishful thinking.

Had the movie topped Rogue One's box office and Disney followed through on the two sequels they were considering, you never know. Disney makes money by selling stuff, and the Landon Falcon gives them another bite at the Falcon apple for those who've already bought multiple toys and models of the regular version. But you're right, it was always a long shot even under the best of circumstances.

Had the movie topped Rogue One's box office and Disney followed through on the two sequels they were considering, you never know. Disney makes money by selling stuff, and the Landon Falcon gives them another bite at the Falcon apple for those who've already bought multiple toys and models of the regular version. But you're right, it was always a long shot even under the best of circumstances.

3d printers, maybe one day soon, will be able to match injection mold quality. When that happens, we can print Falcons as small or big as we want. Even of subjects that won't be done by model companies. Fun Fun.

That's a very good point. I wouldn't even say "maybe one day soon." It will happen eventually. And when that happens, and it costs the same or less to print a model than to buy a kit, the art of modeling will evolve into sharing and modifying files rather than waiting for a manufacturer to release their version.

I’ve speculated that they never really planned to make Solo sequels exactly, but instead would incorporate aspects of these stories into the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan anthologies. Crimson Dawn and Han could very easily feature in the Fett movie. Crimson Dawn/ Maul could also be integrated into the Obi film. So they could follow up on the story, even if it wasn’t the central thread. Just a thought.

I’ve speculated that they never really planned to make Solo sequels exactly, but instead would incorporate aspects of these stories into the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan anthologies. Crimson Dawn and Han could very easily feature in the Fett movie. Crimson Dawn/ Maul could also be integrated into the Obi film. So they could follow up on the story, even if it wasn’t the central thread. Just a thought.

That's more or less the MCU formula -- same universe, a few story threads linking them together, but possible to be considered a stand-alone so you don't necessarily need to know everything to enjoy it. It's probably the way they'll go now. If Solo had been a huge hit, there would've been value making a direct sequel since audiences are going in based off the reputation of the previous film. It's creating a brand within a brand. Now, they instead have to start over, so to speak, with each story relying less on the story that preceded it and more on the good will of the saga as a whole. In other words, Solo falling short won't prevent them from making a Kenobi or Fett film, but had Solo succeeded they would've made those films AND Solo sequels.

I ordered one from USA Gundam after seeing your message this morning, and they already shipped it this afternoon! Awesome!

Awesomeness!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Just out of curiosity, can you see the pic of the Bandai Solo Falcon i posted earlier today?
Having issues with my images showing up.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back