Painting Roy's steel shroud

Here is mine with wrinkle spray. I will wait the suggested 48 hours before I weather it.

funny how we make them shiny and new , just to beat the hell out of them.:confused

IMG_4481.JPGIMG_4480.JPG

I have to go back and read through this thoroughly, it looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is mine with wrinkle spray. I will wait the suggested 48 hours before I weather it.

funny how we make them shiny and new , just to beat the hell out of them.:confused

View attachment 819675View attachment 819679

It looks like you removed the small screws above port holes. Did you have to do this to get Roy's shroud to slide all the down? The shroud I got from Roy is slightly taller that Roman's and doesn't quite fit correctly.

Check it out - left side is Roy's (with the same VHT paint you used), right side is Roman's:

IMG_3356-29-05-18-08-42.JPGIMG_3357-29-05-18-08-42.JPG

Also, what's the concensus on D-ring accuracy? Roy's (smaller) or Roman's (larger)?

Based on the ESB Hero Prop I'd say Roy's shroud is the accurate fit. Hard to say about the D-Ring as it's misshapen on the Hero but, to my eye at least, Roman's appears to be closer:

Vader ESB MPP Saber_02.jpgVader ESB MPP Saber_05.jpg

Correct, the typical one step fits on all the way. The ESB/ROTJ hero is an anomaly in how it sits, the material used, the thumb screw, and the thickness of the one step. Roy’s is pretty good in those respects. :)

It looks like you removed the small screws above port holes. Did you have to do this to get Roy's shroud to slide all the down? The shroud I got from Roy is slightly taller that Roman's and doesn't quite fit correctly.

Check it out - left side is Roy's (with the same VHT paint you used), right side is Roman's:

View attachment 820629View attachment 820630

Also, what's the concensus on D-ring accuracy? Roy's (smaller) or Roman's (larger)?
No, it fits just fine. I only removed the screws because I changed Romans static plug to a real one. At the time of the photo, I didn't put the screws back in. I went with Roy's ring because I know he goes for full accuracy when building his runs. Not saying roman doesn't, but I think his may be more geared to ANH

View attachment 820629View attachment 820630

nice job. Mine looked like that as well. You can very lightly hit that with some fine grit sand paper and knock down the finish . Or you can leave it . Go very smooth and slow and gauge your work as you go. Stop when you like it. If you are uneasy about trying it, paint something else so you can practice. You should wait 48 hours before doing any sanding. Also, if you have a hot lamp, let it bake under it for best results

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back