Bespin Landing Platform for 1/144 Millennium Falcon

TK24271

Hi all,

I have just completed my first couple of models in 30+ years and realised how much I enjoyed it. In those 30+ years time has taken its toll, hands aren't as steady and eyes not so clear but I enjoyed the builds so I have decided to get a bit more adventurous having just ordered my Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon I wanted to try and make something suitable to display it on and therefore I have set about making a scratch build Bespin Landing Pad.

Now you will have to forgive me I know my limitations and I know I can't produce anything like some of the professional diorama's I have seen on here but as long as I'm enjoying myself I will keep trying :)

My aim is to make a platform with lighting and with a power connection to power my Falcon (which I also tend to add lights to). Now it'll probably be a month before my Falcon gets here so I have made my best guess calculations for the dimensions of the platform.

Any pointers or tips will be appreciated throughout.

The aim:

FalconPlatform327.jpg

Screenshot_20170120-193753.jpg

Progress to date:

I bought several sheets of 5mm foamboard and 1mm styrene sheets, I have never worked with these as I have never done a scratch build before. I started off with marking out my basic frame on the foamboard to be interlocking pieces:

9BFFE36C-7831-4EE4-AE21-0B5D8F7B99A6.jpg

5C89960E-1A76-4C72-AE1B-6E1B470ACDB7.jpg

Putting together the frame:

4D64E3DF-BBDD-49D6-980D-A86A2FAE05F9.jpg

Cut out and glued the platform in place:

7F069BDC-5FA2-46C0-81B2-24F1B5B454FE.jpg

Added supports for the platform's funnel surface:

CBB95570-2146-4AC6-9AB3-28ADB58149FD.jpg

Added a styrene surface to the platform and scored the flooring slab marks into it for later wash lines, also made the platform's tube support out of 1mm styrene:

0102B65F-374A-40D9-9CEF-6E42B10BB93F.jpg

Added support for the Bespin doorway and again covered in styrene:

BDFA38FE-014C-4463-99D8-078729B75235.jpg

2F9F3367-B4A2-49F0-8534-CEE8B71B56DB.jpg

That's it for now, hope I haven't bored you too much :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Off to a great start. I'll be following with a lot of interest since I have been wanting to build a platform for the Revell Salve-1 I finished

It's been waiting for a while since I haven't quite worked out the best way to go about building the platform. I may have to borrow your approach

Thanks for the kind comments all :)

Off to a great start. I'll be following with a lot of interest since I have been wanting to build a platform for the Revell Salve-1 I finished

It's been waiting for a while since I haven't quite worked out the best way to go about building the platform. I may have to borrow your approach

Feel free to :)

I had a rough idea how I was going to approach this, and glad it's kind of going to plan (so far lol)
Will attempt the building decorations tomorrow, waiting on my lighting to wing its way to the UK from China.

Started the wall of the platform/bridge for the lights. Measured and carefully cut out the top area:

1CC10AED-730B-4F3A-B6B3-8D5C7C0BE311.png

Cut out a number of 8mm strips to form the outer upright wall and glued into place then a lot more sanding to get the joints right. This took a lot more time than expected but worth it in my opinion:

3FF8AD5B-FDDD-4030-8E80-00DE8CE3A6A6.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back