Rotocasting smooth on 65d in a latex mold

Moviepropmaker6

Hey everyone

I'm going to be making a bucky winter soldier arm out of smooth on 65d,I've have quite a tight budget so I was thinking about rotocasting the 65d in a latex mold instead of a silicone one,can I do this?

Hey everyone

I'm going to be making a bucky winter soldier arm out of smooth on 65d,I've have quite a tight budget so I was thinking about rotocasting the 65d in a latex mold instead of a silicone one,can I do this?
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=239100

hey check this thread, I made a 65d arm and it came out pretty good for me.
I definitely over purchased ,resin, rebound 25 and the sonit wax, but I have used most of it on other projects since.I had enough for 2 arms and some other stuff.
I am not sure on latex rotocasting but would be willing to try to help u maximize cost on the materials so u don't buy way too much like I did.
I think in the thread I listed out what I bought and how much and could try to help u figure out how much u might need.

That being said it was nice having extra and not worrying if I would run out of anything..

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=239100

hey check this thread, I made a 65d arm and it came out pretty good for me.
I definitely over purchased ,resin, rebound 25 and the sonit wax, but I have used most of it on other projects since.I had enough for 2 arms and some other stuff.
I am not sure on latex rotocasting but would be willing to try to help u maximize cost on the materials so u don't buy way too much like I did.
I think in the thread I listed out what I bought and how much and could try to help u figure out how much u might need.

That being said it was nice having extra and not worrying if I would run out of anything..

Thanks,I've seen your thread,your arm is far beyond anything I can do,your's looks spectacular,I've had the same problem alot of times with my projects in terms of buying too much,I just don't know how to estimate how much of materials to get,anyway so do you think a litre of silicone(smooth on trial size) would be enough to mold an arm sculpture the size of the one you made,and a litre of smooth on 65d for a casting the size of the one you made?approximately how much did you use of each?

thanks,

Moviepropmaker6

Last edited:
how much did you use of each?

Moviepropmaker6
I need to get to ordering the materials does this sound right for this size project?

1 gal rebound 25
Pigment to distinguish the layers
Thinner for first coat
Thickener for last 2 coats

Sonite wax and mold release(not sure how much of this?)

1 gall plastipaste or plastipaste 2 for mother mold

1 gal smoothcast 65D

that is what I ended up purchasing. I still have a LOT of 65d and a have molded a few medium sized things since
I think the trial sized 65d would be enough for a single arm with good thickness.
the rebound 25 , I think you would need at leaste 2 trial sized for that. ( I made mine thick AND still had a ton left over from the gallon kit though0
I didn't end up getting thinner but did get the thickener to fill in some undercuts.

I need to get to ordering the materials does this sound right for this size project?

1 gal rebound 25
Thinner for first coat

1 gal smoothcast 65D

that is what I ended up purchasing. I still have a LOT of 65d and a have molded a few medium sized things since
I think the trial sized 65d would be enough for a single arm with good thickness.
the rebound 25 , I think you would need at leaste 2 trial sized for that. ( I made mine thick AND still had a ton left over from the gallon kit though0
I didn't end up getting thinner but did get the thickener to fill in some undercuts.

Thanks,Im going to be buying 1 trial size 65d and two trial sized rebound 25 along with thickener,thanks again!,

Moviepropmaker6

1 gal rebound 25
Thinner for first coat

1 gal smoothcast 65D

Do u think a Tin catalyzed silicone like oomoo 30 will work, instead of rebound 25 which is a platinum silicone.

Hi there, got to this thread late. Regarding the silicone mold, I wouldnt use oomoo for that, its only good for really small block molds, I have had some issues with it before. I would go the rebound, granted it is expensive, but it works better. Depending on the size of the arm, I would say that 2 trials of rebound, and 1 of the 65 could work. Although, if you want to make multiple pulls, I would suggest getting the gallon of the 65D cause its the cheapest one, and in case you screw up the castings, youll have a ton of extra to practice with. What are you going to use for a jacket? Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the project, and Malibu, your arm turned out beautiful! I especially liked the paint job!

good call on the mother mold Snikt. I have run out of plastipaste before and while not a huge issue , is a bummer waiting on what u need to finish something.
I cant remember how much plastipaste I had left but it didn't seem as much leftover as the 65d or rebound.

good call on the mother mold Snikt. I have run out of plastipaste before and while not a huge issue , is a bummer waiting on what u need to finish something.
I cant remember how much plastipaste I had left but it didn't seem as much leftover as the 65d or rebound.

i'll be using gypsona for my mothermold which is cheap so i dont think running out of it will be a problem

Last edited:
Hi there, got to this thread late. Regarding the silicone mold, I wouldnt use oomoo for that, its only good for really small block molds, I have had some issues with it before. I would go the rebound, granted it is expensive, but it works better. Depending on the size of the arm, I would say that 2 trials of rebound, and 1 of the 65 could work. Although, if you want to make multiple pulls, I would suggest getting the gallon of the 65D cause its the cheapest one, and in case you screw up the castings, youll have a ton of extra to practice with. What are you going to use for a jacket? Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the project, and Malibu, your arm turned out beautiful! I especially liked the paint job!

For my mothermold I'm using gypsona plaster bandage and thanks for the suggestions,and as for the 65d I dont know about getting a gallon but I might consider getting two trial kits of the 65d

There's nothing wrong with tin cure (condensation cure) silicone IMO. Its cheaper & its less likely to have curing problems. I use it on all of my moulds :) I also use Fiberglass for a jacket or mothermould, its relatively cheap, light weight & strong. Its just that stink that puts most people off :sick

HTH :)

Since you are rotocasting, plaster bandages should work. Good luck with the project! Gypsona is by far the best bandages out there too, I tried a few others and man. They sucked.
Leigh - I use fiberglass too, but if you dont have the right set up its a pain in the butt. Its toxic, tricky to use, and takes a lot of practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing wrong with tin cure (condensation cure) silicone IMO. Its cheaper & its less likely to have curing problems. I use it on all of my moulds :) I also use Fiberglass for a jacket or mothermould, its relatively cheap, light weight & strong. Its just that stink that puts most people off :sick

HTH :)
Thanks,you just saved me some more money

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back