The Predator (New Sequel)

I watched the trailer....

Someone appears to have knocked out a script over the course of a weekend with a 16 year old “ghost writer”.

My head is now throbbing and, somehow, I feel dumber after watching it.

I know that sounds strange, but...

2 + 2 = 16, right?

Right????

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they call them Yautja instead of Predators...smh

Probably because to most film goers who don't know that much about the comics and the books know them simply as Predators since they're never actually called Yautja (or any other name) in any of the films. Because of that, most people just call them Predators because of the film titles and assume that that's their name.

Last edited:
So they've had this in script development for YEARS, and this is what they deliver?

Disappointing. Predators could have been good, if they had left it with the classic Predators, and not the über predators. AvP and it's abomination of a sequel, just terrible. The Predator, took the worst part of Predators, another über predator, it seems. In retrospect, the franchise would have been better as a solo film, and no more made after the first. This looks like another example of ADHD film making for the ADHD audience.

Probably because to most film goers who don't know that much about the comics and the books know them simply as Predators since they're never actually called Yautja (or any other name) in any of the films. Because of that, most people just call them Predators because of the film titles and assume that that's their name.

Isn't the point what characters in the film call them? There's not really any logic behind the name (beyond it being a great movie title) since they behave more like big game hunters than predatory creatures that kill for food. So having someone in the film use the term is jarring.

Seems like this is just another case of lazy writing / execution, like so many other films where the gimmick is just something “bigger” and “badder”. Seen it in Star Trek Into Darkness with the “bigger” dreadnaught ship, Star Wars TFA with a “bigger” Death Star, Jurassic World with the “bigger” dinosaur, etc. Just the way things are sometimes done now. Sad

They're kinda taking away all the mystique of the Yautja race and overplaying the humans and Yautja become buddies card. They view the majority of humans like we view cattle. Once in a while a human will earn a begrudging respect from them, but that's it.

I've rewatched both trailers a few times. I'm not enthusiastic at all and there's two main reasons why I think this movie is going to be lukewarm at best:
1. The first two had Arnold and Danny. Very charismatic, masculine actors with presence that draws attention to the screen. Badass in the word's dumbest, yet most entertaining sense. Every subsequent Predator movie had these balloons of lukewarm water for protagonist. The guys in this trailer are no different.
2. Much like Alien, Jurassic Park, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Predator is based on a very simple concept too. There's only so much quality thing that you can churn out of it. You're either bound to repeat it over and over (Pred2 IMO just got away with it) or resort to gimmicks and jumping the shark.

I'm still wondering why the Predator movies are always set in our presence. Just take the story into the future or into the past (maybe explaining how the Pred got the gun from the 18th century at the end of Predator 2). That might bring something new to it. Or, what I personally prefer most (but which is highly improbable to get made) is a movie with aliens only, in Predator language, delving more into their society. A setting in Earth's past would be perfect for this (if they have to go to Earth again): Preds vs. dinos. Or let's take a different approach: A rogue Predator on a mission to sell alien technology to Earthlings in order to raise their tech status to make a hunt more exciting.

I'm still wondering why the Predator movies are always set in our presence. Just take the story into the future or into the past (maybe explaining how the Pred got the gun from the 18th century at the end of Predator 2). That might bring something new to it. Or, what I personally prefer most (but which is highly improbable to get made) is a movie with aliens only, in Predator language, delving more into their society. A setting in Earth's past would be perfect for this (if they have to go to Earth again): Preds vs. dinos. Or let's take a different approach: A rogue Predator on a mission to sell alien technology to Earthlings in order to raise their tech status to make a hunt more exciting.
Because period pieces are always more expensive. And because it would be way too much effort to write a properly compelling and original story involving the expansion of the race.
Not to mention that the society built purely on hunt is just dumb simplification IMO. The first Predator is AN alien hunter. Second is another ONE hunter with a few mates drinking on the ship. Just because some people go and hunt deer does not mean the entire civilization and species is all about hunting. So you either create an entire race that is all about hunt or have accountant Predator late from work...

Last edited:
Re: Predator New Sequel

Ugh, why reboot when Predators was a decent enough launching pad for a franchise refresh? They better not mess with the creature design too much.

Black transgender lesbian creature now than? I mean you have to be political correct after all

I think if the Predator versus Pirates movie timeframe was 1776, that Predator technology may not have advanced that far yet. Possible they don't have a cloaking device. They could have space travel perfected, but maybe not all the weapons modern day Predators have. Or possibly, they have rules on what weapons can be used on prey based on the prey's technology? A good writer could tackle these issues.

A good writer could tackle these issues.

Indeed. It could be Japanese pirates with Katana's, too.

As for the time travel aspect, I really think they could have mastered that. It would make sense because it would extend their hunting ground. It would also explain the Triceratops skull in AvP:R (or they have created their own "Jurassic PLANET" :D ;) ). Oh, did I mention AvP:R? I'd better duck and cover..! :D ;)

Predator 2018

Really hopeful for this one. We'll see what direction it takes, but I'm LOVING the new predator design. His armor is very elegant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, this is going to sound cheesy and silly, but what if the sworn enemies, ninja and samurai team up despite their utter disdain for each other to fight a common enemy?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back