Solo: A Star Wars Story

In my book you can't possibly be worse than Attack of the Clones. Not only the worst SW movie ever made, but one of the worst movies ever made period.

LOL; clearly you're on the fence about it. :) I used to feel the exact same way, but the one thing I always found redeeming was the Kamino sequence, and the seismic charge detonation sound (it was awesome in the theatre, IMO). The rest of it I had to learn to tolerate piecemeal. :-\

Last edited:
In my book you can't possibly be worse than Attack of the Clones. Not only the worst SW movie ever made, but one of the worst movies ever made period.

Clones was okay, but it never really felt like a SW film to the fullest. It lacked a 10 mile hole and to me each SW film needed to include a 10 mile hole at at least 1 person needed to fall in

When Lucas started he never had toys sales in mind for one second. The designs of props, costumes etc were made to fit the characters and stories, yes the toys came about due to the popularity but even then they were never a part of the push of the story like the rubbish we see today.
You cannot compare an Ewok to a Porg.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact he negotiated his salary against going overbudget. He famously retained the IP, licensing, and sequel rights in exchange for his salary on ANH. He didn't think about toys going into it, but when it became one of the only ways he was going to make money on the original Star Wars, he went for it. I think he was just trying to get something, and once the movie was a hit, it made him crazy rich.

It may not have been on his radar going into it originally, but moving forward from ANH it was most definitely a consideration.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with that-- he gamed the system and it made him rich. Good on him.

And I have been hearing "Welp they gotta sell more toys" for as long as I can remember, well before Disney came along.

Disney have invented characters and story lines for the specific purpose of selling toys, to the detriment of the final product. If Lucas did that, which I think he didnt, he was way smarter and better at it.

You cannot compare an Ewok to a Porg.

Of course you can. ILM'ers Joe Johnston, McQuarrie, Nilo Rodis-Jamero and Craig Barron are all on record about the development of the Ewok design. All correctly thought the Ewoks were veering too close to "teddy bears" and would be hard for the audience to accept as a serious threat to stormtroopers. Johnston and McQuarrie wanted to make them more savage looking in appearance but George insisted on a cuter and silly kid-friendly design — gosh, I wonder why?!

Ewoks and Porgs, both partially forged in the fires of crass commercialization.

Of course you can. ILM'ers Joe Johnston, McQuarrie, Nilo Rodis-Jamero and Craig Barron are all on record about the development of the Ewok design. All correctly thought the Ewoks were veering too close to "teddy bears" and would be hard for the audience to accept as a serious threat to stormtroopers. Johnston and McQuarrie wanted to make them more savage looking in appearance but George insisted on a cuter and silly kid-friendly design — gosh, I wonder why?!

Ewoks and Porgs, both partially forged in the fires of crass commercialization.

What purpose did the Porgs serve to the overall story?
Absolutely nothing is the answer, except to make Chewbacca look foolish and sell toys. The Ewoks at least were good fighters and kicked much Imperial butt. You just proved what I posted, Lucas if he did it for toy sales, was way smarter and better at it. And it looks like they have been brought back for Solo.

What purpose did the Porgs serve to the overall story?
Absolutely nothing is the answer, except to make Chewbacca look foolish and sell toys. The Ewoks at least were good fighters and kicked much Imperial butt. You just proved what I posted, Lucas if he did it for toy sales, was way smarter and better at it. And it looks like they have been brought back for Solo.

Porgs were silly and redundant but they were designed to function as window dressing and nothing more. If you found that Ewoks "kicking butt" was convincing or "smart" for the story being told in ROTJ, we'll just have to disagree on that one.

They exist so the production team didn't need to worry about erasing puffins that stray into the shots. If it's close enough to see that it's a puffin they can superimpose a porg over it, and if it's far enough away that it's just a flying animal they can leave it alone.

Laziness and toy sales, Check.

Exactly. You cannot compare the two. The Ewoks were not silly or redundant and served a major role in the story. "Judge them by their size do you"

Sure, we can compare the two since we're talking about intentionally commercializing a story element to help sell products. I refer you back to post #4089.

If you're cool with Ewoks and thought they served some greater good for the story, then we disagree (despite lots of screen time, I don't recall them doing anything truly useful that resulted in bringing down the Empire, do you?) but the same underlying design principle and goal were at work in both cases.

I can't wait for this movie. I think it will be pretty good!
I sound like a broken record as I've said what I'm about to say at least a dozen times when the internet haters bash a movie before they see it:
You can't argue with a bashing troll because in their feeble little minds, their opinion will always win. You see, they swear to planet earth that the movie will bomb and no one will go see it (because they themselves can't grasp the concept of a film they hate, though they've never seen it, could possibly be successful). Then said movie comes out and it IS successful. You'd think that they would feel stupid, right? Nope. They will tell you that the movie is just as bad as they told you it would be. But it made tons of money and people can't stop raving about it, Mr. Troll, how can it be bad? That's when he falls on his broken excuse that "people are sheep and they will watch anything". (This also works when he tells you how great a film will be then it bombs. "People are idiots and don't know a great movie if it bit them on the backside).

So so keep bashing, kids. This is what the adults are saying about you. :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back