ROTJ E-11 Builds

GCLAMBERT89

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After many MANY years, I am finally getting around to building one of these. I ended up first purchasing a cut up MGC MK-V from a gentleman on another forum for spare parts, not knowing what I would need in the future. A year or so later, I purchased another one from a gentleman in England, who had Frankenstein-ed it with actual L2A3 sterling parts!! Luckily I was able to use the parts from the cut up MK-V to replace all the missing pieces.

Just recently, I found another MK-V in fantastic condition, as rare as they are to find I couldn’t pass it up. Now I have two of these beautiful pieces ready to build!

IMG_3998.jpg

So far I have printed out the scope rail, hammers, front sight piece, door catch, magazine, and u tracks. The door catch, magazine, and u tracks were modeled and uploaded to Shape Ways. I have ordered test prints of the pieces which should arrive sometime next week. The magazine was based on close up photos, along with measurements taken from my cut up MK-V magazine. The door catch greeble (which I believe is a gun part of some sort) is based on a variety of sources such as close up photos of the screen used props, Chris Reiffs CAD model, and a version that is currently on Shape Ways.

rotj door catch greeble 1.jpgrotj door catch greeble 2.jpgrotj door catch greeble 3.jpgmag_3.jpgmag_2.jpgmag_1.jpgu tracks 2.jpgu tracks 1.jpg

This is going to be a lot of fun. Hopefully I wont fall to procrastination!

Last edited:
Watching with interest!

Is the magazine available? I need one for a MGC, that´s missing it

Yes it will! All these pieces will be available on Shape Ways once I have ironed out a few things. I am now 100 percent happy with a few of these pieces; so once I remodel them with better topology and a few adjustments, they will be made available. :)

I understand that the NcStar RB17 model scope ring is the closest anybody has gotten to matching the original scope rings used on both the ROTJ versions of the e-11 and DL44. Now I am not sure if anyone else has located anything closer, but I believe I have found the exact brand and model used. They should be arriving any day now and I will be posting more details and photos once they arrive.

Something I have been thinking about as of late is the type of materials used to produce these parts for the original props. There are many replica blasters that sport all metal greebles and scopes, but would a prop department do the same? I am starting to wonder if ILM made resin copies for duplication, considering the amount of blasters the had to create, not to mention the expense.

Something I have been thinking about as of late is the type of materials used to produce these parts for the original props. There are many replica blasters that sport all metal greebles and scopes, but would a prop department do the same? I am starting to wonder if ILM made resin copies for duplication, considering the amount of blasters the had to create, not to mention the expense.

They made resin copies of the ESB Stunt aka Pugman and used those in ROTJ as well

ROTJ Pugman ESB E-11 blaster 04.jpg

I dont think they'd make resin copies of a found object.
Using a found object is one less thing you have to build from scratch.
Look at the amount of pulley wheels and Tomtit parts used in ANH
and the number of V8 parts used everywhere in ESB.

I dont think they'd make resin copies of a found object.
Using a found object is one less thing you have to build from scratch.
Look at the amount of pulley wheels and Tomtit parts used in ANH
and the number of V8 parts used everywhere in ESB.

True, but consider the fact they had made at-least a dozen of these blasters; they would need 24 individual gun hammers for each blaster. From what we know, the gun hammers are sourced from another MGC replica gun , which means ILM would have had to purchase 24 of these guns just to get the hammers. That would be terribly expensive. They have the tools and know how to mold parts; why would they not do so for the greebles?

Last edited:
A lot of the time they have so many of these parts because they got them from the manufacturer.
It's possible they had piles of these from MGC or even the factory that made them for MGC.
In ESB, a lot of the plastic parts were from the molding factory (like the Volvo dash). They're scraps sold by the bin full.

BTW - Bapty made these, not ILM.
It's possible they cast some greeblies, but most of Bapty's props are all real parts and machined pieces.

A lot of the time they have so many of these parts because they got them from the manufacturer.
It's possible they had piles of these from MGC or even the factory that made them for MGC.
In ESB, a lot of the plastic parts were from the molding factory (like the Volvo dash). They're scraps sold by the bin full.

BTW - Bapty made these, not ILM.
It's possible they cast some greeblies, but most of Bapty's props are all real parts and machined pieces.

Thanks for the info! I knew that Bapty did work for ANH and ESB but I was certain I read somewhere that ILM did prop work for ROTJ.

UPDATE

After carefully studying photos of the screen used prop and comparing them to the 3d printed parts that I currently have, I have determined that the scope, rail, and sight piece (RO72 rear sight) is not quite exact in regards to dimensions and shape. I used detailed photos to create a very close 1:1 replica of each part and have now sent them to Shapeways for printing. :D

I may have missed a detail or two, so any suggestions or input is highly welcomed.
scope and parts 2.jpgscope and parts 1.jpgscope and parts 3.jpgscope and parts 4.jpgscope and parts 5.jpg

scope and parts 1.jpg

scope and parts 2.jpg

scope and parts 3.jpg

scope and parts 4.jpg

scope and parts 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back