Doctor Who - The Silence (was: Sinned's 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry)

Sinned

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Finally came up with something I think I can get done in the time period, so throwing my hat in.

Slightly non-committal at the moment, but I'll nail it down in the next several days. I've been waiting almost a month for my new sculpting head forms to show up, and still no word. Depending on that, will dictate my project:

Option 1: Scorpion's mask for Mortal Kombat X
Option 2: Not modeled after anything in particular, but have been wanting to make a zombie head, fountain

Scorpion-Mortal-Kombat-X-Official-Art_zps71wfvsqf.jpg <insert generic zombie picture here>

If I get my forms in the next week, it'll be option 1, else option 2. Both will be either Monster Clay, or Chavant. Probably Chavant.

As for me, I made my very first "sculpture" just about 2 years ago-- it was a mask done out of water-based clay. I had no idea what I was doing, and worked on it over a few weeks, with it drying out between work sessions. Given the medium, and my work habits, the forms were extremely rudimentary, but at least resembled what I was going for. I enjoyed it so much though that I read a bunch more, and discovered more tools, techniques, and friendly sculpting mediums. Fast forward 2 years, I still don't have much of an idea what I'm doing, but I have several more passable mask sculptures under my belt, and have been soaking up as much learning as I can!

Last edited:
Re: Sinned's 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry

Scorpion is one of my all time favorite characters, can't wait to see what you do, either of the 2

Thanks guys! Excited to have a good reason to start something new.

So, I sat down last night and realized it's almost May, and I don't have anything to show yet! My new head forms did come in, but I've decided to go the Zombie/Creature route, rather than Scorpion. Still going to do the mask, just not yet. I've been wanting to try my hand at a bust for a while, so I figured now was the time.

I spent a while on a VERY rough block-out last night. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to take it in yet...pure zombie, or more hybrid creature. I figure it'll make the decision for me, as I go along. It's not at any exact scale, but approx 1/2, I think.

Chavant NSP Medium, with acrylic eyes.

Anyhow, it's a start.

Zombie-01_zpsqpjqavnx.jpg Zombie-02_zpsbknhs99g.jpg Zombie-03_zpsfdpvnbdv.jpg
Zombie-04_zpsumm3eybt.jpg Zombie-05_zpsuhlnt2q6.jpg Zombie-06_zpsy4iywocr.jpg
Zombie-07_zps6mwy6vxh.jpg

Direction found! But, it's nowhere near where I intended to start, when I first posted. :) I guess it falls under the "creature" category though. Still really rough, but starting to take shape. Hopefully recognizable by those "who" know.

silence-01_zps74arktjg.jpg

Thanks, @SlipKnoT! Good to know I'm on track with it, especially if you haven't seen the show. So many things going on over the next few weeks, really kicking myself for procrastinating so long. Here's hoping I get it finished enough in time for the deadline.

I'm going to be hitting you up for molding advice when/if I get it all done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Found another 3 hours to spend last night, and fixed up some forms a bit. Jawline is still wrong, and it doesn't quite look "stretchy" enough, but it's on the right track. Glad I stepped back and took some pictures. The right eye (left in the picture) was looking pretty good from my vantage point, but I can see here the ridge-line isn't near crisp enough around the eye, and too crisp at the forehead. As a friend on Instagram pointed out, I'm having a hard time because, every time I look away from the picture, I forget what it looks like. ;)

May 10, is not looking far enough away!

silence-02_zpsjaivwrew.jpg

Think I'm ready for detailing, just need to bring the nose and mouth a little farther out first; they're just a smidge to flat still. Coming in extremely hot, but I just might make it. :)

silence-03_zpszockoynm.jpg

Shew, finished! Hopefully you can remember seeing it. ;)

I can't decide if I want to try and sculpt his shirt/jacket/tie, or sew something up instead, so leaving it be for now. This was definitely a fun new experience!

TheSilence-finished-01_zpsr8hqae5i.png TheSilence-finished-02_zpss0mjimd5.png TheSilence-finished-03_zpspbpj1ivn.png TheSilence-finished-04_zpsieq5t5x2.png

TheSilence-finished-05_zps9zrynsac.png TheSilence-finished-06_zps5llgikqd.png TheSilence-finished-07_zpsrcoqfpkz.png TheSilence-finished-08_zpsxxpj3zrt.png

Very nice sculpt!! I think you've got this one in the bag. I love your little logo in the corner too! :)

Thanks guys, I'm more pleased with it than I thought I'd be. :) Sure learned a lot over the course of this one.

I love your little logo in the corner too! :)

Haha, thanks! Wish I could take credit for it, but I had someone design it for me a few years back . . . love that little guy. :)

This came out really well. I am a huge Doctor Who fan. I sculpted a Davros a couple years ago. Long live Doctor Who!!!

Thanks, 13doctorwho! I'm a big fan as well. :)

I actually added some more to this sculpt a couple of months ago, and then molded it up. I should probably throw some more pictures up here of how all that came out. I just need to come up with a base for the bust now.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back