High res 3D printed Devastator

Martaaay

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster.

I've built a full size r2, and am knee deep building bb8. I've always wanted to make a studio scale star destroyer. I'd like to go the route of 3D printing. Are there any other projects doing this? I haven't found one.

If no others, is there interest in modeling all the little greebles and overall body with me? My goal would be to have it light up with fiber optics. I did a similar smaller model before, but now I want BIGGER!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working on it. :)

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome! Looks like some work already underway. Are the files accessible somewhere? Maybe in a way to accept contributions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not currently - the project was originally born out of my dissatisfaction with what was available on the consumer market. A full size model is a little too big for my appetite (4 feet long), so the plan was to 3D print the parts in sub assemblies at half scale, something a little more manageable. All of the parts were modelled with the parts in-hand so you can imagine what kind of $$$/time investment that it has been so far. I've thought about offering parts/sub assemblies as a means to recouping some of that investment but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

I bought a folgertech ft5 printer that has a 3d print volume of 12x12x15. I bet it could take a bite out of a project like this. At least on making a nice armature for it. I saw a thread that eaton did putting together a 32inch falcon using printed parts for the armature. So it should be doable for the three footer at least.

Sounds interesting. Just for the record (and so that the scope can be truly appreciated), "three footer" is a bit of a historical misnomer, it's actually 4 feet long.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back