EP VII Millennium Falcon

bit of progress. Happy New Year everybody
Just amazing, you are very dedicated .....cannot wait to see this in action....
I have a question for you since you have reviewed the footage more than anyone, the original MF engine exhaust port had a horizontal line running along it that was centered vertically.
The new MF exhaust port detail seems to be in the upper third, at first I thought this was just the perspective of the shots we got to see , but the more I watch them and pause as close to dead on rear , it seems the exhaust is different. Is this something you can confirm yet, if not don't worry I'm sure we will see plenty more clips before this summer is out :)
see this shot as an example where we appear to veiwing the falcon nearly flat yet the line is definitely above dead centre.
star-wars-episode-7-millennium-falcon.jpg

The square antenna of the upgraded Millennium Falcon is not just a random Corellian antenna. It is indeed similar to the one on Tantive IV, but that's not all there's to it: we must remember Tantive IV's history as briefly being the original Millennium Falcon. Yes, the new antenna on the Millennium Falcon is a loan from – the Millennium Falcon! It's kinda beautiful if you think about it.

I really like these little details that keep coming up as we know more about the upcoming movie. With the nods to Ralph McQuarrie's original work J.J. Abrams keeps telling us over and over again that he knows his Star Wars inside and out. At least from the technical and aestethic point of view. I wouldn't be too surprised if a small Cantwell nod comes up at some point too. I'm not really expecting that, but it would kinda fit the pattern.

I have subscribed this thread as I am eagerly looking forward to the findings on the new Falcon. I can't say I know her thoroughly but I still get excited when a new red panel is found. So far, the changes to the Falcon seem to aim to making it richer in detail simply with deepening the layers of greeblies in the correct places. This is good, it's logical and will look fantastic on screen. I only hope the model on the trailer is not the final model or render, it is too flat on surface detail.

There are interesting things going on on the aft sidewall, by the way, as seen in this photo (I enhanced it in Photoshop to bring out the detail). How will the rest of the sidewalls look like? I can't wait to find out.

Falcon-aft.jpg

Cheers, keep up the good work! :)

Just amazing, you are very dedicated .....cannot wait to see this in action....
I have a question for you since you have reviewed the footage more than anyone, the original MF engine exhaust port had a horizontal line running along it that was centered vertically.
The new MF exhaust port detail seems to be in the upper third, at first I thought this was just the perspective of the shots we got to see , but the more I watch them and pause as close to dead on rear , it seems the exhaust is different. Is this something you can confirm yet, if not don't worry I'm sure we will see plenty more clips before this summer is out :)
see this shot as an example where we appear to veiwing the falcon nearly flat yet the line is definitely above dead centre.
View attachment 420558

as far I can tell, the horizontal structure appears to be recessed quite a bit, so from this angle it does look like it's in the upper third, but it actually is centered.

Yes, the new antenna on the Millennium Falcon is a loan from – the Millennium Falcon...

... I wouldn't be too surprised if a small Cantwell nod comes up at some point too. I'm not really expecting that, but it would kinda fit the pattern.

though don't forget that when the Tantive used to be the Falcon, it had the round dish. Still, it's true that a connection between the two ships does make sense, and is a bit poetic.

As for a potential Cantwell nod, man, that would be great. I hadn't thought of that angle, but the production team has certainly done their homework enough for that to be a possibility.

here's a side by side orthographic of the new falcon with Vfxsup64's beautiful photogrammetric copy of the 5' Falcon.

Mine on the left is completely from the photomatches I made, and it's looking seriously consistent with the 5' Falcon. Just a few differences, very cool to see.

attachment.php

Vfxsup64 said:
Vfxsup64 quoted here so he'll see it.

Attachments

• comparison.png
    comparison.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 11,615
Last edited:
tumblr_inline_nftl2xVDXT1qz953u.gif

so it's really awesome that they're referencing this scene with a replacement dish, but it just occurred to me that an extra little detail was missed out on. How about a new big ol' scratch on the rear port quarter armor? I mean, yes they did change the paneling there a bit, so maybe a bunch was replaced, but I think a new scratch that we'd know the story behind might've been pretty cool. ah well...

S,

Thank you very much for the quote!

You've done an amazing job here and it does indeed look like the new epVII MF is very much like the 5 footer.

I'm curious if you've compared the side views yet?

With our current master ANH MF assembly, I've done a very quick Syntheyes 3D camera snap to the new Imax teaser frame and it looks like the new MF might be a little thinner in the Y-Axis relative to the ANH 5' Falcon - at least in the aft engine area.

Cheers,

Andre

Last edited:
hey, I'd love to see that camera snap, could you share a screencap?

Here you go:

Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 2.17.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-02 at 3.23.28 PM.png

This is a very preliminary solve, to only one frame, and I'm not totally happy with the fit. I'm thinking of using some other frames from earlier in the shot.

Also, I assumed a few things:

- Imax camera frame dimensions 2.772" x 2.072"
- Standard prime lens focal length of 110 mm (solved to 115mm)

Although, this is probably a completely CG shot so any focal length could have been used other than an Imax prime lens from the standard lens kit.

Regards,

A

Last edited:
very cool thank you.

one particular thing I noticed with the new Falcon is that the lower bank of engine flaps doesn't seem to be raised away from the body dome, but is a direct extension of the dome's curve

funny that you got a slimmer falcon on the Y axis, I had to make the body deeper to fit my solution (with a starting model based on the fullscale prop)

Thank you!

I'll work things some more - I have a feeling that my solve is off (i.e. lens focal length, lens distortion (often added to an all CG shot)).

Regards,

Andre

Last edited:
@ Irken Tech, actually that's not just his head, I made enhancements to his outfit and added boots and other details, but it's pretty much his body too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back