Star Destroyer Proportions

The new Revell kit.
(excuse the light and background)

IMG_2122b.jpg

More pics over here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=266227&p=4115266&viewfull=1#post4115266

I wonder if they manage to make the washed-out panel lines larger than the actual panels in their next kit, being on such a good way to finally achieving this. The panelling looks horrible. But still, on the plus side, it does have the landing gear.

Last edited:
If thats the Rogue One SD, then they messed up the radar (what ever its called) part. Thats from the ESB SD, not ANH like it should be.
IIRC that top rectangular tracking unit has two modes- flipped vertically for active pursuit/tracking and horizontal (normal), When we first saw the ISD chasing after the Corvette it was full active mode, the remaining times the ISDs were just in fleet actions.

IIRC that top rectangular tracking unit has two modes- flipped vertically for active pursuit/tracking and horizontal (normal), When we first saw the ISD chasing after the Corvette it was full active mode, the remaining times the ISDs were just in fleet actions.
I've never read that it did that. There is no evidence on the model that it moves up and down like that. It would be interesting if Rogue One showed it changing modes.

I forget where I read that, might have been one of the technical books, but it makes sense looking at the structure- both are nearly identical between ISD-I & ISD-II except for position and then when you put into context.

Hi and thank you for this thread. Firs post at The RPF! :)
I'm currently working on building the SD II Avenger and I have multiple questions about proportions and some parts (mainly the bottom part of the ship). And I'm always surprised about how much variations we can find between all the kits (I hope the future Bandai one will be accurate...)

Luckily, I have been able to take a bunch of photos of the Avenger at Star Wars identities exhibition in Paris, enough to produce a scan data of a big part of the model and I'm using it build my own model (I'll go 3D printing).

Because it's based on the original built from the movie, I hope it's the most accurate source. I may do a quick fly to UK soon to take extra photos and hopefully, being able to produce a better 3D scan.

Then on my scan and from the photos, the tower bridge (part below the deflector spheres) has an angle (orange line). But from my finding, on most kits and "blueprint" that can find on internet, this part is vertically aligned with the center line (blue) and not without a small angle. Because the scan was done in very poor lighting condition, I can't guarantee that it's perfect.. but I think I can trust it that some kits...

avenger_angle.jpg

I'll open my own thread about the work in progress very soon.

Last edited:
Welcome. And yeah, I have never noticed that its at an angle. But hard to tell if its from the camera or not. Is there other pictures from the same angle to compare?

The entire upper structure is parallel to the hull upper surface, so it slopes down relative to the center line.

Correct. And this is something Revell got wrong with their new ISD. The bridge has a noticable nose up angle that I'm in the process of correcting on my kit.

Robert

Welcome. And yeah, I have never noticed that its at an angle. But hard to tell if its from the camera or not. Is there other pictures from the same angle to compare?
The image is coming from my 3D software, it's a screenshot, it's not a "photo" :)

The entire upper structure is parallel to the hull upper surface, so it slopes down relative to the center line.
OK, then I'm right :) Thank you for the confirmation.

Which Revell kit is it? It is not the new one, correct? (I'm waiting the new one for the Saturday)

I'm on the process of starting my thread, I'll post in it a link to the photos I did of the ISD Avenger.

I'll drop this here too. The Armada Miniatures game piece got the bridge angle correct. This miniature is about 9 inches long.

2z6whl3.jpg

I swear, I learn more here every day. :) It's so hard to know what source is a bit of retconning, what's "canon", etc! I've read elsewhere that piece has two different functions; on the ISD-1, it's a tractor beam targeting array, and on the 2 it's a communications tower (while the tractor beam targeting array was moved within the waistline towards the front). Although, perhaps that's all a bit of Imperial disinformation..? :)

You so rarely get a top view of a SD, I had no idea it was the same shape!

Just a lurker's .02. :)

In all seriousness, I'm planning to hinge that tractor beam/communications tower piece so that it can be up in the ANH configuration or down in the ESB mode. I win.

It sure does look better

How much effort did it take to correct the angle?

Was it as simple as just repositioning it while assembling or did you have to do some cutting/shaving?

Do you have any "in progress" pics?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back