Interstellar TARS build

Woah! Thats going to be awesome, also I got my TARS Figure today! I have to make modifications to it so that it will move better but overall I'm happy with it!
IMG_9105.JPGIMG_9103.JPGIMG_9104.JPG

Hey all,

here is a new photo of my TARS.
This project is not really big but it takes a lot of time to cut out all the panels from the stainless steel plates...

Attachments

• IMAG2222.jpg
    IMAG2222.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 366
  • IMAG2223.jpg
    IMAG2223.jpg
    952.4 KB · Views: 213
FYI the Interstellar Blu-ray will contain a disc with supplementary material. Here are the details. Of note is that it will include this featurette:

• TARS and CASE—Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI the Interstellar Blu-ray will contain a disc with supplementary material. Here are the details. Of note is that it will include this featurette:

• TARS and CASE—Designing and building these unique characters and how they were brought to life on set and in the film.

I hope there will be a 4K Version if it, too...
Good to know about the special :)

My wife said she will kill me if this "thing" is not gonna be somewhere else than in our living room untill tomorrow. Well, it was worth it :-D

IMAG2236.jpg

IMAG2237.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty All! I give you My completed TARS V1!! I made a whole photo shoot for the last one. Its in sequence, of Daft Punk stumbling along TARS. They check him out and turn him on accidentally. They jump back and then TARS becomes Daft Punk's new Friend! Sorry If their sideways, when I upload them they flip to the side?
View attachment 435723 photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
from the looks of the web link, there should be a TARS on display at SXSW, is there RPF guys that can go to confirm a width or height?
cool video BTW

The project is looking great! I love TARS, and it will be great to see one or more versions walking around for real.

Moifert, I've also been working on a Lego TARS ... it's quite similar to yours but I took a different approach with the dimensions. I'll throw it up when it's done! Yours looks AWESOME all put together, makes me optimistic about mine too! I'm gonna use decals for the text and brail and hopefully make some sort of custom sticker for the screens.

Hello Guys,

I decided to create my own lego TARS Figurine and after seeing all your awsome project, I want to share with you my project http://blog.mottet.tk/Lego figurine TARS. I share my building guide and the bricks you need. If you go to my blog you will see more pictures!
View attachment 438388View attachment 438389

And the real:

View attachment 438390View attachment 438391

Hope you like it!!!!

I've watched the film again since my last post and had trouble figuring out some movements that TARS makes, namely walking and the tilting action when in 'console mode'. It would seem difficult to make 4 square legs of equal length move forward and backward without the bottom surfaces catching on the ground. On the tilting action it would also seem there'd be a clearance issue; as TARS tilts his top half up.

Timtastic.

I've been thinking about this clearance issue as well lately. I'm no engineer and I'm sure there is already a term out there for this type of mechanical component, but what if TARS' "legs" were each connected with a type of rod that is offset where each leg meets, so that if they rotated they would lift the neighboring arm up just a bit and then back down again, in a uniform motion. TARS' computer could control each of these joints' rotation individually or simultaneously. This motion combined with the legs tilting (maybe with sliding, interior weights as someone here previously mentioned) could maybe create a walking motion that wouldn't drag on flat ground. Here's a (very) crude drawing of what I mean ...

TARS Leg Articulation.jpg

***Edit: Just realized that you could also have the legs "swing" by being able to lock each said joint individually ... if you lock the joints around a leg but keep supplying power to rotate the rod, it could tilt the whole leg with it instead, relatively easily (at least for his standard walking position where the rod is in the center and the legs would be balanced).

Also just realized that looks like a TIE fighter ...

Last edited:
From the diagram in the video:

Full Scale Tars Mock-Up
5'-8" High
2'-6" Wide
9" Deep

All Lines
1/4" Deep
1/16" Wide

TARS_and_CASE_-_Interstellar__Behind_the_scenes__mp4_and_Main_Window_and_Interstellar_TARS_build.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back