The Last Jedi Graflex Research - Spoilers inside!

:lol

But why tape? Seems like a last minute kinda thing to me. Particularly considering that they went through the effort to create a clamp cover.

Covering copyright material with tape was a common thing in the Star Wars galaxy ;)

I think the prop makers are paying heritage by still using the silver tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covering copyright material with tape was a common thing in the Star Wars galaxy ;)

I think the prop makers are paying heritage by still using the silver tape

Or, why on earth bother doing anything more elaborate if no one (sane) could be expected to tell? I mean, there are other tasks on the list, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There wasn’t much cg prop changing going on in TFA as much as TLJ.

I feel as though it’s tape.. I can actually guarantee you it is tape. I can’t explain why/how but your gonna have to trust me on this one

Tape! [emoji14]

I can confirm that tape was used! I even have proof, unfortunately it's confidential images.

You probably wouldn't expect this intel coming from a guy who sells SS bottom plates! [emoji1]

I think it must have been a last minute thing, otherwise it would have been done the same way as the clamp cover: with a SS photo etched disc.

I can confirm that tape was used! I even have proof, unfortunately it's confidential images.

You probably wouldn't expect this intel coming from a guy who sells SS bottom plates! [emoji1]

I think it must have been a last minute thing, otherwise it would have been done the same way as the clamp cover: with a SS photo etched disc.

Honestly Roy. I like your plate bottom better. Seeing the effort they threw into making the clamp cover, I wonder if they just over looked the bottom, and with a last minute fixed used some aluminum tape

God only knows with these Props builders...

Thanks Roy! How I love the RPF!

Has anyone wondered how the prop guys line up the grips on these new Graflexs? Do they use guides? Or just eyeball them?

Roy would be the guy to ask that. He’s 3d modeled the graflex from screen shots

Roy, do you think they had a jig and put them all on in the same location or just threw them on OT style?

With my eye it looks like they are all spaced pretty evenly

Roy would be the guy to ask that. He’s 3d modeled the graflex from screen shots

Roy, do you think they had a jig and put them all on in the same location or just threw them on OT style?

With my eye it looks like they are all spaced pretty evenly

I recently asked one of the people in the prop department on all the Sequel films how the TFA/ TLJ grips were made and I was told, they were all cast resin from a machined master.
I always wondered whether there were little nubs on the bottom that would correspond to holes in the bottom tube, to prevent them slipping - I reckon I should ask him again about the attachment of the grips too!

I recently asked one of the people in the prop department on all the Sequel films how the TFA/ TLJ grips were made and I was told, they were all cast resin from a machined master.
I always wondered whether there were little nubs on the bottom that would correspond to holes in the bottom tube, to prevent them slipping - I reckon I should ask him again about the attachment of the grips too!

Your very lucky to have a connection to the film! Yes please ask if they used some kind of jig to align the grips.

They sure look perfect to me

I'm pretty sure these guys wouldn't make a guide for sticking six pieces of plastic to a tube. I would just create some pencil marks evenly spaced on the bottom and use that as a guide. No need for fancy time consuming tools! I'm sure they're precise enough to do that neatly. It's not the kind of question I'd ask. (That said: Laszlo, PM is still pending).

Resin! :eek I thought they were rubber!

So where does a guy get resin grips at?

I'm pretty sure these guys wouldn't make a guide for sticking six pieces of plastic to a tube. I would just create some pencil marks evenly spaced on the bottom and use that as a guide. No need for fancy time consuming tools! I'm sure they're precise enough to do that neatly. It's not the kind of question I'd ask. (That said: Laszlo, PM is still pending).

Ok well I won't waste my annoying questions with grip alignment ;). Roy, I'll wait for your thoughts before making contact again :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back