Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Well fellas, as with most things I request from Tony, I'm probably the first to order, the PG/ESB gear boxes and legs are on their way. Once they arrive I'll pull the hull piece and lay them on there and take and post pics...for those of you that are interested. I'm excited that I'm almost ready to start this build even though it's only a component of the larger Echo Base diorama, it will be the most involved component and certainly the center piece

I probably got well more than I need, not including engine lighting (will have on separate remote: optional) going to try to use the supplied stuff, or other LED's I already have...but...for landing lights, landing gear well lights, red headlights, entry ramp lights and the two reds for the side of the cockpit tube...I just spent 80 bucks! Chip LED's are more but I like the low flat profile and tiny wire they offer...comes in handy particularly with Bandai kits. As far as cockpit and gun wells, I think I've got enough other LED's and FO to cover it...I hope.
has anyone done the red "low clearance" lights on one of these? I got the Shapeways set of how ever many there are, and hoping a .50 or .75 FO stuck in them will do rather than LED each one. Any advisement on this is appreciated. Thanks guys :thumbsup

Here's the inside of mine, currently. And these are just for the landing lights, landing gears and ramp, and headlights. I'll be adding the red FO lighting tonight. I initially ordered .5mm FO, deemed it too small, then ordered .75mm, which I also deemed too small. SO, I got some 1mm that I'll be running tonight.

landing lights.JPG

SB

looks great man! Did you do single lamps for you landing gear? I did singles on my first MPC and found it needed 2 for each well. That's why I've been using the chips with the tiny wire. Not so much for the brightness, but to flood the well more front and rear. So I'm guessing you've tested the FO in the clearance lights already, and found the in fact a 1.0 FO is required to sufficiently light those little fixtures, yes? The only trouble I've had with 1.0 is of course it's stiffer and more difficult to route. but, if that's what it takes...I think I'm out of 1.0, will need to get some coming. I'd really like to see some pics after you run those, how many LED's you use and where you end up locating them.
Thanks SB, I appreciate you chiming in on it. I put it out there before and no one said anything...maybe we're the only ones doing it? On the MPC builds, 5 so far, I just ran the FO to holes I drilled and left it at that...BUT, this IS a spendy kit and with everything else being "PG", you got to do ALL of it right :lol:thumbsup
Here's the inside of mine, currently. And these are just for the landing lights, landing gears and ramp, and headlights. I'll be adding the red FO lighting tonight. I initially ordered .5mm FO, deemed it too small, then ordered .75mm, which I also deemed too small. SO, I got some 1mm that I'll be running tonight.

View attachment 837267

SB

Well, once I get the cockpit completed, I'll be moving on to the main hull... Do you guys have a good map of where the under hull lights go? I guess I need to get a bunch of those smd leds to use instead of running FO.

looks great man! Did you do single lamps for you landing gear? I did singles on my first MPC and found it needed 2 for each well. That's why I've been using the chips with the tiny wire. Not so much for the brightness, but to flood the well more front and rear. So I'm guessing you've tested the FO in the clearance lights already, and found the in fact a 1.0 FO is required to sufficiently light those little fixtures, yes? The only trouble I've had with 1.0 is of course it's stiffer and more difficult to route. but, if that's what it takes...I think I'm out of 1.0, will need to get some coming. I'd really like to see some pics after you run those, how many LED's you use and where you end up locating them.
Thanks SB, I appreciate you chiming in on it. I put it out there before and no one said anything...maybe we're the only ones doing it? On the MPC builds, 5 so far, I just ran the FO to holes I drilled and left it at that...BUT, this IS a spendy kit and with everything else being "PG", you got to do ALL of it right :lol:thumbsup

I hadn't thought of doing two LEDs in each gear bay, but that's a good point. I can do a test and see which I like better. So far I've just used 3mm bright white LEDs I found on eBay. 18 around the underside for the landing lights, two for the headlights, two in the cockpit, two for the ramp, and one in each gear bay (although that may change). I also found a 5mm red LED on eBay that I'm planning on routing all of the FO to. I'm excited to see how that looks.

Here's a shot of the underside with the lights on. Yes, yes, I know I kind of botched the placement of the second and third light on the cockpit side. They're not evenly spaced. I know, I know. blah blah blah. I'm over being so precious with it.

falcon lights.JPG

SB

EDIT: Here's the diagram I used for my lighting. I printed it 1:1 and still messed up on some of the placement haha

thumbnail.jpeg

Hey man, you won't get any criticism from me, I like what you're doing. And even though I'd lit the crap out of 5 MPC's, none are the same. I kept doing more and more on each successive build. had you thought about landing lights at the tip of the mandibles? I hadn't seen a lot of images with them, but I did see a couple so on the last 2 I ran one up there as well. Just a thought. Well, I was going to insert a pic of my last MPC, but this thing is stuck...again. I gotta refresh the page first :facepalm
I hadn't thought of doing two LEDs in each gear bay, but that's a good point. I can do a test and see which I like better. So far I've just used 3mm bright white LEDs I found on eBay. 18 around the underside for the landing lights, two for the headlights, two in the cockpit, two for the ramp, and one in each gear bay (although that may change). I also found a 5mm red LED on eBay that I'm planning on routing all of the FO to. I'm excited to see how that looks.

Here's a shot of the underside with the lights on. Yes, yes, I know I kind of botched the placement of the second and third light on the cockpit side. They're not evenly spaced. I know, I know. blah blah blah. I'm over being so precious with it.

View attachment 837278

SB

- - - Updated - - -

f5-7.JPGI went so far as to put one at the very rear :lol I love lights...if I can't light a model, I'm not interested in building it :lol

Huh...I found a light placement image a while back that I've been using, but it's different than yours...I bet the one I have is goofy, yours looks more "official" QUOTE=StevenBills;4509174]I hadn't thought of doing two LEDs in each gear bay, but that's a good point. I can do a test and see which I like better. So far I've just used 3mm bright white LEDs I found on eBay. 18 around the underside for the landing lights, two for the headlights, two in the cockpit, two for the ramp, and one in each gear bay (although that may change). I also found a 5mm red LED on eBay that I'm planning on routing all of the FO to. I'm excited to see how that looks.

View attachment 837278

SB

EDIT: Here's the diagram I used for my lighting. I printed it 1:1 and still messed up on some of the placement haha

View attachment 837283[/QUOTE]

LOL...don't give me that crap, you know what you're doing :lol we all have a things we know and things we don't. We share, learn and the best part is we're all friends and that's why we're here, that's why I'm here, and I dig the h3ll out of it!! You guys are awesome :thumbsup
Without you guys I'd be lost! Amazing help and support...

- - - Updated - - -

You know what...I never knew there were light positions on those rear cargo bay doors...that will be a first for me. Can't wait to dive into this one :thumbsup

View attachment 837278

SB

View attachment 837283

Yes, I think that comes from the Haynes manual illustration. I didn't add those because that's where my battery packs are going. I also didn't add the last four lights that go around the back of the Falcon because that would have interfered with the engine lighting that I'm doing. And don't take that illustration as gospel. I don't remember where I dug it up from, but it seemed good enough for my uses.

SB

That's great point...battery and engine lighting considerations...I'll have to look at that. I think the chip LED's would clear that, they're pretty much flat and the wires come off it flat rather than sticking up like a conventional LED and the wires are super thin. You could make a really shallow can, install the chips and lay another piece of evergreen over the top of the chips to keep them separated from whatever else you do in that area. at most I think you'd need 1/4 inch.
Yes, I think that comes from the Haynes manual illustration. I didn't add those because that's where my battery packs are going. I also didn't add the last four lights that go around the back of the Falcon because that would have interfered with the engine lighting that I'm doing. And don't take that illustration as gospel. I don't remember where I dug it up from, but it seemed good enough for my uses.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

on the other hand, there's so many other landing lights...you probably wouldn't need them, but the same method could be applied to the furthest rear ones perhaps...

Chip, nano and pico LED's are the poop, they take up next to no space at all. I fully lit a Bandai 1/72 Xwing with them. I put 2mm regular LED's in the 4 engines, but the cockpit and landing gear lighting would not have been possible without the others. They're a bit more money but allow you to places with lighting that before was otherwise impossible.
I get mine from https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

My main thing with the lights is making them recessed into the cans, similar to the full-size set. For that reason, I've used some 3mm diameter nylon standoffs that I plug my LEDs into, which I then glue on the inside of the hull, like this:

standoffs1.JPG

standoffs2.JPG

Gives it a cool effect, but doing it this way wouldn't permit them to be in the back. BUT, there are a hundred ways to skin this cat, and this way is by no means the best.

SB

That's about the same thing I did, I'd take Bic click pen tubes and chop them up to make the cans. But in tighter areas more crafty methods are required for sure. You could use chips or nano back there and your wires will lay flat on the surface of the plastic, then just cut a tube for the cans no taller than you absolutely need. just a thought :thumbsup
My main thing with the lights is making them recessed into the cans, similar to the full-size set. For that reason, I've used some 3mm diameter nylon standoffs that I plug my LEDs into, which I then glue on the inside of the hull, like this:

View attachment 837337

View attachment 837338

Gives it a cool effect, but doing it this way wouldn't permit them to be in the back. BUT, there are a hundred ways to skin this cat, and this way is by no means the best.

SB

Gentlemen, and ladies if there are any...I present to you Tony's 308 Bits ESB landing gear bays for thr Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon. I have yet to do the mods to the wells and shave the molded greeblies, let alone even start the build, but I thought you'd all like to see what or benevolent genius Tony has done for us (ESB fans anyway) The shadows in the images look as thought there are gaps, but i asure you, these dude fit Fing perfect!PG bays1.jpegPG bays2.jpegPG bays3.jpegPG bays4.jpeg

Gentlemen, and ladies if there are any...I present to you Tony's 308 Bits ESB landing gear bays for thr Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon. I have yet to do the mods to the wells and shave the molded greeblies, let alone even start the build, but I thought you'd all like to see what or benevolent genius Tony has done for us (ESB fans anyway) The shadows in the images look as thought there are gaps, but i asure you, these dude fit Fing perfect!View attachment 837630View attachment 837631View attachment 837632View attachment 837633

So that looks awesome! I'm certain I'll be ordering a set before I start my second PG Falcon...
My only concern (and it may just be a trick of the camera) is that these look possibly too wide?
I mean...they should sit pretty close to the jaw box, but the outer gear box wall should be in line with the outer wall of the rear boxes...right? Wrong? Am I looking at this too hard, and should go to bed?
I'm super pumped to have these gear boxes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back