Ready Player One

I saw it opening night. I loved it, it brought most everything I wanted. The movie is fun and enjoyable. There are easter eggs packed into every scene. The references that were done up front were handled well.

The villains are a bit cartoon like, and so are the "sidekicks". To me this is just another throwback to all those 80's/90's Karate movies, such as Ninja Turtles, Karate Kid, and 3 Ninjas.

Yes, the book is better/longer/more detailed. Make sure and read/listen to it if you haven't already.

Just saw it. Overall enjoyed it, but it fell short of it's potential. This had the potential to be a great trilogy. Putting this entire story into one movie made it feel crammed. A lot of exposition to establish everything, not a lot of time to get to know the characters. With that said it's not bad, there were many moments/scenes that I loved. The comedy, visual style, and characters felt very true to the book. Already planning on making a parzival costume.

Following your thread, some of the details of his costume are hard to catch but with time there will be enough people doing the same for us to follow in each other's footsteps. I hope a few figures and statues appear online or in stores that show more detail.

Granted, it's not without its issues, but overall I really enjoyed it. I simply look at the book and the movie as different versions of a similar story. Each works well on their own.

Funny story: over the holiday weekend my in-laws were in town. As my father-in-law and I were walking back to my six year old's room to get him for dinner, he asked me to tell him about the movie. I had kind of a rough time explaining it to him. When we got to my son's room, he was having an epic battle with his action figures. The fight consisted of Darth Vader, Thor, Master Chief, a Transformer, Snoopy a vintage Jack Slater from the Last Action Hero. I turned to my father in-law and said, "It was a lot like that." :lol

Three more days until I check this, and except for the trailer I know nothing about it. But I just got curious, as I saw a image of the Funko Pop's. Is this a Han Solo blaster in Parzivals hand ? The holster looks like Solos

Three more days until I check this, and except for the trailer I know nothing about it. But I just got curious, as I saw a image of the Funko Pop's. Is this a Han Solo blaster in Parzivals hand ? The holster looks like Solos

Parzival rocks a Han Solo holster with a Thundercats lion logo in the belt buckle. However, I didn't see him use the Han Solo blaster in the film (but there is one sequence that has him moving so much, it's hard to tell what blasters he's using).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Funko released a set of "lifelike" action figures where Parzival wields Robocop's Auto-9 (Fig. 1), You always lose a lotta detail with the Funko POP series, (check his belt) but I believe it to be an attempt at the same. (Fig. 2)

Fig. 1
funko_ready-player-one_actionfigures_keys_newyork_toyfair.jpg

Fig. 2
26916_RPO_Parzival_GLAM.png

Funko released a set of "lifelike" action figures where Parzival wields Robocop's Auto-9 (Fig. 1), You always lose a lotta detail with the Funko POP series, (check his belt) but I believe it to be an attempt at the same. (Fig. 2)

Fig. 1
View attachment 807402

Fig. 2
View attachment 807401

True, but the thing is that he's not seen using RoboCop's gun in the film either (unless it's in that one sequence I mentioned where he was moving too much to get a clear look at the blasters he's using). I did see what appeared to be the StarLyte blaster from LazerTag and during the bug battle, he is seen using the TOS Battlestar Galactica Colonial Blaster (amongst other weapons).

In fact, the Pop figure looks like he's using the Colonial Blaster.

True, but the thing is that he's not seen using RoboCop's gun in the film either (unless it's in that one sequence I mentioned where he was moving too much to get a clear look at the blasters he's using). I did see what appeared to be the StarLyte blaster from LazerTag and during the bug battle, he is seen using the TOS Battlestar Galactica Colonial Blaster (amongst other weapons).

In fact, the Pop figure looks like he's using the Colonial Blaster.

I totally forgot about the OG Colonial Blaster! I've been watching the reboot recently. I'd have to say you're correct there. I'm headed to watch it again on Sunday so i'll be working on the Epic Battle and seeing what I can. on a side note I've been working on 3D modeling a Glaive casting blank because I was legit shaking when I saw it. There will be an all brass one. it will be mine.

Oh yes, It will be mine!

just saw it and while I think its not the best Spielberg movie, I think its a nice popcorn flick with even a deeper message at the end. If someone who knows nothing about, asks me what its like, I would simply describe it as a nice combination of Matrix and Tron full with almost every big popculture reference of the 80's til now you can think of.

As for me, being a DeLorean jerk since BTTF day 1, I was goosebumbed and close to tears during the "First Quest" sequence :) :)

Only thing I am curious about, why is there always a battle for license right among some studios when this movie can almost use everything through movie/game/pop culture history ? Or did they have to pay a fortune to use Robocop, Freddy, Jason, Chucky, ID4, Galactica, Aliens, Serenity, multible DC and Marvel chars, BTTF, Akira, Street Fighter, Tekken, Halo, HelloKitty, Sonic, Lara Croft, Shinning, Godzilla, BattleTech, Final Fantasy, Gundam, Star Trek........

Only thing I am curious about, why is there always a battle for license right among some studios when this movie can almost use everything through movie/game/pop culture history ? Or did they have to pay a fortune to use Robocop, Freddy, Jason, Chucky, ID4, Galactica, Aliens, Serenity, multible DC and Marvel chars, BTTF, Akira, Street Fighter, Tekken, Halo, HelloKitty, Sonic, Lara Croft, Shinning, Godzilla, BattleTech, Final Fantasy, Gundam, Star Trek........

I don't know the answer, but my guess is that Spielberg is a favor everyone wants owed to them. He has a lot to offer in exchange that others don't.

Pretty good movie visually and even though the changes from the book are obvious but they don't spoil it. They are changes that have to be made so it translates well on to screen.

The comedy in the film is charming and not over the top. It fits in well with the film.

The visuals are awesome. There are so many Easter eggs and references from pop culture it's unbelievable that they managed to add so many. It'll take a long time to spot them all.

Overall I'd say this film is definitely worth a watch.

-------
Ad:
If u have some time, check this: Księgowa Kraków

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally saw this, had a lot of fun!

The big question is, since much of that fun is just reveling in the geek references, would it stand on its own without them (using made-up generic ones instead)?

It's a fair question, but I think it would. But the easter eggs add a substantial extra level to be sure.

Have not read the book, so there's that.

And I am VERY glad I didn't see it with a chatty fellow geek who would want to call out all the references on the fly. SHUT UP, we'll go back through it later!

Finally saw this, had a lot of fun!

The big question is, since much of that fun is just reveling in the geek references, would it stand on its own without them (using made-up generic ones instead)?

It's a fair question, but I think it would. But the easter eggs add a substantial extra level to be sure.

Have not read the book, so there's that.

And I am VERY glad I didn't see it with a chatty fellow geek who would want to call out all the references on the fly. SHUT UP, we'll go back through it later!

It could, but you'd end up spending more time explaining the made-up generic ones unless they were something already base on something similar (I.e. The T. Rex, which basically everyone knows because it's a dinosaur). But if it's not, then everyone would mistake avatars that are meant to be based on generic in-world creations as original avatars like Wade and company's instead (unless they specifically state that and they have a clip from said fake show/movie/comic/book/video game). Honestly, it's just better and less of a headache to just have it be with pre-existing pop culture than to add about another 30 minutes of runtime with generic made up in-world fiction and having to explain them).

You wouldn't have to explain them. But we're in agreement it's better this way!

And you note you haven't read the book - I would recommend it it if you have time, as it is a fun fast read, especially if you grew up in the last part of the 1970s/early 1980s. But, compared to the book, the film is actually restrained in the pop culture references. Sometimes the book got to be a bit exhausting with all of the references. His second book, Armada - a tribute-bordering-on-ripoff of The Last Starfighter - was even a bit worse, cramming pop culture references into dialogue so often the you'd find yourself going "even at sci-fi conventions, people just don't talk like this."

M

And you note you haven't read the book - I would recommend it it if you have time, as it is a fun fast read, especially if you grew up in the last part of the 1970s/early 1980s. But, compared to the book, the film is actually restrained in the pop culture references. Sometimes the book got to be a bit exhausting with all of the references. His second book, Armada - a tribute-bordering-on-ripoff of The Last Starfighter - was even a bit worse, cramming pop culture references into dialogue so often the you'd find yourself going "even at sci-fi conventions, people just don't talk like this."

M

To me, I think of Armada as being written by someone in the RPO universe, trying to tap into the resurgence of 1980s nostalgia due to the Egg Hunt. I barely helps. XD

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back