James Gunn fired from GOTG 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patton Oswalt Is an Excellent Twitter Troll
Here is the entire series of "offensive" tweets by Patton Oswalt from 2013.

Funny, I guess - but an awful way to get his message across because, as Solo4114 noted, it's too easy to cherry-pick and paint a false picture of his message and intent. Unfortunately, that's a real risk in a world where so many refuse to dig deeper and acknowledge context.

M

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its a joke thats been made a lot in the past couple years, but after reading the last couple pages of this thread, I am convinced we really are headed into a future just like the movie Idiocracy at this point.

I'm not butt hurt and I lack the sopistication to even pretend to know what virture signaling is and have zero desire to waste time looking it up.

Terrorism is ILLEGAL and mostly based on violence, even the intimidation part is based on the premise of violence

Comparing something like this to terrorizm, or claiming someone is like Hitler or a Nazi, or that an event is like "Pearl Harbor" or "911 all over again" is nothing more the over the top hyperbole that does nothing to advance the conversation.
I agree they're not even remotely comparable.

It's true that nowadays it seems a lot of people are freely abusing terms like "Nazi" or "911 all over again." It's a good point to bring up. Abusing those terms I fear will only serve to lessen the gravity of those things in the future and they will lose their meaning. As I stated before, I wasn't equating these events with "terrorism" but, in today's climate, I can see where you would be more sensitive to that possibility. Point taken.

FWIW. I don't actually believe your buttocks are in pain. Cheers.

Funny, I guess - but an awful way to get his message across because, as @Solo4114 noted, it's too easy to cherry-pick and paint a false picture of his message and intent. Unfortunately, that's a real risk in a world where so many refuse to dig deeper and acknowledge context.

M

It was an exercise with a purpose and he proved his point. You have to keep in mind the limitations of the platform at that time. You were limited to 140 characters and if you wanted to thread you had to manually indicate that it was a series of tweets meant to be taken as a whole. It was still quite a while after that that Twitter expanded their character limit and made the ability to thread easier and more clear.

Funny, I guess - but an awful way to get his message across because, as @Solo4114 noted, it's too easy to cherry-pick and paint a false picture of his message and intent. Unfortunately, that's a real risk in a world where so many refuse to dig deeper and acknowledge context.
Totally and it's already happening. Some of the people have realized the context when it was brought to their attention, but will still continue to retweet the single tweets. Anything to get him humiliated and blacklisted perhaps, while feeling good about themselves.

This is a new form of hive mind attack which is really effective on Twitter and not possible on other social media platforms. And these series of incidents and many more like it will eventually lead people from all over (not just entertainment industry) to quit the platform for good.

Last edited by a moderator:

M
Yep.

A good example of a joke inexplicably pulled out of context is what happened to Count Dankula (Mark Meechan) and his YouTube prank. I get the joke. Everyone else seems to get the joke. The courts in Scotland saw otherwise and sentenced him for commission of a "hate crime".

You'll note that "terrorism" is in quotes. It was referenced to parallel the principle of acquiescence to threat. Cernovich has chosen Disney as a publicly visible target in order to intimidate celebrities from being openly critical of the president. Sacking Gunn is only positive feedback for him and only encourages him to double his efforts. Evidently this is exactly what is happening. Whether or not there's tractionable material about Silverman or Oswalt is not the point. The point is that Disney will have to draw the line in the sand somewhere. If Cernovich or folks inspired by him continue to dig there's always going to be something you can find about someone that can be exploited.

True, this does encourage pitch fork sales, but there's another element: pitch fork sales were already strong, and Ironically: Gunn himself has been a heavy investor.

There's now two ways it can go. 1: Now everyone will just go strait to pitch forks. Both sides. Say the wrong thing or something that resembles the wrong thing and you're done. No unauthorized thought. We know we have the power to destroy if we can get a big enough mob.

or 2: people start realizing that empowering pitch fork justice is not smart, because eventually the mob WILL come for you.

It makes me sad, but....the safe bet is on option 1. Pitch fork justice is going to get worse. WAY worse, before it gets better.

edit: I'm not defending anyone or anything anyone has said. Feel free to continue hating whoever you want. I'm not challenging your right to hate.

But It's pretty clear that the tweets aren't what got him fired. The tweets were around for years. It's the fact that it's in the news now. Disney was smart, they don't need that bad publicity, but it was the publicity and not the act itself that was the catalyst.

And to a degree, this cherry picking is also what has happened to Gunn.

Granted, some of his tweets (regardless of intent) were flat out inexcusably offensive. However, many of the tweets he's being called out for were him creating fake retweets: Changing someone's quote to make it look like they said something offensive. Basically, a misguided attempt to be a mischievous prankster. But those are being used as though they are actual quotes of Gunn's.

its ironic and funny as hell seeing SJW tactics being used agiasnt SJW

another current prime example is Trevor Noah. He made a joke about Aboriginal women in 2013 in his stand up
And now he is getting backlash from that joke and the "sjw outrage mob" want his tour banned in Australia, even though he apologized for the joke.

The difference, of course, is that we NOW live in a culture where we expect people to be more careful about what they say and the jokes they make. Are the people like Trevor Noah or James Gunn continuing to try to employ the same "humor:" they were 10 or 15 years ago while hypocritically calling others out for it?

Or have they changed as people, and calling out others who refuse to change?

The world is eating itself and we're all suffering from indigestion.

its ironic and funny as hell seeing SJW tactics being used agiasnt SJW

another current prime example is Trevor Noah. He made a joke about Aboriginal women in 2013 in his stand up
And now he is getting backlash from that joke and the "sjw outrage mob" want his tour banned in Australia, even though he apologized for the joke.

MC is only using the same tactics the far left have been using for years

The difference, of course, is that we NOW live in a culture where we expect people to be more careful about what they say and the jokes they make. Are the people like Trevor Noah or James Gunn continuing to try to employ the same "humor:" they were 10 or 15 years ago while hypocritically calling others out for it?

Or have they changed as people, and calling out others who refuse to change?

people can change but they don't have to cause others were offended or their feelings were hurt by some jokes they told years ago or currently.

If you find some ones comedy or even opinions offended then ignore, boycott or go some where else.
I'm agiasnt censorship and reason I don't think James Gunn, Roseanne ,Dan Harmon, or Trevor Noah should lose any jobs for their type comedy.

And I'm into comedy and any type of comedy can be offensive whether its South Park to Howard Stern to Chris Rock to Gilbert Gottfried to Norm McDonald to Joan Rivers.
And I don't expect people to be more careful what they say cause I don't care. If some thing offensive or something I don't like, I just ignore and move on with my life..

but these are my opinions and of course I don't speak for everyone.

Last edited:
Now to sidetrack the torpic.... Is that a Brian Kessinger Avatar?

I believe it's Chris Wahl. I could be wrong though. I couldn't find definitive proof, so I figured if anyone ever comes along and tells me to change it I'll change it. I know I've seen it everywhere. T shirts, hoodies, towels...the usual money makers.

I believe it's Chris Wahl. I could be wrong though. I couldn't find definitive proof, so I figured if anyone ever comes along and tells me to change it I'll change it. I know I've seen it everywhere. T shirts, hoodies, towels...the usual money makers.
It might be Chris Wahl's... both do some cool and fun pictures. And don't sweat it, nobody will tell to change it. :thumbsup

I never get into discussions like this but here it goes :) First why did they not Vet Gunn in the first place? No one looked over his online presence? IF someone did and gave him the all clear then THAT person needs to be fired for not doing their job. The second thing is people can point fingers, say he has changed, lay the blame at the feet of people that did not like him, there is only ONE person who put Gunn in this predicament and that is James Gunn. If these tweets did not exist then there would have been nothing to get in trouble about. Plain and simple, use discretion when posting things online and be aware that the internets memory is FOREVER!

I never get into discussions like this but here it goes :) First why did they not Vet Gunn in the first place? No one looked over his online presence? IF someone did and gave him the all clear then THAT person needs to be fired for not doing their job. The second thing is people can point fingers, say he has changed, lay the blame at the feet of people that did not like him, there is only ONE person who put Gunn in this predicament and that is James Gunn. If these tweets did not exist then there would have been nothing to get in trouble about. Plain and simple, use discretion when posting things online and be aware that the internets memory is FOREVER!

Pretty much boils down to just that really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back