Defiance Props

Nolan's gun. a rubber one anyway. looks like it will fetch a grand or more. way out of my league

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I was able to snag the first Votan rifle that went up during the first week of auctions, great piece, one of the cleaner rifles offered, does not light though, but can easily be made to. I also won the Irisa spacesuit seen in the second season, another beautiful piece, the detail on this is amazing, and the back details light in a sequencing pattern of green, blue and red.

If anyone out there won the set of Datak knives let me know, looking to add one of those, I'm hoping they put up the hero knife soon.

I have good news and bad news for everyone. Good news, I won Nolan's gun at the auction and I do want to make replica's of it. Bad news I have no idea how to. When I bought it, the auction said it was made from rubber. I was thinking hockey puck they were talking nerf foot ball. I want to make copies with out destroying the original. Any idea's???

seriously? I would have thought hard rubber also. so you can squeeze this thing like a nerf ball? dam! I'm sure the guys here will have plenty of ideas...

It may be a little stiffer but not by much. I was little shocked. I really hope someone does have some idea's on this because I would really like to make the replicas for folks.

Congrats on winning the auction! It looks like a sweet prop.
I have made castings of rubber pieces like you are talking about before. It can be a bit scary, but as long as you are careful when removing the piece from the RTV, it usually does not cause any issues. Of course the parts I cast were a bit smaller than Nolan's gun, but if the prop is denser than say a Nerf ball, it should not be an issue.
Maybe put a general question about casting it outside of this thread for a larger audience, and those with greater casting knowledge than I can chime in.

Terry

I was able to snag the first Votan rifle that went up during the first week of auctions, great piece, one of the cleaner rifles offered, does not light though, but can easily be made to. I also won the Irisa spacesuit seen in the second season, another beautiful piece, the detail on this is amazing, and the back details light in a sequencing pattern of green, blue and red.

If anyone out there won the set of Datak knives let me know, looking to add one of those, I'm hoping they put up the hero knife soon.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/silverskyes402/silverskyes402016/IMG_1568_zps9a6iqhcz.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/silverskyes402/silverskyes402016/IMG_1569_zps0c0ba2ss.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/silverskyes402/silverskyes402016/IMG_1570_zpslz9fkrhk.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/silverskyes402/silverskyes402016/IMG_1574_zpsricmkuxd.jpg
I hope they get more of those rifles. I was watching one but I forgot about it and did not get any alerts that the auction was almost over. :angry I may have to settle for one of the pistols.

I would post it right here in this part of the board, since it is a general prop question.
RTV (room temperature vulcanization silicone) is the rubber that you make molds out of. It is a two part compound that you mix together and then pour or brush on to the original to make a mold out of. It is a bit pricey, depending on where you get it, but it makes perfect and precise molds of the original item.
And then you use the molds to make copies. :)
I take it that you have never molded or cast any props?

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if there happens to be any Doctor Yewll fans here, now you can save her clone from the tank! It's up for auction right now (comes with another Yewll lab coat). Would have put the link to it, but if my memory's correct, that would violate forum rules.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back