Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Mint Thermostat Found 04/06/21**

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research***LOCATED***

I sold my Snowtrooper costume over 10 years ago so I don't have that piece anymore. When they compared the blister pack to a displayed LFL costume it matched exactly from what we could see. Also, who did you talk to in reference to me and how do you know the piece is metal? What is the part you identified as being a match? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just sharing what others have discovered int he past. After all this is a site to share information.

I've been studying the snowtrooper costume for 9 years. I've stared at the disc extensively, more than I care to admit have spent my life on. To add, the fact is that the leftover discs that remain in the Lucasfilm archives were indeed metal per several sources who've had access between working for Anovos and other's who've had the privilege of visiting that had the opportunity to physically handle them. And they also confirmed stamped lettering on the backside of these pieces.

The last thing to take into consideration then is where do the 4 discs I found in a South African used appliance shop originate from, which are100% identical to the screen used discs, right down to the indented knotch on the side of the main body? Given how especially unique the design is and how immensely rare it is, I have no doubt what I located to be anything but.

Which appliance is this used from? Stove, refrigerator, oven? Do you have a make/model number?

Which appliance is this used from? Stove, refrigerator, oven? Do you have a make/model number?

Considering that he has the disc on the way, I would assume he has all of the above. It's up to him whether he wants to disclose it though and it's within his right to say no considering all of the time and research he's put into it....

I sold my Snowtrooper costume over 10 years ago so I don't have that piece anymore. When they compared the blister pack to a displayed LFL costume it matched exactly from what we could see. Also, who did you talk to in reference to me and how do you know the piece is metal? What is the part you identified as being a match? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just sharing what others have discovered int he past. After all this is a site to share information.

How about some pictures of you Snowie, the disc must be visible on some of them? maybe some of you friends still have snowies with that disc?

Last edited:

I found the auction he got the disk from when doing my own research. It doesn't really have any new info. Not sure if I can share it, though.

Considering that he has the disc on the way, I would assume he has all of the above. It's up to him whether he wants to disclose it though and it's within his right to say no considering all of the time and research he's put into it....

I'm still committed to my earlier comments to disclose everything I learn and have learned but right now it wouldn't be worth the effort. I wish I could say more but the reality is that I don't have much of the other information yet. I will also say that even when I do/if I learn the specifics- it is not a guarantee for me or anyone here that you will be able to locate more. I hope that's not the case but it's something to consider. Those people searching for original parts should understand that just because you know exactly what something is, does not mean that you're going to be able to find it.

Luuke, the piece on your (I'm guessing High Impact Costuming Group) suit was just vacformed over some washers and epoxy putty Mat put together. ;)

The mold was made back when the 501st only had about a dozen members.

Luuke, the piece on your (I'm guessing High Impact Costuming Group) suit was just vacformed over some washers and epoxy putty Mat put together. ;)

The mold was made back when the 501st only had about a dozen members.

At the time we did my snow armor, the blister pack piece is what Matt told me he got them from and when he showed me the reference pics, it looked pretty dead accurate to me. So I was going by his word. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

tubachris85x: There is an appliance repair shop not too far from where I live. This guy has been able to find pretty much anything. One time a buddy of mine and I were walking up to his shop and from the parking lot he could see the part we wanted to replace and had a new one on the counter before we walked in. I'll take a picture to him and see if he can identify it in some way. Maybe he has a source on where to get a bunch of them. Who knows, worth a try.

And just FYI to everyone else, I have no stake in the outcome of this. I don't need the part nor am I looking to make money off it. I'm just doing my part as a member of this community to help others where I see I can possibly do so. That's kinda what this community is about.

Mat may have upgraded, never mentioned it to me. (shrug)

The last time I pulled a suit was at Robin's about 12+ years ago and it was the old mold, Mat may have had another one.
IIRC most if not all the molds when to Robin when Mat moved to SD.
I haven't seen any of them in the last 8 or so years since the DZC Alien shoot.

Anyway, back on topic.
Glad to see this piece finally IDed. :thumbsup

Sorta update. I was getting concerned that something happened to our contact in SA who picked these up. He finally responded the other day, saying things have been crazy for him, and that he would ship them out this week. No follow up yet, but I really hope there is. We've been waiting for far too long.

They're here :)

I will follow up when I get more research done

received_1959809844052639.jpeg

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research***ON HAND!!!***

I'll be posting more pics this week. I'll have mine on Wednesday

Great! I feel there must be an interesting story about dealing with paying, shipping while getting these passed through multiple hands. I can't wait to hear about it once they are secure.

Unfortunately it's nothing exciting lol

I mean, these were sold in a listing for what most would amount to a junk parts sale. Guy in south Africa picked them up for us but he didn't send them out for about 3 months after. Got a hold of him last week and he got them right out and they arrived at RS Props yesterday. I wish I could say it was more dramatic but it honestly wasn't. :/

I'm just glad the hunt is over. I hated spending all those hours scouring the internet

I'm just glad the hunt is over. I hated spending all those hours scouring the internet

Like me with the Merr-Sonn scope:

Merrsonn44-2_zps48b37339.jpg

From the profile photos of the Model 44 and Power 5 versions, and from Chris Trevas' description of what the end looks like, it's a 4-pin CB/ham radio style plug... But I've never found one like this. Even ones that have the metal shield around the plastic plug (the prop is just spray-painted black). All have the threaded collar to lock the plug in place. All have the cord start coiling without the "kink" to make the whole thing linear, so the cord coils off at right angles (ish) to the plug. I've looked everywhere I can think of, online and off. I've pestered older guys into vintage eloctronics. I've gone through every use of this style of plug I've been able to find, from the time the design was patented on...

And, like the Snowtrooper belt buckle disc, we know it was 99% probably just some random, cheap, off-the-shelf part that got plundered along with everything else in the shop to go into the prop department's grab bin, and no one even thought once about it -- let alone twice.

Not at all! It's been a really exciting thread all the way, and I'm really looking forward to getting some more pics and possibly a few more hints on where to look for these little gems.

Unfortunately it's nothing exciting lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back