Halliwax's Starkiller V2 tutorial

Danny, that looks superb! Thank you for your tutorial; now I feel ready to finally weather mine as well! I recently exhibited mine, but painted like new. I really felt like I was cheating!! LOL.

Roy
www.wannawanga.com

thank you very much roy! again this couldn't have happened without you! i love your clamp lever. i tend to purchase extra parts of yours just to collect. they are truly works of art!! your products are the best of the best, i can't wait for your TFA kit! again, i am so happy to be excepted

- - - Updated - - -

Danny, your V2 looks awesome, man! And your process and documentation are also superb. Very very helpful, man.

Great work man! Superb documentation too, You truly have an amazing saber in your hands now :)

coming from you guys this means allot! Andy i learned how to document projects from you! you did a amazing job with the yoda saber, documenting everything. it helped me out so much, i learned from the best!!

Tom you too! your great at going into depth about how you achieved your goal. all of you contributed to my project, whether it was shared photos, advice, making parts, linking me to my answers. i seriously thank you

Danny, great job man. What a fully detailed tutorial ! I look forward to when you begin your astromech builders log. Great job on the saber. You can definitely see the love you have for these. It shows in your work.

i have been collecting parts for R2 for 2 years now... i should have started a thread 2 years ago. but i haven't really built or assembled anything yet, i have the book shelfs behind my bench full of boxes. i have a 12ft long, 34" deep closet in my bed room, it has 2 sets of twin doors, the set to the right is FULL of brown boxes of parts.. i am coming close to the end of parts collecting. just a PSI mounts, and electronics and i can build the dome. 2 years is a long time looking at these boxes of parts, i can't wait to build something and have something to show for after this long wait...

Hey, amazing work. This makes my life a lot easier.

Thanks
Dan

Dan, thanks so much for tackling this run. i know it can't be easy. you are a true artist, consider me a HUGE fan. from here on out i want to try and grab every saber you produce, this thing is a beauty and i love how it was built like the screen used one with spinning top. thank you for everything!

You get a standing ovation from me, man! I will be consulting this thread when I begin the weathering & painting of mine. Thank you SO much!

thank you very much! what i love about this site is the community. these guys ( and gals) on here have no problem sharing information. some sites dont want to share a thing (especially the drag racing clubs i belong to) I am so welcomed here i forgot that some internet clubs can be friendly!

if it wasn't for this community with all its members, the parts runners, the electronic guru's, the saber smiths, the historians... what would we be? i love how we all come together and make it happen, thats what i love about this saber too. when explaining to my mom (she's my biggest fan) i explained how each part was made by someone else, and that someone could be located on the other side of the world!

thats one of my favorite things about collecting props, the story telling. telling people which part was made by whom, what its original purpose was... this saber project had alot of people involved to make it work. mom and dad were amazed there was a place online where all these fans come together and make it happen. and she even told me, i should be very thankful for all those people who put all the work into making this happen. and i truly am thankful, i look forward to the next project!!

Great tutorial, the clamp turned out awesome! I will definitely be using that method when my clamp comes in!

Oh là là! Great tutorial. Now I feel totally comfortable tackling my own...

That clamp! I must say, your saber turned out nicely. Kudos!

thanks guys! i can't take the vinegar trick credit. my father builds race cars for a living. i have always been into the car scene. there is a group of guys my father is friendly with that have rat rods. (not our thing) they take cars and make them rusty and dirty. they are the ones who told me about the chrome trick and how to "screw it up". they told me to start with vinegar. if that didnt do it to move on to a chemical that is known for cleaning cement... i forgot the name but i have it written down. its very corrosive. they fill storage totes with this chemical and will put a cement block in the middle so its out of the liquid and then put the parts on that, seal the tote and let the fumes eat at the aluminum,stainless or brass part they want weathered.

other friends take airstream trailers and weather them, they use a paint roller and roll this stuff on the aluminum paneling turning it all kinds of nasty weathering colors, its a pretty cool technique.

the vinegar worked for me, i didnt want to try the stuff they used, that stuff will eat through a buick LOL

glad i could be of assistance, this is what this site is all about, helping one another!

I will be starting work on my V2 very soon and was wondering which is best to darken it. Oven cleaner or drain cleaner? Also are they the ordinary household oven/drain cleaners that you can buy from the supermarket?

I will be starting work on my V2 very soon and was wondering which is best to darken it. Oven cleaner or drain cleaner? Also are they the ordinary household oven/drain cleaners that you can buy from the supermarket?

I didn't use drain cleaner so I can't help you with that :(

I know the oven clean worked fine for me. But if u use too much it will give the aluminum a orange tinge

Many other guys have used aluminum black to darken it and it comes out great.

I have another idea but havent proven it yet. If I ever get another V2 I'll put it to the test lol

Thanks buddy!! This thread came back from the dead at perfect starkiller timing! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny, I just read your thread. Thank you for such a detailed outline of all the steps you took to weather this. The final result is beautiful. Well done! This is one saber I need to get next and have the least amount of knowledge on so I’m studying up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Danny, I just read your thread. Thank you for such a detailed outline of all the steps you took to weather this. The final result is beautiful. Well done! This is one saber I need to get next and have the least amount of knowledge on so I’m studying up!!

Anytime buddy!! Glad my thread could help! I got some new things in the works I plan on doing with starkiller’s next run, so be on the look out!

Thanks for the kind words! May the force be with you ;)

I look forward to it!! I have a v2 version I bought in the mid 80s and have no idea who made it. I bought it pre-internet days (what a hard time to find good information back then- mail a check and hope you get your prop. Lol) I am anxious to have a screen accurate version someday so enjoying my research time. I appreciate everyone’s contributions on this site. Can’t wait to see what modifications you make next...[emoji106][emoji106]

I look forward to it!! I have a v2 version I bought in the mid 80s and have no idea who made it. I bought it pre-internet days (what a hard time to find good information back then- mail a check and hope you get your prop. Lol) I am anxious to have a screen accurate version someday so enjoying my research time. I appreciate everyone’s contributions on this site. Can’t wait to see what modifications you make next...[emoji106][emoji106]

Lets see that v2!

Well, this thread is amazing! I'm a brand spanking new member, and I just wanted to let you know that stumbling into this thread is what made me decide to sign up. So much knowledge and experience here on therpf, and all shared so generously. Great job on the saber. Very curious to see what you do with Starkiller's next run (I'm going to try to get in on that one too. It'll be my first!!).

See you around the boards.

Well, this thread is amazing! I'm a brand spanking new member, and I just wanted to let you know that stumbling into this thread is what made me decide to sign up. So much knowledge and experience here on therpf, and all shared so generously. Great job on the saber. Very curious to see what you do with Starkiller's next run (I'm going to try to get in on that one too. It'll be my first!!).

See you around the boards.

Thanks so much buddy! Welcome to this club! This community is great, very friendly and always willing to help. Your come to the right place!!

Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad you enjoyed this thread. I’ll be sure to do a updated thread when starkiller releases his new V2! I’m so excited for it!!!

Thanks again!

Sorry, my bad, I meant to say hero version. I’ve never owned the v2 but I want both for my collection so researching the two.

d6310d8d61342fc6db573e13f148ef84.jpg

This is the one I got 30 years ago and I don’t know who made it or remember how I found it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back