Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

Myself and NickyMabbs went to the BFI IMAX in London a few days ago to take a look at a pair of the original Mags that are going up for auction in a few days. We wasn't aware, but BFI were running an event on that day, so we couldn't access the prop display, but luckily, the security guard let us in to take a quick look at the Mags and grab a few pics. It's fair to say, the shoes have seen better days and they have had some (what looks to be pretty horrible) restoration work on them. It was still nice to see such an iconic shoe/movie prop in person though.
mag3.jpegmag4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a picture of the right shoe before and also was wondering why it had chunks out of it. Perhaps the type of rubber used for the soles?

Myself and @NickyMabbs went to the BFI IMAX in London a few days ago to take a look at a pair of the original Mags that are going up for auction in a few days. We wasn't aware, but BFI were running an event on that day, so we couldn't access the prop display, but luckily, the security guard let us in to take a quick look at the Mags and grab a few pics. It's fair to say, the shoes have seen better days and they have had some (what looks to be pretty horrible) restoration work on them. It was still nice to see such an iconic shoe/movie prop in person though.
View attachment 760011View attachment 760012

these are the pair thats not been looked after well, although its probably the foam itself on the outsole has detoriated due to age.

There is another pair in america thats immaculate in comparison. That other pair looks almost pristine aside from a few cracks in the sole.

Hi all! Been a while. I see the thread is still going strong!

I'm toying with the idea of getting some v3.1s. Are we in agreement that the sole EL wasn't upgraded and still breaks, but the bubble LEDs are much better? Do they hold up well with daily use? I seem to remember reading that you can add some hot glue or similar behind the panel to stop it shorting from the wire coming loose.

I also saw reference to a $399 price, but looks like $500 on the website..?

Hi all! Been a while. I see the thread is still going strong!

I'm toying with the idea of getting some v3.1s. Are we in agreement that the sole EL wasn't upgraded and still breaks, but the bubble LEDs are much better? Do they hold up well with daily use? I seem to remember reading that you can add some hot glue or similar behind the panel to stop it shorting from the wire coming loose.

I also saw reference to a $399 price, but looks like $500 on the website..?

Nope, EL will still break. If the EL holds up, the wires won't.

$399 was for run out of the old stock (bright LEDs) until sold out. $499 for the new stock (dim LEDs).

The soles come off easy with heat.

- - - Updated - - -

these are the pair thats not been looked after well, although its probably the foam itself on the outsole has detoriated due to age.

There is another pair in america thats immaculate in comparison. That other pair looks almost pristine aside from a few cracks in the sole.

Someone mentioned this pair might have just been thrown in a box.

That other pair was in much better shape and I think went for about $64K

- - - Updated - - -

I saw a picture of the right shoe before and also was wondering why it had chunks out of it. Perhaps the type of rubber used for the soles?

If the rubber really did break down, why only one side?

Does anyone on this thread live in Mississauga Ontario or Toronto or just the GTA in general? I want to know if anyone can help me replace the battery on my mags? Please let me know. Thank You
Contact StreetVeteran or AirMagMan2017 here or on Instagram he is from Toronto and get some parts for the shoe ;-)

Yeah wow. They look tired. Wonder why there are big chunks missing from the right shoe's sole?
My guess is that it is the prop that was attached to the Hoverboard with a screw ?

Just a little addition to @shoxxo 's post. Managed to get a few more photos today, they are horrendous! EL & LEDs have been replaced just so they can function, looks like both of the soles & heel-cups have been rebuilt & then totally repainted VERY poorly. The pattern looks as though they've been dotted with a brush & no longer have a splatter. I seem to remember Tiffany Beers talking about how they very accurately tried to replicate the movie splatter on the 2011s. There's glue everywhere, whether that was there before who knows???

I can't help thinking that as someone has boldly tried to restore them, they've blown away any history that goes with them. Any chance of pinpointing frames that they were in using distinguishing marks has been obliterated. I'm sure they were in a terrible state before this work & will still fetch a pretty penny now they've been rebuilt, but I'd rather have them in pieces than this condition. Looks like Stevie Wonder & Ray Charles were the restoration team...

IMG_8410.JPGIMG_8411.JPGIMG_8412.JPG

Does anyone know if the DVD label was matte or glossy?

NickyMabbs Hey, the messaging system on here is confusing as hell if you're on mobile. Did you get my messages?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little addition to @shoxxo 's post. Managed to get a few more photos today, they are horrendous! EL & LEDs have been replaced just so they can function, looks like both of the soles & heel-cups have been rebuilt & then totally repainted VERY poorly. The pattern looks as though they've been dotted with a brush & no longer have a splatter. I seem to remember Tiffany Beers talking about how they very accurately tried to replicate the movie splatter on the 2011s. There's glue everywhere, whether that was there before who knows???

I can't help thinking that as someone has boldly tried to restore them, they've blown away any history that goes with them. Any chance of pinpointing frames that they were in using distinguishing marks has been obliterated. I'm sure they were in a terrible state before this work & will still fetch a pretty penny now they've been rebuilt, but I'd rather have them in pieces than this condition. Looks like Stevie Wonder & Ray Charles were the restoration team...

View attachment 760355View attachment 760356View attachment 760357

typical time travel effect...

Does anyone know if the DVD label was matte or glossy?

@NickyMabbs Hey, the messaging system on here is confusing as hell if you're on mobile. Did you get my messages?

Hey buddy, will have a look now!

Also, while everyone is getting excited about the 'V3 PL', there's still two HUGE errors in my eyes that would prevent me buying another updated pair beyond the useless electronics.

The first being the material used for the upper, it's an age away from the material used for the 2011s & 2016s & even the original prop shoes, the factories really need to source a closer weave or even manufacture their own. Second is the shape of the toe box, still destroys the entire look of the shoe for me, especially on the smaller sizes. Granted, it's nowhere near as bad as the clumpy boot toe of the 2016 Mag, but it's still nowhere near as sleek & integrated as the 2011 version. It's much too curved & needs to taper out much more towards the soles.

In my eyes, these should be addressed way before a PL version is created, especially considering they've got about 18 different updates for the Yeezys.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back