Lightsaber Family Tree

Nice visual lay-out and chosen lightsaber pictures. Just one mention ... why does the TFA section have a main character as a background . . . while the other movies have just a background of a certain place where that particular lightsaber is seen or located during a battle on screen? Then I'd expect a background of the winter forest would be much more appropriate for TFA to use ... do you agree?

Chaim

I do-- it was totally a placeholder. I was trying to do it by color as each film has a very dominant color scheme, ANH is very brown/yellow, ESB is blue, Jedi is green-- but it was hard to find good static shots that weren't busy, were screengrabs, were the right color AND resolution. So I drifted a bit... ANH and TFA are placeholders. ANH is actually a shot from AOTC and TFA, like you point out, isn't fitting with the other choices.

It's on my list!

Here's where we're at...

Unsure if I like the duel images in the BG as opposed to the static environments. Too busy?

At this point, all I need is the Vader ROTJ hero. I have some great display pics of it-- but no screengrabs. I tried to necrobump the thread where @GINO said he spotted it-- but the image links are all dead...

Mid sized jpg here: clearer, higher res PDF below...

LS_tree_v3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yes-- I see the floaty triangle in TFA.. fixed it . :)

Attachments

• LS_tree_v3.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:
It's getting better and better! [emoji1]
But yeah, the lightsaber duels in the background is a but too much. I liked the sceneries better. And the red in ROTS is drawing A LOT of unnecessary attention [emoji6].

Perhaps by adding a grey layer of 50% over the backgrounds makes them less obvious and distracting from the lightsabers which will seem to become more apparent into the foreground ... that said I do like the pictures of the planets or places we witness lightsabers on screen a bit more pleasing to my eyes ;)

Chaim

Last edited:
This is getting really interesting. Such a great concept. My only input would be on the background for ESB; I think the green of the Dagobah Swamp would make for a better background than Hoth. I think Seth mentioned something about green and ESB earlier in the thread no?

Just my two cents, I realize at some point you'll have to finalize it and it's impossible to make everyone happy.

Cant wait to see it all come together!

A small data correction--the Anakin ROTS saber was technically inspired by the Luke ESB "Ranch"/Dagobah saber, rather than the Promo/Hero. Although, it could be argued that the Hero and the Ranch/Dagobah are one and the same.

A small data correction--the Anakin ROTS saber was technically inspired by the Luke ESB "Ranch"/Dagobah saber, rather than the Promo/Hero. Although, it could be argued that the Hero and the Ranch/Dagobah are one and the same.

Excellent point, the texture tape sure says that! And it's right above it.

Here's a question. Since the TFA graflex has the glass eye do you guys think there should be an additional call out from ANH to TFA? Or does it read as still being an evolution since you can follow the lines from ANH down to TFA via ESB?

And do we think that the ROTS influenced the TFA grips, or should I cut any connection from ROTS to TFA?

I may have blurred what my data represents. Should a given inspiration line imply ONLY a connection between the two points, or should we assume it relates to all point above in the stream? I did add a thread from the Obi-Wan ROTS to the Luke TFA because of the emitter.

And does that make any sense?

- - - Updated - - -

This is getting really interesting. Such a great concept. My only input would be on the background for ESB; I think the green of the Dagobah Swamp would make for a better background than Hoth. I think Seth mentioned something about green and ESB earlier in the thread no?

ESB's look was always very blue-- Jedi was more green. But I don't know that this conceit is totally doable. I used those for the border colors for the pics in each section. I'll try Dagobah and see how it looks!

Last edited:
I would suggest that you keep things clean by showing the most direct inspirations. Luke TFA is based on Luke ROTJ Hero. Anakin ROTS was based directly on the ESB Ranch, since that's the one they had on-hand to study. Rey TFA is a little murkier--they clearly did their homework, since the specific details more closely resemble the ESB Hero than the Ranch, so I'd say it would more properly be considered a descendant of the ESB Hero. The glass eye/ANH connection is a little shaky. I think they just didn't want to go to the trouble of finding more red buttons (especially vintage) to go full ESB. Saying that the TFA version was also inspired by ANH would be akin to saying that the ESB severed hand stunt was "inspired" by ANH because they didn't bother to swap out the glass eye for another red button, y'know?

That makes sense. It's still clear there's a connection between the ANH and ESB graflexes even without a direct line.

Almost there!
Just a little graphical remark, details really: can you leave a bit of space free of text on the edges? I'm planning on framing your poster and the movie titles are too close to the left. :)
And some more silly nitpicking: ANH has a white edge on the left, and TFA a black on the bottom.

IIRC, the "Resin MoM" saber has the raised control box plate which means it was cast from the "Cave Build" saber so the inspired line should be moved over.

Also what are thoughts on the Sail Barge Luke? It had screen time similar to the R2 Stunt.

Caught those :)
--- and I'm quick-cropping in the export-- there's full print bleed built into the full image. I still need to adjust for live area so I'll make sure there's space.

I THINK I found Gino's MPP hero ROTJ pic, but it's cropped so tight I'm not sure... the left image is ESB, the middle the discovered hero, so the right may be from ROTJ?

0590997.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IIRC, the "Resin MoM" saber has the raised control box plate which means it was cast from the "Cave Build" saber so the inspired line should be moved over.

Also what are thoughts on the Sail Barge Luke? It had screen time similar to the R2 Stunt.

Was the sail barge not one of the Yuma copies?

It's either a Yuma copy or a cast from the Shared Stunt. It appears that it could have a cast Graflex clamp including lever or this could just be the Yuma box. I don't know and I can't find the pics that prove it one way or the other.

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Last edited:
It's either a Yuma copy or a cast from the Shared Stunt. It appears that it could have a cast Graflex clamp including lever or this could just be the Yuma box. I don't know and I can't find the pics that prove it one way or the other.
I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

I was assuming it was a resin Yuma, hence marking the Yuma as a source of of copies. But it's seen enough I could add it.

I do believe the right image is from the Vader-with-Stormtroopers ESB publicity photo.

Well until Gino has something to sell and comes back to check his PMs, it'll have to do! ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back