Star Wars Themed Photo Backdrop / Set Piece build...

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_1937-2_zps30c2dc52.jpg

For our third annual outing at our local school gala, we've decided to build a backdrop so people can take some cooler photos with our costumed characters. I'll be building this along with Nick K, Blaxmyth and a couple other friends. SofaKing01 is going through his left-over box from his amazing Falcon Cockpit build to see if he can donate some greeblies. Nick K has already built a prototype maquette for us to work from:

IMG_5242-2_zps7515cb27.jpg

We're going for a generic OTSW look, a cross between Death Star and Falcon (which probably produces something along the lines of the Death Star "Command Office").

I'll post updates as we go... this doesn't need to be finished until early February 2014, so we'll be taking our time.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Blaxmyth, Nick K and I have finally started the full-scale work on this. Our deadline is the 1st of March, so updates should be regular now. We decided to go with a Mos Eisley theme for a few reasons; it won't have to be as flawless as a Death Star backdrop, it'll look better with the natural outdoor lighting and it'll work better with a broader range of characters. We'll be basing it loosely on this shot from ANH:

mos-eisley-set_zps487c122e.jpg

We started with four sheets of ply and a bunch of 2x4s, cut and primed, using the best child labor we could afford:

gala-set1_zpsfdc427bf.jpg

Next weekend, we'll cut the door and start spackling the texture onto the walls...

Attachments

• mos-eisley-set_zps487c122e.jpg
    mos-eisley-set_zps487c122e.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 417
  • gala-set1_zpsfdc427bf.jpg
    gala-set1_zpsfdc427bf.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:
Got some more work done...

We traced the door from a screen grab and projected it old-school onto our ply sheet:

sw-set-build1_zps9450fc85.jpg

sw-set-build2_zps564146c3.jpg

sw-set-build3_zps15e3ddf8.jpg

Also found this great old button for a few bucks for the door panel:

sw-set-button_zpsafcfeb81.jpg

Not sure if I want to repaint it or leave it as-is...

Great work, guys! I've just had (another) great idea for sealing the surface - I know this old fella who's got quite a bit of polyester resin in his shed - about 15 litres last time I checked. Might do the trick?

Making progress with cutting out the bevelled styrofoam strips for around the inside of the door.

Bodged up this foam cutter with a 12V power supply, a garage sale saw table, a length of nichrome wire from an old clothes dryer, a spring to tension the wire - stretched between a shed rafter and a work table - plus a temporarily-glued cradle to hold the foam bits. Total cost - zero dollars.

Foam Cutter (6).JPG Foam Cutter (4).JPG Foam Cutter (2).JPG Foam Cutter (3).JPG

Just about there - waiting on a bit more foam packing, but on track to meet Indy's deadline in 3 1/2 weeks. (He works us hard... :()

Last edited:
...but on track to meet Indy's deadline in 3 1/2 weeks. (He works us hard... :()

And you thought they called me Indy because of the hat... it's the whip!
New-Whip.gif

We did some more work on the door today: filling in the spaces with bondo and sanding...

sw-set-door2_zpsda72546c.jpg

sw-set-door3_zpsd109723e.jpg

And from the second unit, we've been experimenting with mixing sand and polyester resin as a way of creating the stucco/adobe effect for the walls.

Tried sprinkling dry iron-sand onto a thin coating of resin and mixing sand with the resin and spreading it out like plaster. Both worked really well, but the resin with sand sprinkled over it was easier, quicker and covered more area for less resin. Much better than our first attempt with drywall plaster.

Think we've found our wall covering!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back