RX-78 NT1 Alex Gundam build WIP

amedcalf

Hi All,

Thought that I would start my thread on my build.

Started with the helmet and it kinda turned out massive lol

Head 1.jpg

Oh well, time to rescale and build again. I'm only building this in pep to get the scale and feel of the size so doesn't really matter how many times I have to remake it lol.

I have a model kit to build that will also help me with the full build :D

rx78  bandai.jpg

For the most part I will be using Clive Lee's tutorial to help me with the build along with pep and a lot of trial and error. This is going to be a long build process. For the most part this will be made out of cardboard.

I would like to say a big thank you to stigmorgan for the pep file's and ironmaided for his help and encouragement so far.

I will keep you updated wit the progress even though it may be slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Thought that I would start my thread on my build.

Started with the helmet and it kinda turned out massive lol

View attachment 587266

Oh well, time to rescale and build again. I'm only building this in pep to get the scale and feel of the size so doesn't really matter how many times I have to remake it lol.

I have a model kit to build that will also help me with the full build :D

View attachment 587267

For the most part I will be using Clive Lee's tutorial to help me with the build along with pep and a lot of trial and error. This is going to be a long build process. For the most part this will be made out of cardboard.

I would like to say a big thank you to @stigmorgan for the pep file's and @ironmaided for his help and encouragement so far.

I will keep you updated wit the progress even though it may be slow.
Looking good man, look forward to seeing it progressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Stig, will keep updated when more progress has been done, currently redoing the helmet as the first was way off.

Its been some time since I updated this thread.

Have finished the resize of the helmet

IMG_1198.JPG

The size is now perfect but there are quite a few problems that I have noticed that need to be fixed.

1. The front peak should be curved and not flat.
2. The large vents at the side have the wrong details.
3. Smaller vents have are not angled correctly.
4. The very top is the wrong shape from front to back.
5. The front mask is the wrong shape.
6. The indents in the front of the peak are the wrong shape.
7. The indent in the back is the wrong side.

Just a small list lol.

I would usually sort all of that after I have covered it in resin and rondo'd the inside but seeing as now I live in a flat that is not possible, so time to start completely from scratch.

I have now decided to completely redo the helmet from the ground up from cardboard. I will be using the pep'd helmet for my measurements and will see where it takes me.

It may take a while as I can be a bit of a perfectionist sometimes and tend to redo a lot of parts multiple times.

Thanks for looking and will update when I have some more progress.

Not had much time to work on this but I have got a little way in making the helmet again

IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG

Just trying to work out the best way to do the dome on the top and will be putting all the detail in at a later date.

Let me know what you think.

Any criticism is welcome as it helps in the long run and the more help the better :D

There's something about the eyes - they look like they're on the same plane as opposed to wrapping around the inner head (head curve, so to speak). I think the key of Gundam's structure is that it follows the Samurai helmet. You have the outer helmet, but the mask over the wearer.

The one in the right of this image might be wrapping too much, but you get the idea:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nFlXMUsco0U/maxresdefault.jpg

There's something about the eyes - they look like they're on the same plane as opposed to wrapping around the inner head (head curve, so to speak). I think the key of Gundam's structure is that it follows the Samurai helmet. You have the outer helmet, but the mask over the wearer.

The one in the right of this image might be wrapping too much, but you get the idea:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nFlXMUsco0U/maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for the reply, was kinda wondering if anyone was interested lol.

I think I get what you mean lol, the white helmet on the left in my pic was just for a reference and I noticed a lot that wasn't right with it. I using a MG 1/00 kit and hopefully it will look right. The eyes and front mask will wrap around. The cardboard helmet that I'm making now still needs a few tweaks as with the sides it needs to come in a bit more, but that will be fixed ;).

Also, stand back at least 6 feet when photographing. Up close, there is perspective distortion, and that may be throwing off some of the proportions, such as the big vent on the center crown and forehead really large.

I'm glad you captured the double "^" shapes for the mouth. It's subtle but it makes such a difference.

Not had much time to work on this but I have got a little way in making the helmet again

Just trying to work out the best way to do the dome on the top and will be putting all the detail in at a later date.

Let me know what you think.

Any criticism is welcome as it helps in the long run and the more help the better :D

Very cool, any progress?

I have started my RX-78-2 Custom build myself and would love to ask you a few questions.

Very cool, any progress?

I have started my RX-78-2 Custom build myself and would love to ask you a few questions.

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while.

I have been doing little bits and pieces but have been really busy with work. Should be able to get a decent amount done over the next few weeks and will keep updated.

Ask away with your questions, more than happy to help if I can lol

How tall are you?
How tall are your stilts?

What is the measurement from the ground plane to your: [best guesstimate]
knee/pivot

hip/pivot joint

Shoulder

What material are you using to make the skin/armor?​

Everything is being made out of cardboard.

I'm 5'7"

The stilts are roughly 300mm high.

I'm using Clivelee's tutorial as a guide, which if you haven't read, I suggest that you do as it is extremely helpful.

As for the rest of the measurements. I don't have any as building as I go to make it fit and look right. I found it daunting at first but when you get into it it's not to bad.

Sorry I can't be any more indepth with the measurments but I haven't taken any lol.

Let me know how you get on.

Everything is being made out of cardboard.

I'm 5'7"

The stilts are roughly 300mm high.

I'm using Clivelee's tutorial as a guide, which if you haven't read, I suggest that you do as it is extremely helpful.

As for the rest of the measurements. I don't have any as building as I go to make it fit and look right. I found it daunting at first but when you get into it it's not to bad.

Sorry I can't be any more indepth with the measurments but I haven't taken any lol.

Let me know how you get on.

Cool, yeah I have scoured the web for a month or so before even poking around. So yes I have seen and have Clive's tut.
Seen all the builds you can find online and watch on YouTube.

Cardboard: cool, thats not an easy task. I actually have my mock up feet done up in CB.

300mm wow, that is pretty tall. [depending, heh]
My reverse scaling process/estimates put mine at 15mm and I am 5'11.
Of course this is all relative to the build and/person wearing it. [scaling]

That is why I was curious on your measurements from key points from the ground.

I already know I will need to adjust on the fly to get my scaling good as I'm not a mech. ;)
I have tons of reference materials already so that isn't a problem.

Post up pics when you get to them, as always I love to see what others are doing and how they did it.

Once I get a little more done I will post a thread up here of my progress slated for a 2017 Oct debut/completion.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back