TIE Bomber Scratchbuild

I love tamiya extra thin cement, green bottle. It works perfect for scrtch building. It runs in and you can apply quite a bit without melting anything. Thats only my own findings though.
Good to see you still at was getting worried there

Thanks for taking the time to explain the changes / improvements you made Keiko . Mate you are seriously fastidious LOL ! , much to our joy ;) !!!
Re; your Testors revelation ... is this permanent / no longer manufactured ? . Just started using it ( on certain areas ) in conjunction with Tamiya thin and Humbrol liquid cement , thanks to your exemplary work and recommendation . Seems to work well , but I’m not too keen with the supplied ‘ brush in bottle top ‘ of the Humbrol :facepalm .

If you’re sorely missing it ( the glue ! ) , there’s a place over here - PM if interested ( honestly not sure if posting that info is allowed ) , that’s got it in stock , they ship Internationally and they’re a pretty good bunch to work with IMO . I’m not affiliated with them though , except as a returning customer .

Anyoo , as we say over here ‘ Keep on Keeping On ! ‘

:cheers Ged

CaptainMumbles : Yes, the green extra thin is quite good, but not quite as good for certain applications as the old faithful Testor's. The Tamiya is a little hotter/more volatile and it evaporates very fast. One of my techniques for very small parts is to put a tiny puddle of liquid cement down and then place the part onto it with a knife. The glue stays wet long enough to act as a lubricant and lets me position the part a bit. I find the Tamiya evaporates too fast for this. It's great for other applications like bigger parts and I'm using it as much as I can to try and preserve my Testor's for the really tricky stuff.
gedmac66: I have certainly been accused of being fastidious before! I guess that makes models a good fit. I'm having fun though. It was really weird banging out that X wing for the gift I mentioned in 12 or 14 hours or something. It looked pretty good and I thought, "wow, it doesn't take long to build models".

I'm really keen on discovering the embossing technique and have further refined my idea. It's pretty obvious and I'm sure a few people were way ahead of me. Instead of a straight pin and small hammer, I'm using a thumbtack now. I did a quick experiment to see how precisely I could lay out rivets, and it's pretty darn good. The test piece here was done by eye with no measurements or marks made. I'm now 95% decided to redo the bomb chute and add all the rivets.

I'm definitely interested in getting hold of more Testors and I'll shoot you a PM right now. Thanks in advance for the connection!

Also, why not an X wing photo for giggles.

cheers,

K.

DSCN5540.JPG

DSCN5513.JPGDSCN5514.JPGDSCN5515.JPGDSCN5516.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Keiko ,

PM sent . The **** luck in it = Good ( don’t know why Good was replaced with asterisks ? ) .
That X - Wing , sure was pumped out quick ( I move at a snails pace myself ) . What make ( company ) and scale is it ? The stand seems home / scratch built (?) so it’s hard to tell from your pics .

Cheers ,

Ged :thumbsup

Got your message Ged, thanks very much.

The X wing is the old ERTL kit from the late 70s. It was in production until at least 2000, and maybe still is. It's about 1/40 scale or so. I had a stash of these, but when Finemolds made the much better 1/48 scale offering which I grabbed up, these became redundant. They can still build up to an pretty attractive replica though the scale oddness is more of an annoyance for me. Anyway, I built it up for that gift exchange I mentioned. The recipient was very happy. I corrected the lower fuselage profile, inner wing details, cockpit, pilot and droid, but stopped myself there.

The stand is home made in my typical fashion. I use telescoping square tube with the larger size pre-installed in the model and base and the next size down acting as the shaft of the stand. I like it because the model won't spin on the square tube which allows me to pose some on their stands at more dynamic angles. The base is just a piece of scrap wood from a home reno project, cut to a rectangle with sloped edges, quickly sanded and painted.

I've highjacked my own thread again, but I'll be back with more TIE Bomber stuff soon.

Cheers,

K.

I speed build a lot so with small parts i lightly stab them with the xacto blade and position them on the model like i would a pencil to paper then with the other hand apply the thin cement and let it wick around. Just a thougt.

Its so easy to start build other things. I know once i finish my one ill be building something out of box for sure!!!

K, did you find the flat cone calculators a bit strange? Im trying to make my tapered outer skins for my engine bulkheads but they always end up being too large a diameter and ive tried two different ones!! Did you have a similar problem?

Every time I drop in for a gander at this scratch build I am left feeling inadequate and very jealous - bloomin' marvellous modelling

Taking over where ILM left off

absolutely fantastic and so very educational - its great to keep on learning about the original kit bashing secrets -

keep up the great modelling work

I speed build a lot so with small parts i lightly stab them with the xacto blade and position them on the model like i would a pencil to paper then with the other hand apply the thin cement and let it wick around. Just a thougt.

Its so easy to start build other things. I know once i finish my one ill be building something out of box for sure!!!

K, did you find the flat cone calculators a bit strange? Im trying to make my tapered outer skins for my engine bulkheads but they always end up being too large a diameter and ive tried two different ones!! Did you have a similar problem?

I use that same technique, but for really, really small parts, I like to put a tiny puddle on the model first and then position the part on it with the knife. I find Tamiya doesn't work as well for that approach.

I'm up for something easier next time too. I have a few partly finished in the queue that I'll bang out fast when the Bomber is done. In fact there's even some concurrent work going on with some Bandai Y-wings.

You know, I did find the cone calculators a little off too. I ended up getting what I wanted, but for reasons not understood, they came out a little long/too large in diameter. I simply trimmed the ends a bit and got a smaller diameter which worked out okay and didn't affect the slope of the cone enough for me to care. I have enough mathematics skill to derive my own formula. Maybe I'll try that and see if it agrees. At the time, I just thought I'd made a mistake in applying the calculator I found.
Gimme Shelter: Thanks for the nice comments. I hope you're joking about feeling inadequate - I've checked out your sandcrawler and think you're doing great work there.

Cheers,

K.

X-wing looks great

That sucks about the Testor's stuff. That's all I have ever used. The ony switch of sorts, was going to the blue tube from the red tube

I like the working quality and time it has, especially as you said for adding those small parts on. I would sometime dab out a glob, and tough my small part to it, then stick it on the model, in other cases, i do like you said, and use a toothpick to add a small spot on the model and plop the part on top

No where near as precise as the stuff you are doing, but I did this whole thing with the Testor's blue tube

http://i.imgur.com/HkRJLgam.jpg

Your star destroyer looks good, but the pic was a little small for me to really dive in.

I'm actually referring to Testor's liquid cement, not the tube stuff. I haven't heard that the tube glue has been discontinued so you may have nothing to worry about.

Man this is such brilliant work!! Really. This scratch built free blue stuff is really wonderful!!

Have you seen those marking rulers with cutouts every x increment? I wonder if that would be useful in creating evenly spaced rivets.

Keiko ,

mate believe me your experimentation ( trials and tribulations ) re; techniques and problem solving , are anything but boring !
I’ve been trying some of what you’ve shared on this thread on my own builds , and they’ve worked incredibly well . Admittedly not building a tie bomber ( actually it’s the deago MF ) , but the things I’ve picked up here so far has just added to my limited knowledge and repertoire of ‘ How to ‘ .

:cheersGed

Hello everyone. I'm on Christmas break now, having fun doing a few of my favourite things, including working on models of course.

If Ged liked my earlier trials and experiments, he'll love this. I just could not get a certain part (I call it "the pulleys") small enough. I was about to give up and accept not having this detail but then I decided not to go quietly into that dark night and try again. Spoiler alert - the third try was acceptable. It's still a tad big compared to reference photos, but at least it fit into the space I had to give it. The inner wing root area is coming along nicely and starting to develop that mechanically cluttered look that all the TIEs seem to have there.

DSCN5536.JPGDSCN5537.JPGDSCN5539.JPGDSCN5541.JPGDSCN5550.JPGDSCN5551.JPG

To be continued...

Oh yeah - I found this. Different product number...perhaps the same chemistry? Here's hoping. I got it at Michael's, not a traditional hobby shop.

DSCN5557.JPG
CaptainMumbles - no, I haven't tried Revell Contacta, but I will if this last purchase doesn't pan out.
Pedro - no I haven't seen such a ruler with perforations. One sure would be handy for some of the rivets I did, I'm done with that now, at least until I redo the bomb chute, that is.

K.

Hey Keiko ,

Merry Christmas ( it’s Dec. 25th over here ) to you and your family !

Beautifully detailed , descriptive work shared yet again my friend . Wow ! :p , you gotta have the patience of a saint !

Enjoy your chrissie break and keep sharing this wonderful build ( at your own leisure of course ! )

:cheersGed

Merry Christmas to you too Ged, and everyone else while I'm at it. I'm getting ready for bed, hoping Santa finds my house tonight.

Cheers,

K.

Ah, Christmas day here in Canada. A big part of my day was spent staying out of my wife's way, but ready to leap into action should she need something from the basement or up high or a jar opened. Otherwise, I was happy at my modeling desk.

I still have to go back and make those brake shoe parts fit in next to my pulleys that I was working on last update, but meanwhile, I moved onto a few other things. It seemed really important to me to get the apparent arch in the latest Hanomag part I built, but I'm very happy with its result and don't regret it. The little things, I guess.

DSCN5570.JPGDSCN5581.JPGDSCN5580.JPGDSCN5579.JPGDSCN5578.JPGDSCN5577.JPGDSCN5574.JPGDSCN5573.JPGDSCN5572.JPGDSCN5582.JPG

Thanks for looking as always,

K.

edit: I'd had a good run of photos in order, but here we go again. Anyway, you'll figure it out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back