Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic...

I think that maybe a photoshop picture...I think the picture I posted was the original dog cafe in los angeles

I'm pretty sure that at least it's not one built for the movie. The face of the Rocketeer version looked more like a dog, had windows above the door and other small details. But it could still be fake, who knows.....

RestaurantShapedLikeBulldog.jpg

I ma pretty sure like 99.9% sure that it is a photoshopped photo of a dave stevens drawing of the bulldog cafe...great photoshop...remember some sites contain misleading info about the rocketeer and other things

I ma pretty sure like 99.9% sure that it is a photoshopped photo of a dave stevens drawing of the bulldog cafe...great photoshop...remember some sites contain misleading info about the rocketeer and other things

Wow! I have never seen that photo of the bulldog before. Can you say where you got it? Here's what I know about the original: The inspiration for the café as designed by Rocketeer comic book author and artist Dave Stevens was “The Dog Café”, a circa 1928 restaurant that was once located at 1153 West Washington Boulevard in Los Angeles, CA. “The Dog Café” was torn down in 1955 (the same year Stevens was born). The Dog should not be confused with another similar restaurant (c. 1930) farther west at 12732 West Washington Boulevard, Venice, CA* known as “The Pup” (I think you posted a picture of this one the other day). I've attached another Dog pic from “California Crazy” by Jim Heimann ©1990 Chronicle Books, San Francisco.

hmmm, very interesting. I didnt know there were two dog cafes in los angeles. The picture above look photoshop. The guy standing in front just didnt look right among other things. It is hard to tell these days. i learned about the pup cafe because it was mentioned at the petersen automotive museum in los angeles...I got the picture above from 2719 HYPERION: February 2008

here are some pictures of a replica at the petersen museum,,,
Petersenmuseum32809049.jpg

bulldogcafe.jpg
Petersenmuseum32809045.jpg

here is another picture of the other dog cafe
2f365695.jpg

I agree, the guy in the front with the short pants looks a little out of place, like somebody said "this is how I'll make this picture look old"

Sometimes the truth is just stranger than fiction. Too bad Disney doesn't see any value in the Rocketeer. It wou;d've been great if they had replicated the Bulldog Cafe as a real refreshment stand operation at their parks.

Sometimes the truth is just stranger than fiction. Too bad Disney doesn't see any value in the Rocketeer. It wou;d've been great if they had replicated the Bulldog Cafe as a real refreshment stand operation at their parks.

It seems like a natural. From working in the entertainment industry, I've learned that when there is some mysterious decision made there is often a legal issue behind it. What that might have been in this case I have no idea.
On another note, here's a cool aerial view of the Disney-MGM Studio Backlot when the Bulldog Café was in place (just at the lower right edge of the photo).

On another note, here's a cool aerial view of the Disney-MGM Studio Backlot when the Bulldog Café was in place (just at the lower right edge of the photo).

That is a pretty cool photo. Too bad the cafe is way off to the side and barely shown. It would be nice to see a perfect arial shot

That is a pretty cool photo. Too bad the cafe is way off to the side and barely shown. It would be nice to see a perfect arial shot

I agree. Amazing how such a famous, popular and unusual building has so few decent pictures of it available - even considering that it's lifespan was basically before the age of digital photography. I'll keep looking...

Sorry, this isn't cafe related at all but it is Rocketeer related. I was watching Cougar Town last night (the halloween episode) and someone walked right by the camera with a Rocketeer helmet. I wondered if it was the (or one of the) actual helmet/s used for the movie. I've never seen the movie but I know it was a Disney movie and Cougar Town is on ABC which is owned by Disney. There was a serious close up on it, just seemed weird, is all. Just thought I'd post that while I remembered it. The show also broadcasts in HD if anyone wants to go check.

It was probably nothing but figured there was no harm in posting it. Besides maybe derailing the thread for a second. I really didn't think it warranted a new thread. Ignore this if it's irrelevant.

Sorry, this isn't cafe related at all but it is Rocketeer related. I was watching Cougar Town last night (the halloween episode) and someone walked right by the camera with a Rocketeer helmet. I wondered if it was the (or one of the) actual helmet/s used for the movie. I've never seen the movie but I know it was a Disney movie and Cougar Town is on ABC which is owned by Disney. There was a serious close up on it, just seemed weird, is all. Just thought I'd post that while I remembered it. The show also broadcasts in HD if anyone wants to go check.

It was probably nothing but figured there was no harm in posting it. Besides maybe derailing the thread for a second. I really didn't think it warranted a new thread. Ignore this if it's irrelevant.

I got excited thinking the actual helmet was on the tv show..Well, After I found a picture of the helmet....I must say :lol....Not even close to the rocketeer helmet...but it is kinda funny

166132d5.jpg

I got excited thinking the actual helmet was on the tv show..Well, After I found a picture of the helmet....I must say :lol....Not even close to the rocketeer helmet...but it is kinda funny

166132d5.jpg

That's pretty funny... I don't ride a motorcycle but I always thought it'd be cool to get a motorcycle helmet customized to replicate a Rocketeer helmet... What I had in mind would be a bit cooler than that but it's the idea that counts :p

166132d5.jpg

HAHA, oh man I was way wrong, sorry. I only saw it for a split second. That'll teach me to go back and check lol.

Attached are my last two pics of the Cafe set taken in the mid-1990s. In the second pic, my cousin is seen wearing a denim jacket that has the Rocketeer artwork emblazoned upon it. This jacket was a one-off created by him. He was an INCREDIBLE artist! This jacket now resides in my personal collection.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back