Jedi Knight holodisc build -functioning prop, stainless steel disc, cold cast housing

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Jedi Knight is special to me. Everyone loved the game, but it is because of this game that I am where I am today. It shifted the direction of my life because I learned 3D modeling for this game to make add-on levels. I created several multiplayer maps in the mid 90s, and eventually went on to focus on digital fabrication using the skills I first learned for these. I've been on a kick lately, making the other data storage devices from Star Wars, including the aluminum/gold plated Death Star Plans Data Card, the metal Map to Luke Skywalker device from TFA, and I've made holocrons in the past. I really want to do this prop justice, and make a holodisc where the wheel is real metal, and the housing is cold-cast bronze or something similar.
Holodisc (1).jpg8L5pC2h.jpgside 8t88.png

As a placeholder, I've made this quick prototype just to have something to work from. This is not what the final piece will look like. This is just painted plastic. The real one will have a stainless steel disc, and a much nicer bronze cold-cast housing, better details too, and the disc will spin. I also intend for this replica to actually function, and when you place it near a phone, it'll load the scene from Jedi Knight where Morgan Katarn tells kyle about Master Qu Rahn's light saber and the Valley of the Jedi. Again, here's the prototype non-accurate non-production stand-in prop:

IMG_20171204_164820.jpgIMG_20171204_164858.jpgIMG_20171204_161211_1.jpgIMG_20171204_164903.jpgIMG_20171204_161336.jpg

Again, the above images are the prototype, and not what it will look like during production. You can follow along this thread to watch the progress of the build. In the 5th pic above, you can see a stainless steel piece I make for Han in Carbonite greeblies. The disc for the holodisc will be made from that same type of metal.

A neat thing about this project... I reached out to Jason Court, the actor who played Kyle Katarn in the cut-scenes, and asked if he'd like one. He's thrilled about it and will add it to his collection in the near future.

Last edited:
Re: Jedi Knight holodisc build -functioning prop, stainless steel disc, cold cast hou

I've had this on my list since the game came out, but never got around to it. I can't wait to see yours.

Re: Jedi Knight holodisc build -functioning prop, stainless steel disc, cold cast hou

I've had this on my list since the game came out, but never got around to it. I can't wait to see yours.
Ya, it seems to have almost happened a few times but I'm just committing to doing it so it will.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nice!

I'm etching the disc now from .8mm stainless steel.

This would go really well with the Katarn saber run I'm working on right now. I'll be watching this one to see how it turns out.

Such a great game! I’ve even played it recently and I was terrible at it, totally lost in the levels and died all the time, I suck :-D

And those FMV’s!

They are cheesy as hell but I find myself impersonating Jerec all the time. This would be a great run to get in on.

“Morgan Katarn. This dead man knows the location of the Valley of the Jedi.” Sinisterly licks lips Haha

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back