1/72 Scale Buck Rogers Thunder Fighter (not available but there may be hope)!!!

darkev2

For a while now I been wondering if I could get a set of Buck Rogers Fighters; Thunder Fighter and Draconian Marauder (Hatchet Fighter) in 1/72 Scale. While I have seen the Marauder in such (and is still available) the ship that held the Thunder Fighter has sadly sailed. The online source Fantastic Plastic had a rather nice kit but as it goes its no longer available. However there "MAY" still be some hope. In an email conversation with I believe the owner he alluded to the fact that if enough interest is seen, he would "maybe" re-issue the kit. So I'm putting it out there. If anyone is interested in such, please PLEASE send an "inquiry" or "I would buy it if you had it" letter to

" fantasticplast@aol.com "

in the hope that the kit could be manufactured and re-released!!!

Thank You!!!

darkev2

Last edited by a moderator:
Why bother with 1/72? Federation models have the "Alliance models" thunder-fighter at 1/32 scale. I bought one a few years back and it's a great kit.

Well because the thing is actually truer to 1/72 scale (ad says 8 inches but owner of shop says it's actually 7.5) while the one from Federation Models is actually (correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE) a "lot" closer to 1/48 then 1/32. Take a look at the workup I created a while back;

Buck Rogers Thunder Fighter
ScaleLength of Kit (inches)
Total length 528 inches or 44 feet ????

Now this is taking the Studio Scale kit at 1/24 with a length of 44 feet as a base. Is the kit you have "more" accurate to 1/48 in length or 1/32??? Mine you it sort of doesn't matter as long as the Draconian Marauder is proportional to the thunder Fighter which it is and MORE IMPORTANTLY AS AN OWNER YOU ARE HAPPY WITH IT!!!

darkev2

Why bother with 1/72? Federation models have the "Alliance models" thunder-fighter at 1/32 scale. I bought one a few years back and it's a great kit.

32buds, some of us prefer or are constrained to certain scales. When someone asks for something in a particular scale, offering them that thing in another scale is... not helpful? Given all the time and frustration I've had finding things in 1:72, knowing where to find those things in 1:48 (or other) scales is irrelevant (and I probably already know where to get them in those other scales).

In other news, I would lovelovelove to have the Thunder fighter in 1:72. So. ;)

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonah, I was trying to be helpful, to a fellow modeller.
The reply was rather ignorant, and could be described as a rant.
Obviously I shall be ignoring this fellow's future posts.
You, on the other hand, seem much more sensible.
Hopefully you find what you are looking for.
;)

32buds

I am sorry that you took my post as offensive or a rant. As was suggested above "yes" I have been looking for a 1/72 scale kit of the Thunderfighter for a quite some time. I don't have a problem with other scales of the kit except as I was trying to point out in my reply "none" of them are accurate given the two end points of the 1/72 and 1/24 scale kits. Again if you took offense to my reply to "your" post it wasn't meant to be offensive or vindictive or argumentative. However given that you have taken it that way, again I am sorry.

darkev2

Jonah, I was trying to be helpful, to a fellow modeller.
The reply was rather ignorant, and could be described as a rant.
Obviously I shall be ignoring this fellow's future posts.
You, on the other hand, seem much more sensible.
Hopefully you find what you are looking for.
;)

Have you thought of building it out of paper? There is a nice (and free) version on the internet. Rescaling paper is easy. I rescaled that same thunderfighter from 1:32 to 1:18. Changing from 1:32 to 1:72 would, in some ways, be easier.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back