Imperial Probe Droid - full size

Have you seen this http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263259 he is building K-2S0 and has some nice joints and using pvc pipe maybe share ideas

I've been following that build - such great ideas. I watched him on twitch one night and discussed some of his build. He turned me onto the spider joints he's using from Spider Hill Prop Works, so I bought a set. Could be useful for this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been following that build - such great ideas. I watched him on twitch one night and discussed some of his build. He turned me onto the spider joints he's using from Spider Hill Prop Works, so I bought a set. Could be useful for this. Thanks!

I love finding new hardware for my projects that I didn't know existed! Glad to help. I'm excited to see your probe droid come together.

I've decided on materials to help keep things light-weight.

The headpiece will be carved from EPS foam(pink insulation from Home Depot). Then I'll use Smooth On Epsilon Pro with a mix of black and white tint to produce a dark grey color. I'll add greeblies to the droid with additional foam(EVA, craft foam etc...) that can be coated with epsilon. I'd like to mount the head to a lazy Susan so the head can turn. Im also planning to include a PVC skeleton inside to provide mounting options(vertical pole for free standing display as well as horizontal mount for a floating display). The legs will be a combo of rigid and soft foam. I'm not planning to have the legs move. They'll be mounted to the PVC skeleton.

I'll need some assistance with creating a sound/light kit for it - definitely going to hijack a kit from an R2 dome set-up.

I found a source nearby that sells EPS foam in large blocks - 48" x 96" and 24" thick. Once I get the dimensions in the product, I can place an order.

There is a guy on Facebook who has started serial production of lifesize Probots.

14241482_1231780313530012_1935518107328058459_o.jpg

Any updates on your build ?

I'm still working on this one. I'm working with a partner on this - part of the local R2 builders club. We're going to use lightweight hard board to build the frame. More to come...

good luck with this build! I've wanted to have a go at this too but a bit daunted by the size of the task. The only thing extra I can add is I was thinking of vac forming the different domes to cut down on weight and because it's a tool I have access too. Looking forward to updates

good luck with this build! I've wanted to have a go at this too but a bit daunted by the size of the task. The only thing extra I can add is I was thinking of vac forming the different domes to cut down on weight and because it's a tool I have access too. Looking forward to updates

We have a local builder who's going to vac-form the lenses for me. Size is also a struggle - the largest piece is 42". Definitely a big build.

i was not able to find a PM button in the forums. but would really like to have the 3D file for the probe droid if someone willing to give it away.

thanks

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back