Show your custom Lightsabers!

Very cool.

I've been considering bulding an Obi-style saber out of a No. 20 Mk 2 grenade, and it would look very similar to yours. Here's a picture of one below.

WW1 No20 Mk2.JPG

Hey all, This is the first time I'll be posting a project, so here it is! A lightsaber I machined, on my lathe from Silicon Bronze, Stainless and Mild Steel, Walnut, and Aluminum.

I was pretty happy with the outcome, and plan on making a few more possibly..

View attachment 578827
View attachment 578826
View attachment 578825

I have a build thread for this but thought I'd post here as well. Been working on this for awhile and its almost there.I call it a stealth saber.

View attachment 581312

I HATE the Graflite. It's cheap, has those ugly plastic ends, and has no character worthy to make it a lightsaber. AND because it has the Graflex brand name on it, everyone who has one runs to eBay and thinks they can list these $15 crap tubes for hundreds of dollars. WHO'S BUYING THEM!?

That said-- You have managed to make my most hated flashtube into one of the coolest sabers I've seen! Awesome job! Maybe to break up the black do the thin silver strip of tape on the clamp below the calc bubbles? Or don't-- you don't need my advice cause this thing looks bad ass.

OT and yet totally different. I love it.

I HATE the Graflite. It's cheap, has those ugly plastic ends, and has no character worthy to make it a lightsaber. AND because it has the Graflex brand name on it, everyone who has one runs to eBay and thinks they can list these $15 crap tubes for hundreds of dollars. WHO'S BUYING THEM!?

That said-- You have managed to make my most hated flashtube into one of the coolest sabers I've seen! Awesome job! Maybe to break up the black do the thin silver strip of tape on the clamp below the calc bubbles? Or don't-- you don't need my advice cause this thing looks bad ass.

OT and yet totally different. I love it.

Thanks! Funny, I feel the same way about Graflites, this was kind of an ugly duckling challenge for me!

I'm a noob here, and while I know what Graflex is, I'm assuming that "Graflite" is a saber made from a maglite? Is that correct?

It was a more modern version of the Graflex and made out of aluminum, instead of plated brass. They look and feel nothing alike.

- - - Updated - - -

TheRPF should have a Graflite challenge!

I mean, you've already won, but still!

Excellent idea.:thumbsup

Luuke was talking about a custom Lightsaber contest a while back, maybe he'd like to do something like this.

That would be fun!

I'm a noob here, and while I know what Graflex is, I'm assuming that "Graflite" is a saber made from a maglite? Is that correct?

Go on to ebay and search Graflex. You'll see the real thing running from $350-800. Then you'll see a bunch labelled as Graflex in the $100 range that look really boring and simple, usually with a description along the lines of DURR MAKE A LIGHTSABER OMG STAR WARS I'M GONNA BE RICH and you'll see the difference.

They were used in the X-Wing cockpit set, and inexplicably, as Luke's lightsaber in the Holiday Special.

They are worth around $15-30 MAX. I think most lightsaber crafters despise them, but Panaflex made it work.

Welp-- my box o' flashguns has arrived, and there was some magical stuff in it-- so I will very soon be contributing to this thread for reals!

As a bonus in the box-- my first two custom sabers. Be kind-- I made this literally over 20 years ago!

This was the first custom I made from flashgun.

custom1.jpg

Obviously this is a Heiland 3 cell build. I stripped every last attachment and greeblie to put on my Vader build, so when I went to do my own, it was pretty clean. From the top down—

The shorter Heiland shroud, it was scratched and beat when I got it.

The emitter is basically just the bulb socket raised up to be visible.

That drum is a Heiland clamp.

I used to have a second clamp as well-- one of the black boxy Heiland clamps that's a knockoff of the MPP clamp-- the kind with the giant knob on the side. I had ditched the knob and slid an edge card in. Well... sort of.

The card in the clamp— funny story there. At the time I was part of a lightsaber group on AOL. The idea was out there that the edge card in the ESB Graflex was some sort of circuit board. The first thing I did upon reading that was go to my junk drawer, grab an old TV remote, and curb stomped the **** out of it until I saw electronics. I cut a piece to fit and jammed it in there. Done! It was just green and copper lines.

I think I let a friend talk me out of that extra clamp. But it added character...

Next, the grip. Another funny story. This was the windshield wiper era. I actually tried it with my Graflex and knew there was no way. TOO SMALL I said. MAYBE IT WAS FROM A PLANE somebody on AOL said. Somebody else suggested “auto trim.” That’s the self-adhering moulding you could buy to put on your car door— because it was the 90s. It still exists these days, but for door edges and blinging your whip. Anyway, the stuff actually worked pretty well. It’s plastic based, but rubberized. It’s really stiff, but has just enough grip to give. I had tried rubber grips, plastic grips, and who knows what else, and nothing was ever comfortable, seemed to keep it’s shape, or didn’t shift or buckle under a rivet. This stuff worked great. The adhesive didn’t love the chrome plating, and after a few days it would start to peel back a little— so I popped some rivets on there and obviously it’s stayed in place for a couple decades.

Clearly AOL had informed me by then that Obi-Wan’s saber involved a sink knob— so you know the first thing I did was find a decent shape and bang it on there a mallet and a prayer. I knew it was a little iffy (and my anti-hardware stance now makes my eyes go right to it) but it just so happens the thread size was the same as a mounting bracket knob that came with one of these flashes, so I added that to the base.

I don’t think it’s half bad. I’d love it if all the metal tones matched— and to be honest I don’t love the chrome plating on Heilands… but those grips aren’t coming off so there’s no way I’m going to be able to refinish it.

I could change it up… or maybe I should just leave it as the memory of my first time going custom.

custom1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't going to share this.. but oh well. :)

This was also in the box-- my very first lightsaber, an mid 90s PVC job. It's amazingly intact and not yellowed or worn-- probably because it was buried in a box away from light for 20 years, save for one section that was cracked. I actually had a suitable replacement so I snapped it in. As I watch my son want to play with the Graflex and run around outside with it I'm getting REAL nervous he will drop it.

Clearly he needs a stunt saber so I plan to push this off on him. :)

Oh, and obviously, the unused cap from the Heiland build is attached to this thing via a pop rivet through a D ring on the back side.

pvc.jpg

pvc.jpg

I wasn't going to share this.. but oh well. :)

This was also in the box-- my very lightsaber, an mid 90s PVC job. It's amazingly intact and not yellowed or worn-- probably because it was buried in a box away from light for 20 years, save for one section that was cracked. I actually had a suitable replacement so I snapped it in. As I watch my son want to play with the Graflex and run around outside with it I'm getting REAL nervous he will drop it.

Clearly he needs a stunt saber so I plan to push this off on him. :)

Oh, and obviously, the unused cap from the Heiland build is attached to this thing via a pop rivet through a D ring on the back side.

View attachment 582126

That's pretty good for a PVC saber. I'll try and find one I made out of pipe in college. My roommate and I made them so that they could be fitted with wooden dowels. We put a lot of holes in our ceiling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I watch my son want to play with the Graflex and run around outside with it I'm getting REAL nervous he will drop it.

You should let him. Everything in the Star Wars universe is beat to hell. If he drops it, that's just 'authentic weathering'. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back