Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Big fan myself and wasnt nearly as offended with the PT as some buts its undeniable the first two are the benchmark which all that follow are and should be judged by.

I actually rate A New Hope below Return of the Jedi and only view Empire as the benchmark to judge all movies "not just Star Wars" by.

Love A New Hope, but in many ways it's a mess, understandably.

I saw the first 7 SW movies in the theater. I was really excited for TFA, especially since it was my kids first SW theater experience. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. Saw Rouge 1 and liked it but not enough that it was worth $65 for the theater experience. I didn't see TLJ until it was on disc. It took about a month for me to accept the death of SW in my mind. I let go of the grief and anger at the loss, much like when a loved one passes.
My Dad died when I was a kid, a great guy and wonderful father that FORCED me at a young age to see what I thought was a stupid Bible movie only to see Han Solo treasure hunting in the jungle! He let me whine about Noah's ark the whole way there smiling!
I was angry when he died, the rage and grief of a 10 year old knows no bounds. Eventually I had to accept he was gone and appreciate what I had while he was here. I still put in videos of his stage performances and home movies and enjoy the heck out of them. I couldn't do that without pain until I accepted reality and let go of the grief.

SW is dead to me, doesn't change how much I love it but it's gone now. I don't have a problem with people making more movies,TV shows, cartoons...but PLEASE no more holiday specials!! I look at all this as fan film projects. Some might be good, some might be bad.
I doubt I'll ever pay for a movie ticket to SW again, not because of some principled boycott, just not really interested anymore.
I get people are angry, I was too at first.
Try the Jedi way...let go of your hate. Not the Sith way.... yes USE your anger!

I actually rate A New Hope below Return of the Jedi and only view Empire as the benchmark to judge all movies "not just Star Wars" by.

Love A New Hope, but in many ways it's a mess, understandably.

Well I have to respectfully disagree with your Star Wars rating if only for just the sheer wonder my ten year old self experienced but I think we can share in our appreciation of the OT. Empire is just a wonderful thing.

It may feel like that, especially if you travel in circles where lots of people are as passionate about their disdain for TLJ as some folks here are. I think the more likely reasons are:

1. The box office has been pretty soft in general. Solo had about the same percentage drop from week 1 to week 2 as Deadpool 2. It also led the box office for its first two weeks (I haven't checked since). It's been #1, albeit in an otherwise anemic box office environment. So, is it the film, or is it just that people aren't going to the movies after kinda blowing themselves out with Infinity War?

2. The marketing for Solo was (apparently) not as aggressive as for TFA, TLJ, or Rogue One. As I've said, I'm not really in a good position to comment on that, since I'm mostly disconnected from the usual advertising outlets (I run ad blockers on my browsers, I don't watch live TV, I tend to mute commercials on what I stream, I read news online and most of it is just political news where Solo wouldn't really advertise, and I listen to podcasts that don't advertise movies). On the streaming stuff that has commercials, I started seeing commercials for it maybe...2 weeks before release? Prior to that, all I'd really heard about it was its production difficulties and people here complaining that Alden was too short for the role.

3. As has been said, while people may have ended up enjoying it, it was a movie nobody asked for, and it wasn't the novelty of the first non-episodic Star Wars film the way Rogue One was.

I do expect that Episode IX will suffer some from fans still pissed about the sequel trilogy, but bear in mind that by the time ROTS came out, there were PLENTY of fans who were pissed livid about the direction of the PT...and they still went to see it and the film still grossed $848M worldwide.

I also think that there's going to be a marked difference between the "Star Wars Stories" and the episodes and how they perform. It wouldn't surprise me if Solo only barely breaks $400M when all is said and done, putting it about $100M below Rogue One worldwide. Not a success, but perhaps not the dire failure it was hyped up to be.

:lol Dano, you have a real knack for whistling past the graveyard.

I share @SofaKing01's grave concern. Especially because Episode IX has to build on the hot mess of a story in VIII, and tie up both VII and VIII as the final chapter in the trilogy.

And one more thing, on SOLO. Stop saying this was a film no one wanted. I wanted it (before they passed on AI). My Star Wars friends wanted it. And most of my Star Wars acquaintances wanted it. I bet if a poll had been done back in '12 when Disney bought LFL, asking: in addition to new trilogies, which standalone origins films would you most like to see?...that a Han and Chewie backstory would've ranked high on that list.

The Wook

I saw the first 7 SW movies in the theater. I was really excited for TFA, especially since it was my kids first SW theater experience. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. Saw Rouge 1 and liked it but not enough that it was worth $65 for the theater experience. I didn't see TLJ until it was on disc. It took about a month for me to accept the death of SW in my mind. I let go of the grief and anger at the loss, much like when a loved one passes.
My Dad died when I was a kid, a great guy and wonderful father that FORCED me at a young age to see what I thought was a stupid Bible movie only to see Han Solo treasure hunting in the jungle! He let me whine about Noah's ark the whole way there smiling!
I was angry when he died, the rage and grief of a 10 year old knows no bounds. Eventually I had to accept he was gone and appreciate what I had while he was here. I still put in videos of his stage performances and home movies and enjoy the heck out of them. I couldn't do that without pain until I accepted reality and let go of the grief.

SW is dead to me, doesn't change how much I love it but it's gone now. I don't have a problem with people making more movies,TV shows, cartoons...but PLEASE no more holiday specials!! I look at all this as fan film projects. Some might be good, some might be bad.
I doubt I'll ever pay for a movie ticket to SW again, not because of some principled boycott, just not really interested anymore.
I get people are angry, I was too at first.
Try the Jedi way...let go of your hate. Not the Sith way.... yes USE your anger!

I get what your saying but if i accept that Star Wars is dead it will be intolerable to live with the fact that according to Supreme Leader Iger, the corpse will be waived in front of me for the rest of my life.

I get what your saying but if i accept that Star Wars is dead it will be intolerable to live with the fact that according to Supreme Leader Iger, the corpse will be waived in front of me for the rest of my life.
It doesn't have to be, I get this seems fresh for you but you don't have to look at it. Personally I don't see it as a corpse just a bad doppelganger.

And one more thing, on SOLO. Stop saying this was a film no one wanted. I wanted it (before they passed on AI). My Star Wars friends wanted it. And most of my Star Wars acquaintances wanted it. I bet if a poll had been done back in '12 when Disney bought LFL, asking: in addition to new trilogies, which standalone origins films would you most like to see?...that a Han and Chewie backstory would've ranked high on that list.The Wook

This is true for me as well but as the Disney experience gradually exposed its true self, that feeling soon left.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't have to be, I get this seems fresh for you but you don't have to look at it. Personally I don't see it as a corpse just a bad doppelganger.

Even without seeing the films, or TV shows they will be all over the communities etc that I follow so its kind of unavoidable.

On bottom line issues.

Creatively, he defers to her.

It could be so. This I'm not personally privvy to, so I'll have to defer to one who knows first hand.

- - - Updated - - -

I share Wook's opinion.

Fair.

Still, it is only an opinion and not empirical fact... which was The Wook's original assertion.

- - - Updated - - -

For informing me that Kennedy answers to Iger,

ahhh... okie. You're welcome.

This is true for me as well but as the Disney experience gradually exposed its true self, that feeling soon left.

- - - Updated - - -

Even without seeing the films, or TV shows they will be all over the communities etc that I follow so its kind of unavoidable.

Yes it will be but it's up to individuals how they look at it, as a corpse or a doppelganger.
Disney OWNS SW now, they're going to do whatever they want. We have no power over the decisions being made. I really do feel for you, and anyone else dealing with the loss of something they love. The secret is it isn't gone, the OOT is widely available.
Not everyone is ready to let go yet but trust me, Disney doesn't give a dam, they have enough money to make whatever they want until we're all long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back