Kylo mopes.
Artoo beeps.
BB8 rolls.
X-Wings fly.
Things go boom in space.
...and on the ground.
Luke doesn't get a haircut.
...Chewie does.
Porgs end up being these bloodsucking vicious creatures.
Joseph Gordon Levitt is revealed as emo Kylo's hipster half-brother.

JD:

You lost your "Nostradamus" cred, with the last 2 predictions:)

Like Excalibur, the saber would only "go" to the "chosen one" and no other. But even then, that's a bit weak, because others have handled the saber (Han, Finn). So ultimately I think it just reflected the struggle between Kylo and Rey's (unknowing) greater power. Whether aware of it or not, she was able to overcome Kylo's attempts to get the saber and, further, retrieve it for herself.

M
I just have to say: I hate...HATE how fetishized this one saber has become in the story. Anakin had at least two, didn't particularly mourn when he lost the first, and Kenobi talks in the PT and the OT about sabers like they're useful tools, but never....NEVER as some quasi-aware, magical conduit of the Force that had any particular special quality apart from being a weapon that the Jedi favored. Star Wars doesn't need a magical object - that way lies the madness of poopy fantasy novels of the 80s.

I just have to say: I hate...HATE how fetishized this one saber has become in the story. Anakin had at least two, didn't particularly mourn when he lost the first, and Kenobi talks in the PT and the OT about sabers like they're useful tools, but never....NEVER as some quasi-aware, magical conduit of the Force that had any particular special quality apart from being a weapon that the Jedi favored. Star Wars doesn't need a magical object - that way lies the madness of poopy fantasy novels of the 80s.

I don't want the saber to be mystical in and of itself, but to be a totem of the Force's plans? I can live with that. Maybe we'll get a Monty Python homage out of it :lol

- Rey was left on Jakku by Snoke, The Voice Over in the trailer is Snoke talking to Rey, not Kylo.

I don't think they would put a give away that big in the trailer but it would definitely be an interesting twist. The "When I found you..." is odd wording, come to think of it.

Anyone have a theory about that round/oval object behind Luke in this frame? It looks like there may be light coming from underneath:

Luke_bg1.jpg

I don't think they would put a give away that big in the trailer but it would definitely be an interesting twist. The "When I found you..." is odd wording, come to think of it.

Anyone have a theory about that round/oval object behind Luke in this frame? It looks like there may be light coming from underneath:

View attachment 765920

Well, you don't really know who he is talking to...I am just saying...watch the trailer again and imagine that it is Snoke talking to Rey instead of Kylo...all I am saying is that it works...

Why would Snoke leave such an asset on a backwoods planet instead of apprenticing her?

That is a good point...and I would agree. However, there are some details in the aftermath books that give it some weight. Basically, Jakku has a huge "force well" at it's core...maybe he left her there to charge up her force batteries.

The more I type the stupider it sounds...

Hey mkstewartesq !

But let's also recall that that very same lightsaber killed Jedi younglings and many others in ROTS in the service of Darth Vader.

Umm, yep exactly!....
and it's had enough of being wielded by a Dark Side user (Anakin).
;)

It all gets a little confusing when we/if we want the lightsaber to be a Force Element. Do we want it to be sentient? TFA says it might be. Before that, all we've had to go on for the relationship between the Force and lightsabers is what we've read in the E.U. books about how lightsabers are assembled and powered by the builder imbuing the Force into the crystal to charge the lightsaber.

600full-luke-skywalker.jpg

67db781f8c40ab3e332fcd0215ec4271.jpg

SWOTLTD110.jpg

The deleted cave scene from ROTJ....
big_1449024849_image.jpg
...gives us a glimpse of the end of a lightsaber being constructed and clearly it's a more hands-on build than a Force-Only-Assembly-Technique. Which makes it seem more like a tool than a relic.

With TFA having the Skywalker GRAFLEX "call out" to Rey, it makes it seem more than simply "charged" by the Force.

I'm interested to see if they delve into the creation story of lightsabers in TLJ or in Episode IX. I think it be neat to have some part of it in the movies!

In fact, I believe the twist may be the LIGHTSABER was the REAL villain this whole time. :lol
I still think it's the lightsaber talking to Rey in the 2nd TLJ Trailer. And it's a goodguy!:angel Though the first encounter with Rey was a little Dark.:devil

We'll see how Lucasfilm/Disney handles the Force within lightsabers, it really could go in any direction! :wacko

Hey @Dem Bones ! I think that might be a Guardians of the Whills symbol, or maybe an early Jedi symbol.

Hey Timmythekid ! I agree, Anakin didn't think much of his lightsabers. But Obi-Wan clearly thought he should, at the very least, impart some sense of the Skywalker GRAFLEX being special to Luke so that Luke would hold it in high regard. And if Obi-Wan got lucky when he gave it to Luke, that Luke would want to become a Jedi like his father and seek the training he needed from Obi-Wan.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Aftermath book definitely established Jakku being a planet with a deep history with the Force and Palpatine knew about it and had a facility there as he apprenticed Gallius Rax. So Rey being there is no coincidence and her being left with Unkar Plut speaks volumes to the quality and character of whomever left her there.

Last edited:
@Carnet @Bryancd

And here I thought the expensive movie ticket I bought was enough to get the whole story. Sometimes the Star Wars universe has too much detailing, tie-ins, etc. I'm not the kind of fan to consume all of that. I watch the movies and expect them to be a whole product.

It also bears consideration that these trailers are tailored for impact. And they can include stuff that will never make the movie. The Tie-Fighter from the Rogue One trailer comes to mind. So who knows who he's speaking too. That line might not even be in the movie.

@Carnet @Bryancd

And here I thought the expensive movie ticket I bought was enough to get the whole story. Sometimes the Star Wars universe has too much detailing, tie-ins, etc. I'm not the kind of fan to consume all of that. I watch the movies and expect them to be a whole product.

It also bears consideration that these trailers are tailored for impact. And they can include stuff that will never make the movie. The Tie-Fighter from the Rogue One trailer comes to mind. So who knows who he's speaking too. That line might not even be in the movie.

Having read the books I don't think it will be necessary to read them to understand Rey as a character in the films, on screen w see her left there under duress with Plut and Jakku's association with the Force can be detailed in brief exposition. Luke is hiding out at an ancient Jedi temple, he probably knows the score.

So any predictions of what will happen in this film?

I will leave disappointed. :lol I hope not, but my guess is they are set on redoing the OT with new characters.

My feeling about Luke are that since they talk about the old ways that he is now open minded to both the Light n Dark which is the balance , not Jedi not Sith but both whereas he can fight with anger and with faith which in turn makes you stronger... Think, if you always are angry you fight to the first if you fight with logic you fight and maybe run away for another day but if you have both you are Unpredictable in every way which also make you stronger and more Dangerous! You Think?

Again, Lucas said it's a JEDI prophecy. Balance of the Force means total absence of the Sith with the Light Side having influence over everything. Also as a martial artist since I was a kid, I can tell you that anger doesn't always help. When I competed I intentionally tried to make people angry because they make mistakes when they are angry.

I agree with that to some extent. I had no problem with a Jedi creating their lightsaber as part of finishing their training. We don't need magic swords though. I could buy that a Force sensitive person might get a vision while picking up something, but not the object itself being aware or whatever. That's too goofy.

Well I've been told the reason Chewie looks so clean and well groomed by Rian himself.

Chewie has been on the island for a few months , where its a life of living in the open with roasted porg every night over the camp fire but damp and smoky leftovers in the morning . Theres nothing to do , he's bored without Han and it is, to be quite frank ,taking its toll on him.

Even the interior of the Falcon is getting more filthy from all the mud and ashes he's been trampling in everyday (why do you think its always looked like a dog has shaken itself up the walls for forty years). He's caught fleas from the porgs, the sand is getting everywhere and in the cockpit where he sits and cries over Hans empty chair every day his lost hair litters the flooring. He feels alone and unloved.

Reys gone off alot with Luke now (who clearly blames him for not protecting Han) but last time she came back she went all darkside over the state of the Falcon, and how she doesn't have to clean it up just because shes a girl ( even if Kylo Rens Force nick name for her is " Mary Sue" ), and if Chewie doesn't sort it out she'll skin him alive with her sabre and turn him into an interesting piece of furniture for the Falcons lounge area.

So for Chewie , still depressed over the crap way Han died and the fact old age is affecting his eye sight so badly he didn't manage to shoot Kylo anywhere fatal,hits rock bottom. He grabs a mop and bucket and wanders down to the sea to get fresh water.

As he glances down at his reflection he sees how different he looks now,old and tatty and is overcome by a fit of depression . There and then he decides to throws himself in, intending to end it all. Afterall Leia didn't hug him , Luke has clear gone mad and never visits, Reys a bitch and eatting so many porgs has given him gas so bad that if he farts by the camp fire he's indanger of setting himself alight.

But as he wades out into the ocean to drown, some porgs start to follow him. Actually they're more interested in all the sand fleas that are jumping out of his coat on little fur life rafts ,which are attracting the fish ,which the porgs scoff down. Chewie yammers at them to leave him alone so he can drown himself with dignity ,only to discover they're really good mimics and can talk back to him.

Chewie remembers Hans deep love of Wookie show tunes and sings the porgs Hans favorite song as a lament to his lost friend and the porgs are so impressed they join in with the chorus. Chewie realises he is the fabled "Chosen One" , the "Porg Whisperer" the caretakers of the island have been waiting for eons, not all these stupid jedi tourists that keep getting bitten by the sand fleas and catching a rare midichlorian disease that gave them alot of difficult personality issues to go along with the wierdly unpredictable raw powers.

Refreshed and with a new purpose to his life Chewie swims around the island trailed by flocks of singing porgs and he swears never to eat another. And when he makes land, the porgs follow him upto the Falocn, where in a touching and funny dance sequence ala Mary Poppins, they clean the ship together.

And when Rey returns shes so impressed she offers to give his fur a bit of a trim with the lightsabre (for the first time in forty years) and (with all the porgs hes eatten being so fat and juicy) Chewie realises his fur has actually taken on a special luxuriant shine that any Wookie over two hundred years old would really want.

So after another swim and a conditoning blow dry from the Falcons engines he gets Rey to lend him some of her jedi hair care products and gets R2 D2 to style it in for him with all the extra grooming tools Luke hid in him years ago ( when he knew he would need a good barber to loose that really wild " lost in the wilderness look" when he returned).

Chewie looks at himself in the Falcons mirror. He looks fabulous!!! Hes happy and content and smells great mainly because he's stopped passing porg driven farts every five minutes. Life is all good again.

Right up to the moment when the First Order steam back in ,and, after stealing Rey again (Oh boy, I think that young lady's gonna have kidnapping and torture issues later on in life to go with the "!Mary Sue complex"), they toast Porg Island .

And now Chewie IS pissed. Hes going to make the First Order pay.

The really story in the film is not about any "Last Jedi. Its "Porgies: Chewbaccas Revenge"!!!!!!!

And hes going to be well groomed about it.

PS This is for The Wook. Like everything else

Well, CT, when I plugged your post into the SWIQ-O-Meter, it started to smoke and whistle and shake and say over and over again, "DOES NOT COMPUTE! NON SEQUITUR! INSUFFICIENT DATA! ERROR!".

So I don't know quite what to make of your "explanation". lol

"But you can't trust anyone associated with Disney"

- The Wook

FTR, never said that.

I'm just kidding. I'm just playing on the ridiculousness of the notion that there's some Da Vinci Code level conspiracy around LFL and Disney Star Wars perpetuated by The Wook.

FTR, never said that either.

Josh, I give you ample ammunition against me. There's no reason to exaggerate my words or falsely ascribe quotes to me. lol

I think its safe to say that the big shots pulling the strings at Lucasfilm/Disney arent fanboys, this is strictly a business. If they knew that making luke a bad guy and going against everything we know about him would make a billion dollars, they would do whatever the hell it took to make that money. To say they give a damn about the characters, story and mythos is asinine.

You guys should listen to snikt, he knows the score.

I think one of the issues with Chewie, and other Wookies from the prequels, is that they have gotten too good at making the costumes.

Baloney! Neal Scanlan (TFA/TLF Chewie) and Dave Elsey (ROTS Chewie) can't hold Stuart Freeborn's jockstrap! Their decision to make Chewie's head so that there's not a hair out of place is just an example of their low SWIQs, because the masks look like crap compared to Stuart's OT Chewie, which looked like a real fracking animal, and not some plushy toy. And don't even get me started on their inability to get the mouth to open as widely as Stuart's!!

In form and function, both men failed. To make matters even worse, the filmmakers are CGing on top of the mask, and lying about it!

Have you ever seen a Wookies junk? Seems pretty micro to me.

Tyrion-21.gif

The Wook

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back